Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Breed characteristics and traits > Breed bans - BSL - Pit Bull bans

Old November 1st, 2004, 05:33 PM
Love all creatures

Donna Cansfield MPP

Look at this...I can't believe it..hmm..sounds familiar..I just got a letter back from her:

October 29, 2004

Dear Ms. Madej,

Thank you for your recent correspondance to my office regarding the government's proposed amendments to the Dog Owners' Liability Act.

I am pleased to inform you that the McGuinty government has taken another step to make our communities and neighbourhoods a safer place for all Ontarians. On Tuesday October 26, 2004, Attorney General, Michael Bryant introduced legislation that, if passed, would make amendments to the Dog Owners' Liability Act.

The proposed legislation would amend the Dog Owners' Liability Act to ban pit bulls in the province of Ontario. If passed, the legislation would allow existing pit bull owners to keep their dogs, however, these owners would be required to comply with strict new requirements, such as leashing and muzzling, and have their dogs spayed or neutered. Municipalities would be able to use their existing animal control powers to add further restrictions, specific to the needs of each community.

Additionally, if passed the legislation would toughen penalties for the owners of any dog that poses a danger to the public, by doubling fines up to a maximum of $10,000, and allow for jail sentences of up to six months for individuals who own dangerous dogs that bite, attack, or pose a threat. The legislation would also allow fines up to a maximum of $60,000 for corporations who own such dogs.

THe government's decision to ban pit bulls and place restrictions on existing pit bulls is a direct response to the overwhelming desire of the majority of Ontarians. In the past few months, Ontario has witnessed numerous serious attacks on innocent victims and family pets by pit bulls. As a result of these and previous attacks, the McGuinty government has received thousands of letters, emails, and faxes and phone calls from residents across Ontario sharing their stories and urging the government to act in the interest of public safety and to protect the rights of Ontarians in their communities.

The proposed legislation is designed to support municipal governments while respecting their authority under the Municipal Act, and avoid a patchwork of bans created by individual municipalities throughout the province. If passed, the legislation would be the first of its kind in North America.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to share your views on this important subject.

Yours truly,

Donna Cansfield MPP
Suite 200, 4800 Dundas Street West
Toronto, ON M9A 1B1
(416) 234-2800
fax: (416) 234-2276

AND FOLKS...THIS WAS MY REPLY!!!!!!!!!!

Dear Ms. Cansfield:

I am replying to the letter that I have received from you regarding the proposed pit bull ban. It is very unfortunate that the letter you have sent me has also been the exact same letter sent to me by more than one Liberal MPP. I know now that the liberal government is not interested in the rights and concerns of the public at all. The reason the McGuinty government is supposedly receiving concerns about public safety from a 'majority' of Ontarians, is because Michael Bryant refuses to listen to any other individuals or organizations that are against the ban, such as the Canadian Veterinary Medical Association, the Dog Legislation Council of Canada, the Toronto Humane Society (amongst many other rescues and humane societies within Ontario), etc. He is one sided, and as it seems to me, so are you.

I have done heavy research regarding this proposed legislation and I will say to you again that this is not the solution to the problem of vicious dogs. It is the owners that should be held accountable for their animal's actions, not a specific breed of dog. I am appalled at the Attorney Generals failure to grasp the chance to truely introduce legislation that would honestly protect the public, which this ban would not even begin to do. The PIT BULL BAN, which, Ms. Cansfield, you are "pleased to inform" me about, would result in the killing of thousands of innocent pets, or giving them up to experiment labs where they will be forced to live a life of pain and torture.

I am also angered by the fact that absolutely nothing is done to address the issue of animal exploitation, cruelty, and neglect, much of which is also a huge cause of this issue. Ms. Cansfield, dogs are not inheritantly aggressive, they are made aggressive by the irresponsible fools that own them for the wrong reasons. Can you tell me why nothing is being done about these types of people and issues? So far, I have not received an answer to this question from anyone that supports the ban. And please Ms. Cansfield, do not suggest to me that I should be contacting Michael Bryant, because it is more than apparent to me, that the man refuses to listen to anybody that disagrees with him.

I thank you Ms. Cansfield, for your superficial response to my concerns. I can assure your Ms. Cansfield, that you will not be receiving my vote in the next election, nor that of anyone I know.

Sincerely,
Violetta Madej

(I didn't send the letter yet..just waiting for some comments first)
Old November 1st, 2004, 05:52 PM
Senior Contributor

Sounds good to me. I think I would also send a copy to a copy of MPP in opposition. Maybe even add a CC: to it so she knows that you aren't happy with the obvious lack of concern or consideration to your e-mail, and maybe add a newspaper or two. I think if it gets around how much the Fibs are ignoring the public, it will make things even worse for them.

Good show!
Old November 1st, 2004, 06:56 PM
banned user

Donna Cansfield was a former school trustee, who hopped

to provincial politics. (Because it was There? ) Allan Rock, (he of the 'nobody needs to won a dog over 40 lbs', fame ) was the Fed Lib M.P. in that area.

I lived in that riding for 12 years & wasn't impressed with either of them in any capacity. I'm sure maybe that's where the idea of the Liberal Form Letter started. "When in doubt, do Nothing." ???? (We need a Snoring icon)

Perhaps it's time to start sending our own form letters with different headings so they can't just sort them & throw them? 1 spam deserves another.
Old November 1st, 2004, 07:00 PM
Senior Contributor

I say send them to every reporter who has been calling down the liberals. They'd love more ammo.
Old November 1st, 2004, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwinn
I say send them to every reporter who has been calling down the liberals. They'd love more ammo.

Agreed !!!!!!!!!!