Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Helping cats and dogs - Adoption - Rescue - Fostering - Lost & found > Foster talk - Rescue talk - NO listings please

Old November 1st, 2004, 05:25 PM
banned user

URGENT HELP NEEDED-Calling All Ontario/PQ Fosters

This message comes from the Canadiangoldens.com site.if you can help in ANY WAY Please get in touch with Quebec Golden Rescue AKA Margaret Blackman Anyway you can help is appreciated,donations of food and toys etc are always appreciated
margaret_blackman@hotmail.com[/email]

Quote:
I do not want to turn this site into a rescue platform, but we have a crisis on our hands at the moment.

As most of you know, I am a volunteer with Quebec Golden Rescue. We have been flooded this past week with urgent appeals to take in dogs (7 dogs so far in one week) and we just do not have the foster space to handle them all. We were able to take in 2 and find other rescue spots for two more (including a possibly pregnant female) (We have 5 goldens in rescue now).The other three are definately at risk to be killed or land up in puppy mills. I am frustrated as I am on crutches at the moment and had to send my own golden away, so I can not foster.

Ontario Golden Rescue has generously offered some of their foster homes, so the two males and the one female (see below) are safe, but I was hoping that some website members (maybe who live closer to the Ontario/Quebec border) might be able to help us as well.

We have received an email regarding a village in northern Quebec who round up all strays twice a year, take them to the village dump and shoot the dogs, yes shoot them. (death by bullet and electricucian are still legal in Quebec !!) The semi-annual round up is within the next two weeks. One sweet golden has been coming to this one house every day. She is very friendly and keeps asking to come inside the house.

We will be moving heaven and earth to get this girl to safety, (it is a 10 hour drive up to this village) but things have reached crisis proportions here. We have already taken in more rescues than last year and last year was a record year. (we re told that there are other golden strays in the same village, who will be shot as well - we do not have any further info about them at this time i.e. gone wild, etc.)

Anyone who could offer a foster home would be greatly appreciated.

Our website is www.geocities.com/goldenrescueqc and my email address is available from this website as well.

There was a discussion recently about the work involved in having two goldens. Fostering would be one way to find out if you are suited as a "double gold" household.

Thank you on behalf of Secours Golden Rescue Quebec

Margaret
Old November 1st, 2004, 06:29 PM
Senior Contributor

If Margaret has not done so, you can tell her to email the Gazette (West Island insert section) and ask them to publish this story. This insert has a huge audience, and a lot of animal lovers.

Tell her to send it to Alicia, email aambroziak@thegazette.com
Old November 1st, 2004, 06:37 PM
banned user

Thanks much

Thanks I will do that!
Old November 1st, 2004, 08:41 PM
banned user

It makes me sad to read the emails as I am a member of their mailing list so I'm updated often. They do such wonderful work there and try so hard to place every golden in the best possible home. I wish I could take one or more but 2 of my own plus my doggie day care is enough right now. I do know where my next golden will be coming from forsure!

Mysts38 you should think about having one from there it really can help teach little Hannah and you could not ask for a better brother or sister...
Old November 2nd, 2004, 10:19 AM
Senior Contributor

Margaret is a really nice lady - I hope she gets help with these dogs.

Death by bullet and electrocution is also legal in Ontario.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysts38
This message comes from the Canadiangoldens.com site.if you can help in ANY WAY Please get in touch with Quebec Golden Rescue AKA Margaret Blackman Anyway you can help is appreciated,donations of food and toys etc are always appreciated
margaret_blackman@hotmail.com[/email]
Old November 2nd, 2004, 10:27 AM
banned user

GoldenBlaze

They wont let me have a dog,I have a child under the age of 8
Old November 2nd, 2004, 10:46 AM
<-----nut ball

If they were desperate, I would consider helping. But I'm a little far from the border and I don't know if a Golden Retreiver would work in my living situation, not having a yard and all.
Old November 2nd, 2004, 10:50 AM

wouldnt they

wouldnt they even consider it in theese circumstances mysts i mean rehome to people with children under 8? Unfortunately my lease is no pets hope she finds homes for them
Old November 9th, 2004, 07:36 PM

I said I would be willing to foster one too, but I have young children at home also. I sent her an email.
Old November 10th, 2004, 06:56 PM
Senior Contributor

This is very sad

Why are there so many stray goldens? Why this paticular breed am I missing something?

I can't believe that this is their way of dealing with strays.....very sad especially if a pet got gathered at the same time by mistake, and thinking of it I'm sure it has probably happened.......very sad :sad:
Old November 12th, 2004, 08:07 PM

I have been in contact with the lady from the rescue and told her i was willing to foster one of her goldens and i told her i had three kids under 7 and she said she would try to find one that has prior experience with being around children so you should contact her again. She said she had one for me but we have since adopted a dog of our own.