Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Breed characteristics and traits > Breed bans - BSL - Pit Bull bans

Old October 29th, 2004, 01:04 PM

Circulate petition

There is written petition going on which is really important. Please, print a sheet, circulate it among friends and family and send it back to Sandra Always of the Dog legislative Council of Canada. ASAP This is very important!!!!
Marie Garand, Dog Legislative Council of Canada Translator

Sandra Alway:
Quote:
OK....the petition is available on BOTH the below sites! URGENT is the link on both sites! It is a pdf file and if you STILL cannot find it, email me privately and I will send it to you. I will also upload it into the files section of all of these yahoogroups.

Yes, send them all to me at
DLCC
P.O. Box 111
Grimsby, Ontario L3M 4G1

There is NO DUE DATE any longer.....this petition WILL run until this legislation is either passed into law or tossed in the trash where it belongs!

Sandra Alway
President of the Golden Horseshoe American Pit Bull Terrier Club
www.goldenhorseshoeapbtc.com
Ontario Canada
Vice President of the Dog Legislation Council of Canada
www.doglegislationcouncilcanada.org
Old October 29th, 2004, 01:53 PM
And Zoodle's Mom!

Welcome to the board!!! And thanks for the info on the due date of the petition.
Old October 29th, 2004, 05:40 PM

Hello Copper mom,
It is very important for all those concerned by the ban to have this petition printed, signed and returned to Sandra. There is an MP who insured her that if she can get 20 000 signatures, it will be presented in parliement. I will try to post here all that can be relevant for those interested in fighting BSl.
Old October 29th, 2004, 05:41 PM

Hey, I've noticed that the search and seizure part of this law really freaks people out. Most people think that only pit-bull owners homes can be searched.
They aren't mentioning the seizure part on the news. It really hits home when people realize that this law really does effect them.
Old October 29th, 2004, 05:50 PM

Hello Loki,

This legislation is extremely frightening. They can seize all dogs which look like a pit, or crossed with a pit and it is up to the owner to PROVE it is not one. I would not go in Ontario with my beagle cross! Every short-hair, stocky dogs in between 15 pounds and 150 pounds is at risk. In addition, Bryant mentionned that those dogs, which wont be allowed to be adopted, could serve in medical research. By laws, in Ontario, any publicly funded shelters have to give up upon demand by a lab all pets after a 3 days period of grace.
This are just a few reasons why Ontarians needs to wake up and fight the ban tooth and nail.
Old October 29th, 2004, 06:20 PM

About the petition:

Hey MarieG. I was curious about the address portion of the petition. Exactly what information is needed? Is street address alone alright? Or should city etc be squeezed in ?
Old October 30th, 2004, 10:08 AM

Hello Loki,
I would say street adress, twon and province (ON, QC etc..)
Old October 30th, 2004, 11:11 AM
Senior Contributor

It was my understanding that this petition needed to be signed by Ontario residents only and 100,000 signatures were needed.

Since there is no deadline, I would think that that many signatures would be easily doable. I know several people who have printed copies and posted them in such places as vet's offices, local pet stores, dog training facilities, etc.

Take copies shopping with you. Hang out in the pet section of your local store and talk to people. Take copies of the bill with you and highlight the "scary" parts. Make sure that people know about the search and seisure part and the "any dog that resembles a pit bull" part. With this law, any lab mix would be suspect.
Old October 31st, 2004, 12:34 PM

It's Halloween.
Might not be a bad idea to have a few petitions handy, for when people come knocking on your door..