Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old October 29th, 2004, 10:47 AM

Unhappy Dog won't eat - any Suggestions

I have a 1 1/2 year old Boxer/Malmute mix. She always ate pedigree dog food, 6 cups a day no problem. a couple of days ago she decided she doesn't want this food or any other dog food (tried canned dog food also). she will push the bowl away with her nose and even try to flip it over. I just dewormed her this week so I don't think this is a problem. she is still active, regular, no visible differences in her except she won't eat dog food. I have been able to get her to eat cut up bread with milk and gravy on it. She will still eat her dog treats, she will eat anything I have but will not eat dog food. Any suggestions?? Her health is fine and she seems exactly the same less the eating habit. I also have a 3 year old Shepherd/Rotweiller but his eating and behaving habits have not changed at all.
Old October 29th, 2004, 10:51 AM
Senior Contributor

Well, to start Pedigree is a very bad food for your baby. Did you worm her or did the vet?

Proud mommy to...
Meat Loaf (Brittany Spaniel) 13 months
CryBaby (5 years old)living with grandpa now
Chino (Doberman mix) 7 months old
2 new kittens (8 weeks old) Felix and Gizmo
Old October 29th, 2004, 10:55 AM

Jackie C

I went to the vet and got the medicine and did it myself. I have been giving it to my shepherd for 3 years and never had a problem. Why is Pedigree bad what should I be doing??
Old October 29th, 2004, 10:57 AM
banned user

nibbles

Quote:
I have been able to get her to eat cut up bread with milk and gravy on it
Therein lies your answer.If you leave the food you have given her,kibble and she doesnt eat it,,well if she gets hungry enough she will! By giving her human food,you have set up a problem for yourself now,in trying to get her off human food and back onto dog food

Change her food brands and go to a higher quality dog food,I would recommend Nutro Large breed adult
Old October 29th, 2004, 11:01 AM

Jackie C

thank you very much, I will definetly try that. I was just so worried about her that I was trying to get her to eat anything. I just couldn't figure out what to do because there appears to be nothing wrong with her. Her next visit to the vet is in less than two weeks.
Old October 29th, 2004, 11:42 AM

Don't ever feed your dog with human food. Not only does it creat a problem for you, human food just don't have enough nutritions for your doggy. Also, when you feed your doggy human food, he/she may develop a taste for it and doesn't ever want to touch dog food anymore (human food is so much tastier, dog and cat food only smells strong but taste wake because they can't have too much sodium and other stuff). I used to feed my cats Science Diet, but because I also bought a bunch of canned food (brought them from Canada to HK because don't know if HK seems their brand) and now they won't even touch the dry food (the canned food smells so good when it's heat up sometimes I even want to open a can for myself )!!!

Samantha/BB (11-month-old ~~ Born on Oct 9, 2007)

Mama (17-year-old) - passed away
Sabrina (11 year-old) - passed away on Feb 7, 2006
Meow Meow (8 year-old) - passed away on May 15

My nephew:
Bor Bor (6 year-old puppy)
Old October 29th, 2004, 11:49 AM

jackie c

Trust me I did not want to feed her human food but i couldn't watch her not eat anything. She never had any problem eating before and just suddenly decided she didn't want to eat anymore. We had aRottweiler for 13 years and she didn't eat human food, I have a 3 1/2 Shepherd and I don't feed him human food, i just wanted to get her to eat something. I tried canned food, heated, room temp, refrigerated you name it. I even tried mixing the canned with the hard, tried moistening the hard and the bread was a last resort. Because she showed no signs of anything wrong I could not get her into the vet until November.
Old October 29th, 2004, 12:20 PM
Senior Contributor

If there is nothing wrong with your dog, try getting her a better quality dog food (I feed Wellness). You will go from 6 cups to 1 1/2 cups a day, have a healthier dog and way less poop to clean up. Pedigree is very heavy on corn, which dogs cannot use or digest, so this is why you need to feed so much of it.

There is a type of Wellness you can add hot water to and it makes a gravy. Or you can put a few tablespoons of canned food in with it. Put the food down for her and walk away. If it's not gone in 15 minutes, take it away until her next feeding time. Offering her a dozen different choices is going to to result in a very finicky dog.
Old October 29th, 2004, 02:18 PM

jackie c

Thank you LUCKY RESCUE. I will take your advise. A cup and a half a day compared to 6 cups seems a big difference. Where do I find this type of dog food, is it easily available.
Old October 29th, 2004, 03:21 PM
Senior Contributor

My 75lb dog eats two cups a day. It's expensive, but one bag lasts a very long time, so the price is actually comparable if your dog eats 3 times less food!

You can go to the Mother hubbard site and look up "Wellness". You'll see a link that will give you a store locator.

HERE
Old October 30th, 2004, 10:55 AM

You can get Wellness in another Pet store. It's rather expensive but really good food. Also, with better quality food you will save more in the long term because your dog will be much healthier. Good luck to you and your doggy...

Samantha/BB (11-month-old ~~ Born on Oct 9, 2007)

Mama (17-year-old) - passed away
Sabrina (11 year-old) - passed away on Feb 7, 2006
Meow Meow (8 year-old) - passed away on May 15

My nephew:
Bor Bor (6 year-old puppy)
Old October 30th, 2004, 05:04 PM

try ketchup, worked with my puglet
Old November 4th, 2004, 11:41 AM

Smile Jackie C

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions over the dog. I am happy to report I took your advise and on Friday I put the food down for 15 minutes and she didn't touch it. Saturday morning same thing but man by Saturday night she was realizing this was it and she ate it all. Next morning only ate half her feeding but that night ate it all. She is doing fine and eating when she should.