Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Breed characteristics and traits > Breed bans - BSL - Pit Bull bans

Old October 27th, 2004, 10:44 AM

Email Peter Kormos. We need his help

Peter Kormos spoke against the proposed legislation yesterday in the legislature. Emails should be sent to him with thanks, breed info and anything that will help.

His email

pkormos.qp@ndp.on.ca(hasn't worked for me)

If it is returned fax: 905-732-9782

I sent the following and strongly urge everyone to write to him or call him.

Dear Mr. Kormos,

I am writing to thank you on behalf of many responsible pitbull owners for putting a reasonable position forward in the legislature yesterday. How can we ensure this goes to committee? I sent the following letter to AG Bryant and received no response from his office.

Mr. Bryant

I am writing to tell you that I find your behavior thoughtless and rash. I can tell that your remarks are coming from a position of fear and not knowledge.

I have a nine month old pit bull. He is my pet. He is not dog or human aggressive. I am his protector he is not mine. What I can tell you about these dogs is that they require a lot of exercise. I mean a lot of exercise and not just a leisurely walk on the leash. My backyard is tiny. If I can't take him out to the Off Leash he won't get the exercise he needs. It isn't fair that other dogs can be raised happy and healthy and not mine. What is the point of letting people keep their pitbulls if they will not be able to care for them properly? Why aren't you listening to the experts on this issue? I urge you to listen to the folks who have knowledge in this area. I think if you had to euthanize all these dogs personally or care for one, your position would quickly change.

Finally, my dog doesn't need a muzzle. He looks ridiculous with one on. People laugh because he is such a gentle little animal. He has never bitten anyone or another dog despite being snapped at on a number of occasions.

You should rethink this. You haven't asked the right questions. There is absolutely nothing creative about the solution you have proposed.

******Street
Toronto, ON
(416)***-****

I have also emailed all MPPs with the following,

Dear Member of Provincial Parliament,

I am writing to tell you that I find Mr Bryants behavior and recent actions thoughtless and rash. I can tell that his remarks are coming from a position of fear rather than contemplation and knowledge.

I have a nine month old pit bull. He is my pet. He is not dog or human aggressive. I am his protector he is not mine. What I can tell you about these dogs is that they require a lot of exercise. I mean a lot of exercise and not just a leisurely walk on the leash. My backyard is tiny. If I can't take him out to the Off Leash he won't get the exercise he needs. It isn't fair that other dogs can be raised happy and healthy and not mine. This proposed legislation is proposed cruelty to animals. What is the point of letting people keep their pitbulls if they will not be able to care for them properly? Why isn't Michael Bryant listening to the experts on this issue? I urge you to listen to the folks who have knowledge in this area. I think if Michael Bryant had to euthanize all these dogs personally or care for one, his position would quickly change.

Finally, my dog doesn't need a muzzle. He looks ridiculous with one on. Again, this is outrageously cruel. People laugh because he is such a gentle little animal. He has never bitten anyone or another dog despite being snapped at on a number of occasions.

Please consider the facts and the opinions of experts when you vote on this proposed legislation. There is absolutely nothing creative about the solution Michael Bryant has proposed.

Toronto, ON
M******
(416)888-9999

There are currently over 3,000 signatures on the attached petition against Breed Specific Legislation. There are a lot of families that will be affected by this proposed legislation.
http://www.petitiononline.com/mod_pe...ed.cgi?newban2

As you may know the petition carries over 8000 signatures now. I would appreciate it if you could tell me how I will know when this is raised in the legislature again.

Again, thank you for being a voice of reason and helping to ensure as you put it that there is full debate and that any attempt to short-circuit the process is thwarted.

88 ***** St
Toronto, ON
M88888
(416)***-***

Last edited by Dukieboy; October 27th, 2004 at 12:54 PM. Reason: wrong email, adding fax #
Old October 27th, 2004, 11:18 AM
Senior Contributor

I have written him also. I said we appreciated having his voice as reasoning. I also mentioned that the animal cruelty law also needs changing as it is 112 years old. i also mentioned the plight of these animals and the horror stories I have heard regarding the abuse of the animals...
Old October 27th, 2004, 11:25 AM

Marilyn Churley

Could be an ally. I emailed her for assistance.

marilyn_churley-mpp@ontla.ola.org
Old October 29th, 2004, 12:31 AM
banned user

This is the addy I have for Peter Kormos

pkormos-qp@ndp.on.ca

I got it to work on 3 occassions.

I hear Marilyn Churley is more of a cat person, but who knows? She hasn't been very responsive before to the anti-BSL sentiments but, a lot of people have changed their minds, lately.
Old October 29th, 2004, 04:05 PM

Emails to Bryant

I was told that any emails that are not supporting his ban are deleted by his assistants because he does not have any interest in reading them and that the assistants were also instructed to tell anybody calling for a meeting that didn't support the ban that he was too busy to meet with them. Lastly now that he realizes there is growing support for our side he is just going to try and ram this bill through. So the only way to get through to this man is to get to the other Liberals.
I think it was Marilyn Churley who was on a talk show this week and she said they must vote with thier party other wise they are ostercized. (spelling??)

I have a question does this mean we need to register our dogs with the city or the police can come and take them away once this passes. Cause I can prove I have had my dog for 12 years and the other for 2 through vet bills.
Old October 29th, 2004, 06:02 PM

Hello Kelli and others..

Keep e-mailing and writing your MPs...be very clear: there is a vote at the hand of the leash and they better listen cause dog owners wont forget.

Sorry all to be quite blunt. I am with the dog legislative council of Canada, I am the translator (French-English). I am involved now for close to two years fighting BSL. I am attracting your attention on the thread I started on the petition. Please circulate it and get signatures in writing!! It is dog ownership in Canada which is at risk here. In Italy, BSL is now affecting over 90 breeds of dogs, including corgi!! Please dont take it lightly. We are in a very slippery slope, if we dont stand up now and stop this craziness, your dog may be next.
Old October 30th, 2004, 12:53 AM
banned user

Exclamation Kelli, please get licenses for your dogs if you don't already have them.

It seems to me that 'licensing' was mentioned as a deciding factor, by Bryant some time ago.
Old October 31st, 2004, 01:23 PM
Love all creatures

I think that if he only wants to meet with people that support his ban, someone should make an appointment with him saying they don't agree with the ban, and once they get an appointment and are actually talking to him..they should spill it all...about what they REALLY think about his stupidity.. MUAHAHAHAHA

ehem..sorry..