Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Breed characteristics and traits > Breed bans - BSL - Pit Bull bans

Old October 23rd, 2004, 04:14 PM
Love all creatures

Demonstration Went Well Today!

Hello guys. Just got back not too long ago. I thought I would let the rest of you know that couldn't show up..that it was quite successful...I'm hoping there will be more demos in the upcoming months of this year. Thank you to those of you that attended, we had a great turnout! Here are some pictures I just HAVE to post!

Old October 23rd, 2004, 04:57 PM
Meaghan Edwards

Great to hear how things went! Great shots.
Old October 23rd, 2004, 06:29 PM

I attended also, and was quite impressed with how well things went.
Everybody responsible for this should be quite proud, they did a great job.

There was a girl with this adorable white pit-bull puppy that seemed to be getting alot of attention from photographers. Hopefully, a cute pit-bull picture will make it to the papers tommorrow.
Old October 23rd, 2004, 06:29 PM

I thought the turn out was good as well as the speakers . But the one point that was made regarding all the groups banning together hits the nail on the head .That is what must happen it will be easier to fight in the courts if all the donations go to one place . Bryant can ignore small groups but neither he or the liberal party can ignore a loud , aggressive , well focused rather large group of voters from around the whole province that are flying the same flag . I look forward to the next ralley or march.

Pittbulliest I think you owe me 4 bucks LOL ?
Old October 23rd, 2004, 06:33 PM
banned user

Score....
Old October 23rd, 2004, 09:30 PM
banned user

Good for you, glad you and the others had a good turn out. I love your doggie what a face " look at me " and the coat well that is something. I was looking at the same coat for Jordie from Wal-Mart.. love them so cute. Again happy for you all
Old October 23rd, 2004, 09:52 PM
Senior Contributor

Great Job!!

I can't begin to tell you how much I would have rather been there then at work.
Old October 24th, 2004, 12:16 AM
Love all creatures

Seeker.. ahhh that was you..thank you so much for your help... ahh I feel bad..lol next time I see you for sure! lol

Old October 24th, 2004, 12:43 AM
banned user

Talking We had a Great Time @ the Rally!!!!!

met a lot of people I knew only 'on line'. Even though 'Univited' the dogs & puppys gave us a lot more air time on various news spots than we would have had without them. (I was Totally Not in favour of dogs attending, & I stand Totally corrected.)
Old October 24th, 2004, 08:09 AM

PB Yeah that was us and don't worry about it , I am just glad parking wasn't $20 LOL.
Akeeter . I think that by asking for no dogs most will not bring them but a few will and that is OK . It certainly was yesterday but I didn't see the dogs get any "AIR"time on any channel I watched and I wonder how much differnt that would have been if there had been an "incident" ? But at least they can't speculate by saying "there were no dogs in attendance because the organizers feared a large brawl"
My biggest concern was if people had brought all their dogs the mess that could have been left at Queens Park .
Let's keep the ball rolling here and like the man said "band together" as one very loud group.
Old October 24th, 2004, 11:50 AM

I am very happy for you all for such an awesome turn out! Loki posted a link to an article in the Toronto Sun though, that paints a much different picture. I am really pissed at the stupid reporter for making such biased and unfounded statements..... Here's the link. Thanks for it Loki! http://www.canoe.ca/NewsStand/Toront...24/682787.html

Also, here is an e-mail I want to send to the writer, but please let me know if I should or not. i want to help your cause, not hurt it and I think I may be sounding really rude. I don't want to come accross that way so please give me suggestions on what I should write, so she knows this is pissing people off all across Canada, not just Ontario!

Dear Ms. Mandel,

Your article in the Toronto Sun infuriates me, and I don't even live in Ontario! You are making the pit bull out to be an uncontrollable dog for anyone to handle. With patience and training, even a 180 pound mastiff is easy to handle!

The protesters are right, childeren do need to be more educated about ALL dogs in general. I don't own a pit bull or know anyone that does, but I own 1 border collie and 2 Australian Cattle dog crosses. I took my oldest Australian Cattle dog to the Pet Expo here in Calgary last year as I was manning a booth to promote my dog walking services with some friends. I was SHOCKED at how many kids ran up to my dog and just started petting her! They didn't ask me, and they didn't let her sniff first, just started petting! Lucily, my dog is pretty patient, but even she has limits. Most dogs have no respect for kids at all or see them as playmates because they are typically the size of a dog. Parents need to be more diligent in teaching their kids how to respect dogs, and not just run up screaming "DOGGIE!! LOOK AT THE DOGGIE!!!" and pet them. Some dogs will snap as they feel they are being threatened. Don't get me wrong however, I am not in any way saying that the victims of pit bull or any other dog related attacks are to blame, the irresponsible owners of these dogs are.

Why do you feel the need to point out that Mr. Cathcart was having control issues with his dog? His dog is in a new environment surrounded by people. ANY dog would get excited and want to go see what's going on. The pit bulls were asked to be left at home because of what you said. THEY ARE BRED TO FIGHT!!!! They are bred to fight other dogs, not humans and any pit bull for fighting that even showed the slightest aggression towards humans, was euthanized. Why would demonstartors want more negative publicity by bringing their dogs out to something with lots of people, noise, and potentially other dogs? Well, you managed to give them negative publicity anyways, so good for you. You must be very talented to make something out of nothing.

I think the media needs to educate themselves on pit bulls and dogs in general. You seem to have the misconception that all dogs should be born perfect. I'm sorry, but with ANY breed, especially labs and golden retrievers, you need to have patience, understanding, and a damn good trainer. Did you know that in 2002, golden retrievers bit and drew blood more than any other breed in Calgary? These stats aren't even published or released to the public, and I only know through a friend that works for the City. I'll bet if they were, Calgary would be banning goldens, not pit bulls. Maybe do your research on dogs in general and then see how pit bulls fit in. They are just like many other dogs in the world, but thanks to people like you, they have a bad rep. Wake up and stop writing such biased and opinionated stories. It's an embarassment to the journalism community.

Sincerely,

Pami Atwal
Old October 24th, 2004, 12:08 PM

send it.

all your points are valid.
Old October 24th, 2004, 12:10 PM
And Zoodle's Mom!

It was good to hear that all went well!! I saw it on the news and was glad to see a good turnout of people.

My mother's husband said to me "It was a good thing you didn't make it to Toronto because it would have been a waste of your time. There was hardly any people that showed up there." Of course I didn't believe him(he's a know-it-all). He infuriates me at times.

I hope this demonstration will cause some ***** for Michael Bryant. GOOD JOB TO ALL WHO ATTENDED and a BIG THANKS!!!!
Old October 24th, 2004, 12:55 PM

hey. the star gave it some good press. at least they are being objective, not like michele whats-her-name of the sun (i sent her a nice email)

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/Con...l=968793972154
Old October 24th, 2004, 02:59 PM

Copper'smom We were expecting between 50 and 80 people and that is what the organizers applied for . I have heard media reports of anywhere from 200 to 300 and in my opinion there was over 200 . Not bad I would say because most only heard about it last Tuesday .
Keep spreading the word and try to make the next one .
Old October 24th, 2004, 04:17 PM
banned user

Red face Hey Seeker, which was your dog, & who was you? LOL!

Are you on the big lot of pics that Peter/homer took? We were at the back petting dogs & yelling.
Old October 24th, 2004, 05:07 PM

I didn't bring my dogs and I don't think I am in any pictures . I clapped alot and yelled a little other than that I am pretty forgetable . But I do plan to be in Bryants face if it get to that .
Old October 24th, 2004, 06:29 PM

Here is the misguided, sensationalizing, trying to get on the front page reporter's email:
michele.mandel@tor.sunpub.com <michele.mandel@tor.sunpub.com>
Now not just Michael Bryant needs our letters, but this woman deserves to get a host of emails in her inbox!!
Old October 24th, 2004, 10:05 PM

I second that! Mine is already there, waiting for her to open.....signed, sealed, delivered!!!
Old October 25th, 2004, 10:04 AM
Senior Contributor

Great turn out and for the few who's dogs did come they did the breed proud. All in all I think it was a good and for the most part I think the press was pretty fair except the Sun. Actually I found it suprising and did email her and the editor about her lack of research and asked if she was even at the same demonstration that I was at.
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog