Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 6th, 2014, 11:58 AM
DougG DougG is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Laurentiens, Quebec
Posts: 120
New Cat / Medi-Cal SO Alternatives...

If all goes as planned I'll adopt a young male Persian next week. Can't wait! Such a beautiful boy. I'll be posting pictures for sure.

The cattery owner said he had a bout with crystals and a blockage last year and their vet put him on Medi-Cal SO. He's been on this food ever since, and hasn't had any more problems. I'll get some of this food (canned + dry) for starters but I would rather not keep him on it of course.

My other cats eat mostly Wellness canned (chicken / turkey in rotation) with a bit of Wellness kibble. Is Wellness okay for a cat who has had crystals? Pointers & advice would be appreciated.

To think that I used to know all of this by heart...
Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2014, 01:07 PM
Longblades Longblades is offline
Senior Contributor
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 2,496
I knew all this at one time too. I was able to put the male kitten who had crystals back on regular but lower ash content food. That was 20 years ago and I think most cat foods are now lower in ash than his was.

Our more recent female who had Cholangial Hepatitis could not go back on regular food. I tried, she got sick again. The Vet foods (my Vet had three brands of urinary tract food and they all cost a fortune) have some ingredient that thwarts crystals in much higher count than any regular commercial food I found. What the heck was that ingredient? Sadie has been gone a year and a half and I forget. Old age by the way, 18. We didn't think she would make it that far with her health history.
Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2014, 07:40 PM
DougG DougG is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Laurentiens, Quebec
Posts: 120
I won't be adopting him unfortunately, but for an unexpected reason. He had his pre-adoption checkup about ten days ago and the vet found inflammation in his left ear - turns out it's a polyp which will have to be removed surgically. The cattery owner has to keep him until further notice.

However I will be adopting another boy - a fine looking red & white male who won a Champion title (I don't know when or where, but I'll find out soon).

Expect pictures for sure.
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Terms of Use

  • All Bulletin Board Posts are for personal/non-commercial use only.
  • Self-promotion and/or promotion in general is prohibited.
  • Debate is healthy but profane and deliberately rude posts will be deleted.
  • Posters not following the rules will be banned at the Admins' discretion.
  • Read the Full Forum Rules

Forum Details

  • Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
    Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
    vBulletin Optimisation by vB Optimise (Reduced on this page: MySQL 0%).
  • All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:44 PM.