Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Helping cats and dogs - Adoption - Rescue - Fostering - Lost & found > Foster talk - Rescue talk - NO listings please

Old October 20th, 2004, 07:29 PM

Question Boxer rescue.... thoughts

Hi guys,
We might be adopting a boxer within the next few weeks.... and I just wanted to double check with all of you that the rescue we are going through is legit, on the up and up etc... its www.boxerrescueontario.com I am pretty confident it is all right, and they seem like very careing and compassionate ppl, I just know that some of you seem to be in the "know" about all things rescue, and wanted your opinion before we send money.
Thanks so much guys
Old October 20th, 2004, 07:57 PM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

Boxer Rescue Ontario

All the reports we've had about them are that they are good people. Rosie Animal Adoption has worked with them on a few occasions as have some other rescues in Quebec.
Old October 20th, 2004, 08:18 PM
Senior Contributor

From what I know of them, through correspondance, they seem very reputable and caring. Boxer Rescue registered here as well!

They are the ones who took the pitiful Buddy in (who I posted on this board) and returned him to health.
Old October 20th, 2004, 09:57 PM

Phew... thats great news. They seemed on the up and up, but I've learned since being a member here...check first!! Thanks for the reassurance If this falls through, for some reason (with Jack) We are still looking for a boxer, or Bulldog, or Boston Terrier, Pug, etc...
I really LOVE the all white Boxers, as we already have an all-white Eng. Bulldog!!
Old October 20th, 2004, 11:46 PM

boxer rescue ontario

Hi Sheriffsmom. I work with boxer rescue ontario. I am a foster home but i also help with the adoption process(phone interviews and matching dogs). Boxer rescue is very legit. We are very careful and try to match the dogs to adopters. We are also a registered charity. we placed over 100 boxers yesterday. If you have any q's i would be more then willing to answer. You've probally dealt with Barb she is a great lady.
Old October 21st, 2004, 09:09 AM

Hi,
No, I dealt with Francine. I guess the only concern I have is having to pay $50 up front, before even seeing the puppy. I would LOVE to adopt a boxer (especially a White or brindle one... but any color is also fine!). It sounds (got an email this am) that we might not get Jack... something about the rescuers having "cold feet"!?! :sad: I guess we'll keep looking.
Old October 21st, 2004, 09:38 AM
Senior Contributor

Since you like the white Boxers have you thought about getting a deaf one. Not nearly as scary as it sounds and actually they are very easy to train just requires a little more patients. Also some are only partially deaf.
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old October 21st, 2004, 09:43 AM

We have no problem adopting a deaf/ close to deaf dog, as long as we know he can be trained, and that he is not dog agressive.
Also.... I don't think we are dealing with boxerrescue Ontario, their email says "Take me Home ON&QU adoptions" is this the same as Boxer rescue of Ontario?
Old October 21st, 2004, 09:47 AM
Senior Contributor

No they are not associtated. I am pming you
Old October 21st, 2004, 11:41 AM

Thanks Mastifflover,
Got the PM... I will stay away from them!! It breaks my heart though... Jack looks like he needs a good home pronto... he looks very skinny!! I would love to have this little darling... See attached photo.
Attached Images

Old October 21st, 2004, 12:02 PM
Senior Contributor

He does look like he needs you. If you get him make sure you take him to your vet and have him checked out and let them know you will be doing this. They should not have a problem if they are legit. It would give you peace of mind because he is real cute.
Old October 21st, 2004, 12:13 PM

boxerrescue ontario

Hi Sheriffsmom Go to www.boxerrescueontario.com If you are interested in a boxer. On the website there will be avail dogs and also more about boxer rescue. Then go to adopting and read the entire page at the bottom of the page is the adoption application Fill that out and then i believe barb sends out an e-mail about waiting and there might be a wait. I know we have about 30 people on the pending list and i forget how many on the waiting list. Please do not be discouraged by the number of people wanting to adopt. We had someone applied about a month or so ago and just got a boxer last week and then we have had people waiting for months(it depends on what age you are willing to adopt up to and whether you have cats,dogs,kids) We screen home very throughly And we do phone interviews and home checks

All dogs are spayed/neutered and shots up to date when adopted through boxer rescue. They are also microchipped.

If you have any Q's just ask me or call Barb. She is the adoption director
Old October 21st, 2004, 01:02 PM
Senior Contributor

OMG! Where is that poor baby?? He certainly does need someone.
Old October 21st, 2004, 01:20 PM

From what I understand he is at: Fourriere Municipale Refuge Centre d'Adoption Lac St-Jean
1770 Chemin du Moulin Nord
Alma
The lady said she has "cold feet" I don't know if she meant about us... or bringing Jack to Ontario.?? So I don't know if there is even a chance of us getting him :sad: But, if not we'll keep trying. We really love the White boxers (and I have always loved the brindle coloring.... but whatever comes our way!!!)
It is really hard for us right now, having 2 dogs that we wanted to adopt fall through in 2 days!! I think we might take a rest, and stop actively searching, and just wait for the door to open... not keep pushing Hopefully that might work.... it's how I met Hubby (stopped looking for Mr. Right, and a few wks later he showed up out of the blue :love: )
Old October 21st, 2004, 03:01 PM
Senior Contributor

Do you mean they won't give you the dog?

I cannot find find that pound or shelter or whatever it is listed anywhere.
Old October 21st, 2004, 04:21 PM

Sherriffsmom-boxer rescue

If you want to atleast put in an app with boxer rescue. It could take sometime and we havent declined too many people for boxers(but we are very throughel(sp) with the phone interview and homecheck).
Old October 21st, 2004, 04:30 PM
banned user

Just a question?
It is not true that a white boxer would be a "kick back"
there are no white boxers for breed standard. My brother has 4 boxers now and had a white female Jazz they rescued from a place in Quebec somewhere not sure what one. Anyway wow she was not at all like their other boxers, she was bad. Did not matter what they did she did not ever slow down and stop chewing beds, sofa's MG it was something. My borther's family loved her and kept her till her last day which was 14yrs they rescued her about 7 yrs earlier. Jazz now sets on the mantle beside Kayla 13yr boxer that was an angel. From what I learned from my brother white as in many other like Australian Sheperds are not how do I say it... normal and will have health problems?
Old October 21st, 2004, 04:53 PM
Senior Contributor

With the white boxers they do tend to be deaf and have more health issues. But I have a friend who has a white and a brindle and funny his white has never been sick a day and his brindle much more often. I think it is the luck of the draw with any albino dog.
Old October 21st, 2004, 06:37 PM

Hey Mastifflover I have also looked at Take me Home dogs but they are all in Quebec and not able to see them without adopting them first. Is there something wrong with these people
Old October 21st, 2004, 10:53 PM

Boxer Rescue.... sorry if I wasn't clear... I will definetly apply at your website, I just meant that I was going to try and be more patient, and not be so aggressive about searching. Hopeing (sp??) that when the time is right, and the right dog is in need, everything will click into place!! We really would love another dog, (a brother or sister for Sheriff ) but in terms of moving as quickly as we did with Take me home (and Jack), I think we will be a little more cautious. Hope this clarifies a little
NonoBad Dog- I am concerned about the way we were dealt with by Take Me Home rescue (their petfinder address says Mississauga). After one email, which was a basic who/what/where we are "get to know us"email, we were approved for Jack (the dog we were specifically requesting after, as he was listed on petfinder). Then when we asked to meet him, we were told we couldn't and we would need to confirm adoption, and send $50 to Quebec, then pick him up at a designated time. We emailed back that we would need to talk it over, as we have another dog at home, and it would be a huge problem if the 2 did not get along... our dog is our child, and any new dog brought into our home would be our child as well. How after you adopt can you just give the dog back? For us this would be heart breaking!!
Anyway, we talked it over, and emailed them back stateing with all the info she had provided (email stateing Jack was housed in the shelter's very small office along with 4 other dogs, and a cat, and they got along great) we were willing to adopt Jack. We then got an email stateing they had "cold feet", we wern't sure if they meant us or Jack, as they provided us with the pick-up time and place. I emailed back stateing due to our professions (both emerg. service workers) we would be unable to get that specific day off without more notice. We asked if she had any suggestions, could she keep Jack for an extra day etc... We then got the following email back:
We have elected to choose an Ottawa couple, experienced with his breed. They do not have an other dog who may not accept him or cause the family to give him up. We felt that you were not truely decided or committed and this email seems to be confirming our doubts. Our adopters usually make great efforts to be free whenever their newly adopted dogs can finally be taken home.
Thank you and good luck in your search.
Francine

By the way... all these emails were within a 2 day period. So we were approved (with no home visit, and no phone call), asked questions about meeting Jack, told no, then consented to continue with adoption, agreed to by rescue, then told they "had cold feet" and where and when to pick up Jack, Unable to make the date/time they had arranged, told we were not dedicated or committed and they had doubts (all along from the sounds of their email) and we wern't flexible enough.
From the way this was handled by them I would strongly advise you take care with them. Ask lots of questions, get them to fax you a contract with their signatures etc... Take care not to be duped. I am not saying they are not on the up and up.... I just have concerns over the way the adoption of Jack has been handled, and I am little leary of them and would certainly take care not to be mislead.

PS- they called Jack 2 different names on Petfinder (Jack and Max)
Old October 22nd, 2004, 07:21 AM

Yes i think all that would make me leary too. I know that most rescues do applications, phone interviews and home visits and make sure that current dogs meet the new dog to see if they get along.

It would be stupid to adopt a dog without seeing if the new dog would get along with your current pets.

Please apply at Boxer Rescue They are a great organization who take alot of work to make sure that the dogs go to the best possible homes not the just the first home with money which happens too

Good luck and do let us know if you get something
Old October 22nd, 2004, 10:04 AM
Senior Contributor

Take Me Home is throwing red flags up all over any reputable rescue is going to want a interview in person or by phone and most rescues even if they are far away from you will arrange a home visit by someone in the area who they trust. Most rescues want these dogs to find a forever home and if they were asked by the perfect owners for a dog they have if they could pick him up in a few days or whatever they would certainly be willing to work with you. They would not be sending emails back saying you have cold feet or not committed. I think the exact opposite would go through their minds you are trying to make arrangements so when you get the dog you will be able to introduce it to its new home and surroundings slowly and spend time with it. Not pick it up and rush home and put it in the house and leave because you have to go back to work. Leaving a new dog in new surroundings would probably scare the poor thing and would have no idea what is going on. I feel bad that you did not get Jack but all things happen for a reason. I would stay away from Take me Home that is my personal opinion.
Old October 22nd, 2004, 10:18 AM
Senior Contributor

Take me Home is a broker. They haven't even seen the dogs they have up for adoption, so they cannot tell you squat about them. They are NOT rescue.
Old October 22nd, 2004, 03:08 PM
Senior Contributor

The only listing I could find for the address they gave of this "pound" is a pet supply store, at 1770 Chemin du Moulin in Alma, but there was no "Nord" on the address.
Old October 22nd, 2004, 03:11 PM
Senior Contributor

Their address is listed as Mississauga Ontario
Old October 22nd, 2004, 03:43 PM

The address for the place to pick up the dogs is Mississauga (4089 Mississauga Rd ) However all that is listed with this address is a cell phone #.
The "pound" they say the dogs are comming from is:
Fourriere Municipale Refuge Centre d'Adoption Lac St-Jean
> 1770 Chemin du Moulin Nord
> Alma
> QC
> G8B 5V2
They also want you to mail a money order to the above address in the name of Jimmy Maltais, who they say is the "pound manager". ( the money order must be sent, in order to be considered for the adoption)
Something in my gut is just saying something may be off. However, if they are indeed a real and reputable rescue, then hopefully my bad experience, was just a one shot deal.

PS- I have saved all incomming and outgoing emails with this rescue, so everything listed above can be proven.
Old October 22nd, 2004, 03:57 PM

Ok from what i have gathered today the dogs are in a pound in Northern Quebec run by family member and she helps him by advertising the dogs down here. She only gets a small portion of the money the rest goes to the gentleman that runs the pound. She used to bring them down in a big group but if they weren't adopted she ended trying to find foster homes for them. I know this isn't a perfect way of doing things but I think she is trying to do her best. Most of the dogs up there were being put down before she agreed to do this
Old October 22nd, 2004, 04:08 PM
Senior Contributor

Adopting out intact dogs that have not been assessed in any way shape or form, at adoption days with no references or home visits done, is not rescue.
Old October 22nd, 2004, 04:20 PM
Senior Contributor

I agree if you are adopting and charging these dogs should be vetted and spayed or neutered. No ifs and or buts. This would not be a rescue unless they were doing these things. I am sorry but some of those dogs listed I will bet are from a mill or byb.
Old October 22nd, 2004, 04:50 PM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

A Question

Fourriere Municipale Refuge Alma is on Petfinder site.... is this the same Organization? They used to have many dogs posted now seem to have none. Just curious if anyone knows ... as we know of people who adopted from them a short while ago.
Thanks.