Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time! > Senior dogs

Old November 5th, 2013, 08:39 PM
Kelly (Rainbow Bridge)

Question Dental bone loss

Our dog had her teeth cleaned and the vet advised that there is 50% bone loss in the small front teeth. She recommended extraction before the teeth actually fall out. The dog is not bothered with any problem presently; and we are now brushing her teeth. Can we be advised of others who have had the same experience, and is there a way of maintaining the bone structure or improving it in order for her to keep her teeth.
Old November 5th, 2013, 10:36 PM
Senior Contributor

How old is she, Barbsy? I really don't know of any way of saving them and by leaving them there loose she could get food stuck and end up with infected gums or worse . I had to have a number of teeth removed from a sheltie's mouth and just by soaking her food she managed quite okay after it. It had been hurting her, her trying to pick up pellets with the incisors all wobbly.
Old November 6th, 2013, 08:26 AM
Kelly (Rainbow Bridge)

Dental Bone loss

She's approx. 8 or 9 years old - small spaniel mix. She has been okay with her dry dog food and dental chews. Vet said most of the chewing is on the sides. So far, no indication of discomfort.
Old November 6th, 2013, 10:22 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

I'd want to know the risks of leaving the teeth in there and falling out naturally.

I'm not a vet and I could be way way off...but this doesn't sound necessary at this time so why put dooger through this? AND the dooger was likely under anaesthetic already....why didn't they ask you if you wanted it done at that time?
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old November 6th, 2013, 01:30 PM
Kelly (Rainbow Bridge)

Dental Bone Loss

The vet did not take the teeth out as the dog had already been under anesthetic to have her teeth cleaned. An appointment was made for another time. My question was to see what we can do to strengthen the bone structure to ward off removal at this time. The teeth are not loose and have 50% bone yet and she has no problem eating. If we see any discomfort, we would proceed; for now, all seems okay. If there is a vet who could answer; or someone who is really knowledgeable in this area, I'd appreciate a reply from them.
Old November 6th, 2013, 03:50 PM
Senior Contributor

How about calcium pills for dogs , you need to be careful and not give your dog too much calcium . Or trying feeding your dog food that calcium and is safe for dogs to eat.
Old November 6th, 2013, 06:28 PM
Kelly (Rainbow Bridge)

Dental bone loss

We are taking her for a second opinion next week. This will lay to rest as to whether or not we should go ahead with the extractions. But, as I mentioned, she eats good, shows no loose teeth, and no discomfort.
Old November 6th, 2013, 09:05 PM
Senior Contributor

Getting a second opinion it a very smart thing to do. I had a vet tell me last dog had a heart murmur and that needed a $200 x ray right away and would not let the vet do it then she said , I would need to bring my dog in to be seen every 2 months. I took my dog to another vet and he said heart was fine. I knew vet was full of it because my dog was hearing dog and they have check up before beginning any training. Some vets are in for it for the $$$ more than caring about the pets.
Old November 8th, 2013, 12:02 PM
Kelly (Rainbow Bridge)

Dental bone loss

Thank you, Barkingdog, for your support for a second opinion. Amazing about your situation with your dog; saved your dog from going through a procedure, as well as, saving you the dollars. I certainly will reply after next Wednesday's appointment.