Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > On topic - Pet chat, opinions, feelings and rants

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old June 22nd, 2009, 06:33 PM
mikischo's Avatar
mikischo mikischo is offline
Mickey, my angel
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada
Posts: 1,185
It shoud be illegal for a landlord to deny a pet owner from renting a property.

Recently Bill 12 which would have made it illegal for landlords to deny pet owners from renting properties was put forth in the Province of Manitoba. Unfortunately it was not passed.:sad: The results were as follows:

http://winnipeghumanesociety.ca/ExecDirector/?p=12

Although I am not personally affected by this as I live in my own home, I am all for ending discrimination against pet owners by landlords and it would certainly help to prevent a lot of heartache and reduce the number of homeless pets, and healthy pets that have to be euthanized in the City of Winnipeg. I am greatly saddened that our MLA's in Manitoba did not pass this bill. I will be writing some strong emails to them as well as an email applauding Jon Gerrard for attempting to have the Bill passed. I am also looking into starting petitions to see if this would help to reinact the Bill if that is possible.

How do others feel about this and how many people in other provinces and states are affected by the lack of laws preventing landlords from discriminating against pet owners? Apparently, pet owners who live in Ontario are among the lucky ones who do not face this discrimination.
__________________
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The animals share with us the privilege of having a soul." -Pythagoras
"The soul is the same in all living creatures, although the body of each is different." -Hippocrates
"Let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." -Jack Layton
"Be the change you want to see in the world" -Gandhi

Kitties: Punky (13), Tweeky (6), and Sassy (7)

SweetMickey 1991 to May 24, 2009

Last edited by mikischo; June 22nd, 2009 at 06:35 PM. Reason: Had to complete unfinished sentence
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old June 22nd, 2009, 07:35 PM
TacoGrl's Avatar
TacoGrl TacoGrl is offline
Sleep..What is that?!?
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Calgary, AB Canada
Posts: 909
What I hate is that landlords are allowed to charge a non-refundable pet deposit that can be as high as they want...there are no limits set! The law states that damage deposit cannot be higher than one month's rent, yet these non-refundable deposits are allowed ON TOP of the regular DD??? To top it off, landlords say the fees go towards recarpeting and painting??? I'd like to see at least one of these places EVER recarpeted much less painted? Last time I checked painting a rental unit is part of "normal wear and tear" and should be done after every tenant (if tentant has been there longer than 2 years). As for carpeting, it should be replaced every five years or so too...people just "living" on the cheap carpet landlords put down warrants this

As for legislation, here in Alberta, there was a law passed that people aren't allowed to discriminate against children in rental properties (unless they are condos being rented in an adult only building), but they can still discriminate against pets. When was the last time you had a pet running screaming down the halls, breaking windows, cussing you out, or throwing a temper tantrum? The way some people are bringing their spawn up now days, I CHOOSE to be as far away from them as possible!

I see the other side of it too...I have looked at apartments where iresponsible pet owners have lived and OMG! I think the solution is to have inspections say ever six months to make sure things are being taken care of and if not, eviction...make sure it is VERY clear in the lease that this will take place and have a witness sign. This way no one even has to charge a damamge deposit, much less these cash grab non-refundable ones and hopefully if people know they will be evicted, then they will either go elsewhere to rent or respect the property they are renting.
__________________
Mooki & Jaeger

Mom to
Seth - Brown Tabby
Messina - Blonde Tabby
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old June 22nd, 2009, 07:36 PM
Melinda's Avatar
Melinda Melinda is offline
Senior Contributor
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 5,248
talk to a few landlords, my cousin allowed (you aren't really allowed to say no, to tenants in ontario) this nice clean young couple to keep their two dogs, they showed proof that they were fixed, long haired shepherds.....even showed vet papers, too bad they weren't for those two dogs, anyways, about a year later he got a complaint from a neighbour about all the noise coming from that part of the duplex....so he went to see the "clean" young neighbours, and was greeted at the door by the two adult dogs and 8-9 month old pups...the new carpets were ruined,walls were chewed through, doors were all gouged out, they said they would replace/repair everything for my cousin to get a contractor over, with in 24 hours they moved out and skipped town............so you have to see both sides of the pictures, responsible pet owners do quite well in apartments with pets......others...well..
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old June 22nd, 2009, 07:49 PM
ownedbycats's Avatar
ownedbycats ownedbycats is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Ontario
Posts: 849
Ontario landlords aren't allowed to discriminate against pet owners, but they are allowed to have rules about number and size of animals. Some landlords might refuse to rent an apartment to you if, say, you had 3 cats instaed of 2.
__________________
Dr. Seuss~DLH (brother's cat)~June 2007-
Misty~DSH (my cat & Mooby's mom)-?-
MooBoots(Mooby) ~ DMH(Mom's cat)~July 21, 2008-
Sunshine~ Golden retriever X white german sheperd (Dad's dog)~October 24, 2008-
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old June 23rd, 2009, 07:27 AM
ancientgirl's Avatar
ancientgirl ancientgirl is offline
Senior Contributor
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 15,069
I've always wondered, why so many landlords have a problem with pets, and not small children. Nothing against small kids, but I know they can be far more destructive than pets. If I was a landlord, I'd have less of a problem with pets.
__________________
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old June 23rd, 2009, 07:45 AM
BenMax BenMax is offline
Senior Contributor
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 10,191
Don't ask - I live in Quebec and of course people are discriminated for having pets! Moving season is here and just today while I was at the garage a beautiful older mastif X was tied to their gate. He was terrified. This is just one of many 'stories' to be seen in this province.

I remember when I was appartment searching. Having a rott was almost impossible to find a place that would accept us both - as a result I was fortunate enough to buy a place. (unfortunately he died before we moved in together....:sad.

Another area of concern is homes for the elderly that are FORCED to give up their beloved pets really during their time of compassion and need. This to me is if not just as bad - worse.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old June 23rd, 2009, 07:52 AM
Melinda's Avatar
Melinda Melinda is offline
Senior Contributor
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 5,248
I would definately rent to people with animals, but Benmax, (I do do work in seniors home) we are soooo understaffed as it is, as for volunteers to do things with the residents, there are 4....yep, only 4 in our retirement home(two are over 70 which one is my mom) to try to help plan/do stuff for 46 residents, as much as I love animals there is no way I'd have time to walk them, groom them, feed them, clean up after them or go on vet visits, all our residents have families....you'd be surprised how little visitors they do get, in our home they have to be able to look after themselves, its retirement, not nursing. I bring Brina by to visit, some will have nothing to do with her or any wild critters I bring in for them to see, I also borrow a friends cat to take for visits, a handful do enjoy this. Its such a hard thing to see. Our retirement apartments in cornwall do allow renters pets
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old June 23rd, 2009, 07:58 AM
BenMax BenMax is offline
Senior Contributor
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 10,191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melinda View Post
I would definately rent to people with animals, but Benmax, (I do do work in seniors home) we are soooo understaffed as it is, as for volunteers to do things with the residents, there are 4....yep, only 4 in our retirement home(two are over 70 which one is my mom) to try to help plan/do stuff for 46 residents, as much as I love animals there is no way I'd have time to walk them, groom them, feed them, clean up after them or go on vet visits, all our residents have families....you'd be surprised how little visitors they do get, in our home they have to be able to look after themselves, its retirement, not nursing. I bring Brina by to visit, some will have nothing to do with her or any wild critters I bring in for them to see, I also borrow a friends cat to take for visits, a handful do enjoy this. Its such a hard thing to see. Our retirement apartments in cornwall do allow renters pets
I hear you - but I still find it very sad. What if they (the resident) paid for a service to help where required? There are private facilities I am certain that could do this..no?
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old June 23rd, 2009, 08:15 AM
Golden Girls's Avatar
Golden Girls Golden Girls is offline
An Honest Contributor
Fishing the Sea Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion, KickUps Champion, Jason's Pong Champion, Japanese Baseball Champion, Eskiv Champion, Aski Champion, Ping Champion
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 1,807
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMax View Post
Don't ask - I live in Quebec and of course people are discriminated for having pets! Moving season is here and just today while I was at the garage a beautiful older mastif X was tied to their gate. He was terrified. This is just one of many 'stories' to be seen in this province
In Quebec you are not allowed to discriminate when owning a pet. That being said if a landlord doesn't want pets he'll just use another excuse not to rent to you. The way around this would be to agree on the no pet clause then bring them in anyways The only time the landlord can evict you because of your pets is if you've been called on by Animal Control for not controlling your pets ie barking, picking up after them etc

I've offered $1,000 as a down deposit and welcomed him in to see they do not destroy - both were refused. Everyone in my neighbourhood loves them but him his prob is that he allows his cats to roam into my yard and my pup's chase them away, really fair

Quote:
Another area of concern is homes for the elderly that are FORCED to give up their beloved pets really during their time of compassion and need. This to me is if not just as bad - worse.
This is such a sad part but I don't see how they could allow them to live with them. Family members should take them in and bring them along in their visits but that doesn't happen often I susptect I'm sure many received that email about Stanley, Dixie & Maybelle :sad:
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old June 23rd, 2009, 08:20 AM
Golden Girls's Avatar
Golden Girls Golden Girls is offline
An Honest Contributor
Fishing the Sea Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion, KickUps Champion, Jason's Pong Champion, Japanese Baseball Champion, Eskiv Champion, Aski Champion, Ping Champion
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 1,807
Quote:
Originally Posted by ancientgirl View Post
I've always wondered, why so many landlords have a problem with pets, and not small children. Nothing against small kids, but I know they can be far more destructive than pets. If I was a landlord, I'd have less of a problem with pets.
I totally agree with your post. The bad thing is the irresponsible pet owners ruin it for the rest of us
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old June 23rd, 2009, 08:24 AM
Melinda's Avatar
Melinda Melinda is offline
Senior Contributor
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 5,248
this is cornwall, unfortunately we don't have any services like that except for dog walking, which most of them can't afford, it would also limit the patients that could live in the retirement home, some have breathing problems, allergies etc, insurance is another huge disadvantage for having pets in the building, I have insurance on Brina through my house insurance in case "god forbid" she trips a resident, bites them etc. I show proof that she's been through courses for obedience and all vet bills. She has to be bathed before I take her and brushed out.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old June 23rd, 2009, 09:22 AM
BenMax BenMax is offline
Senior Contributor
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 10,191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Girls View Post
In Quebec you are not allowed to discriminate when owning a pet. That being said if a landlord doesn't want pets he'll just use another excuse not to rent to you.

This is such a sad part but I don't see how they could allow them to live with them. Family members should take them in and bring them along in their visits but that doesn't happen often I susptect I'm sure many received that email about Stanley, Dixie & Maybelle :sad:
Well I think that many landlords are then playing this card because there are ALOT of animals now in the shelter and rescues.

No - I did not get this e-mail.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old June 23rd, 2009, 10:52 AM
Golden Girls's Avatar
Golden Girls Golden Girls is offline
An Honest Contributor
Fishing the Sea Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion, KickUps Champion, Jason's Pong Champion, Japanese Baseball Champion, Eskiv Champion, Aski Champion, Ping Champion
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 1,807
[QUOTE=BenMax;792718]
Quote:
Well I think that many landlords are then playing this card because there are ALOT of animals now in the shelter and rescues
Renting in Quebec: Regie du Logement and the Civil Code of Quebec http://www.cmhc-schl.gc.ca/en/co/reh...h/fash_011.cfm

Pets and smoking:

If a no pet and no smoking clause is written into a lease or a by-law and the landlord discovers that the tennant has a pet or smokes in the rental unit, is this grounds for the landlord to evict the tenant?

YES but ONLY if the landlord can prove that this act by the tenant has resulted in a serious injury


Quote:
No - I did not get this e-mail.
I'll forward it to you
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old June 23rd, 2009, 09:09 PM
lUvMyLaB<3's Avatar
lUvMyLaB<3 lUvMyLaB<3 is offline
I'm a softy
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Brandon, mb, Canada
Posts: 1,059
Seriously in Brandon this is a HUGE HUGE problem, just look on ebrandon how many people are giving up their pets ( not to mention giving them away..)

There is an incredibly LOW vacancy rate in Brandon, thanks to Maple leaf importing more than 2000 people from developing countries to work in the plant they built here, and no one here will work there.. and this city is WAY too small.. the housing prices are very high for this size of city, and there are many that have to rent. with a below 1% vancancy rate in rentals the landlords have become VERY picky, there are very very very few that will allow pets, something we once faced..

we remted a place and were told that we could keep our dog, then they sold to their son in law, one day he shows up and says he found dog poo it must be my dog and my dog had to go in 7 days ( my lab..) YEAH RIGHT! I went to landlord tenancies and they called him at work and said my dog had to be grandfathered in.. When we moved there it was a NO PETS place, but I think us saying we would rather have no home than give up the dog convinced him we were serious dog owners.. and we gace him $1000 deposit, we were the only ones that were allowed to have a dog, although others did try, one other place got a large dog and tied it up outside..

My hubby had a tumour on his spine and we had to move closer to the city, so we had to rent while we sold our house that was in the middle of nowhere..

I wish more people would be better pet owners, part of me does not blame some for not wanting pets in their units ( ours was a 4BR mobile though not an apt.) seriously there are bad owners.. But if someone is serious about it they should have some that will be willing to listen, have a trail period of say 3 months to look for issues and if you are a good pet owner you will have no prob giving up $1000 deposit so your pet can stay. I will never ever give up my dogs.

Winnipeg is not so bad, although there are issues there too, brandon with maple leaf and this huge influx CRAZY house prices in comparasion to how much people canmake in such a small place and less than 1% vacancy rate in rentals... makes it very tough, very though indeed
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old June 23rd, 2009, 10:11 PM
Etown_Chick Etown_Chick is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 597
Challenges with renting to pet owners:
- damage to floors, carpeting, walls, grass and gardens that is expensive to fix
- animal hair is darn near impossible to completely remove from carpeting, which is an issue for the landlord and could be a significant issue for the next tenant if they have allergies
- hassle of complaints (if there are any) about barking dogs in apts or yards, cats roaming loose and doing whatever, etc.
That said, on his wildest days, Scruffy could never out-do the damage that my friends' kids have done to their respective places. I'd rent to a pet owner long before I'd rent to a young family, if I had a choice.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old June 25th, 2009, 02:19 PM
Luvmypitgirls's Avatar
Luvmypitgirls Luvmypitgirls is offline
Senior Contributor
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: High River Alberta
Posts: 2,655
I'm becoming a landlord myself, my son has decided to move with us to High River, so now I have to rent the house to someone else.

I will be a pet friendly landlord. However, I am charging a one time non refundable pet deposit of 150 dollars.
The reason I am doing this, is because no matter how responsible someone is, accidents can happen. It will also help with the cost of having professional carpet cleaners and such to clean if the tenant vacates.

I have a neighbor, who just aquired her daughters dog, she can't have him at the house she rents now. To help her out I've dropped the rent to 1400 including water from 1600.

I figure if she will put herself at risk of being evicted to save a dogs life, her daughter was going to "euth" him because the place she rented won't allow pets either, then she is exactly the type of tenant I want. She also has 2 cats.
She has no issue paying the pet fee of 150, and said she would do the same if she were in the position.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old June 25th, 2009, 02:34 PM
ancientgirl's Avatar
ancientgirl ancientgirl is offline
Senior Contributor
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 15,069
I agree in that $150 isn't much to ask. It's nice to know she's a pet lover and risked losing a home because of her pets. Even if you aren't going to make much on her renting, at least your home will be rented, cared for and you won't be losing money.

My landlord is actually losing money on me. I rent from him for less than what the place is, but as his wife told me a couple of weeks ago when I saw her, "You have a place for as long as you want it. Having you there at least I know my place is taken care of, and it's not empty, which is more than I can say for some of my other friends who have apartments they are trying to rent."
__________________
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old June 25th, 2009, 03:11 PM
TacoGrl's Avatar
TacoGrl TacoGrl is offline
Sleep..What is that?!?
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Calgary, AB Canada
Posts: 909
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvmypitgirls View Post
I'm becoming a landlord myself, my son has decided to move with us to High River, so now I have to rent the house to someone else.

I will be a pet friendly landlord. However, I am charging a one time non refundable pet deposit of 150 dollars.
The reason I am doing this, is because no matter how responsible someone is, accidents can happen. It will also help with the cost of having professional carpet cleaners and such to clean if the tenant vacates.

I have a neighbor, who just aquired her daughters dog, she can't have him at the house she rents now. To help her out I've dropped the rent to 1400 including water from 1600.

I figure if she will put herself at risk of being evicted to save a dogs life, her daughter was going to "euth" him because the place she rented won't allow pets either, then she is exactly the type of tenant I want. She also has 2 cats.
She has no issue paying the pet fee of 150, and said she would do the same if she were in the position.

Just as a heads up, in Alberta, carpet cleaning is under "normal wear and tear" as in carpets should be cleaned in between tenants and that cost should be built into the rent as an operating cost. If you charge a tenant for it directly, they can go through the Advisory Board and you will have to give it back to them...been there. Unfortunately, in Alberta these non-refundable deposits are legal though, but if you say it's because you are charging for carpet cleaning, a tenant does have some rights because the law supercedes any agreement between landlord and tenant.

Difference of opinion here I guess...I would not rent from a landlord who charges the deposit because I see it as a cash grab. As a business person, a landlord needs to figure out his/her expenses and factor them into the rent over the long run. Damage to a suite is covered under the regular Damage Deposit and if more damage is done, that is what the court is for. $150 or $2000...neither one is fair nor justified.
__________________
Mooki & Jaeger

Mom to
Seth - Brown Tabby
Messina - Blonde Tabby

Last edited by TacoGrl; June 25th, 2009 at 03:16 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old June 25th, 2009, 06:37 PM
Etown_Chick Etown_Chick is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 597
TacoGrl
you've obviously never tried to collect money after the tenants are gone and left you with a huge mess and expense. I don't think $150 is excessive. Beats giving up a pet. Pet hair is NOT going to come out of a carpet easily.
Carpet cleaning IS normal wear and tear (I wish more tenants knew that). What Scruff did to my lino isn't..sigh..good thing I own..lol
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old June 25th, 2009, 07:07 PM
14+kitties's Avatar
14+kitties 14+kitties is offline
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: MYOB
Posts: 15,407
Just gotta say - I rented a few apartments when I was a young, single mom and had a cat. I kept the litter box cleaned all the time. Never had an issue with kitty or landlords in any of the apartments I rented. After I got married we always owned our homes.
When I met my new hubby I moved down here from my home town three hours away. I hired a manager to collect rent from my house and to keep an eye on the place. I met all renters and stipulated that yes, they could have a dog or two cats. Up till the last renter it was no problem.

The last one did it for me. But it was not the dog that messed up the place. True, it sure didn't help. These people had three children who urinated every where. And I mean every where!! Of course when they got a pup for the kids for Christmas the pup smelled it and followed suit. I also had issues with them not paying rent so started eviction proceedings. Followed the law to the letter. Did everything I had to to get them out.
When we finally succeeded we went in and basically had to gut the place. Carpets were pulled. Walls had to replaced or patched. Every wall in my house. Seems this couple liked to fight and the walls took the punishment from knives being thrown. Appliances had to be thrown out - unusable. Hardwood floors had to be sanded down to try to get rid of the smell. We took away countless truckloads of garbage/clothing/broken furniture/you name it. In all of that I couldn't blame the poor pup. That was the least of my worries. I figure I probably am out about 20,000 dollars with all the repairs that had to be done plus rent not being paid. They skipped town. After repairs were done I sold the house. No more tenants for me!! Pets or no pets.
__________________
Assumptions do nothing but make an ass out of u and me.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old June 25th, 2009, 07:07 PM
Golden Girls's Avatar
Golden Girls Golden Girls is offline
An Honest Contributor
Fishing the Sea Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion, KickUps Champion, Jason's Pong Champion, Japanese Baseball Champion, Eskiv Champion, Aski Champion, Ping Champion
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 1,807
Quote:
Originally Posted by lUvMyLaB<3 View Post
I wish more people would be better pet owners, part of me does not blame some for not wanting pets in their units ( ours was a 4BR mobile though not an apt.) seriously there are bad owners.. But if someone is serious about it they should have some that will be willing to listen, have a trail period of say 3 months to look for issues and if you are a good pet owner you will have no prob giving up $1000 deposit so your pet can stay. I will never ever give up my dogs
This should be in a lease exactly word for word. At least this would be giving responsible pet owners a chance to prove their pets will not destroy their property.

Maybe I'll sound cold (I cannot speak for other Provinces or in the States that won't allow that chance) but I would never give up my pets for no one or nothing, I'd sleep on a park bench if needed with them. Quebec is known for dumping on moving day ... which is right around the corner July 1st but I feel at least 95% use it as an excuse to dump their pets onto the SPCA, rescues and pounds.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old June 25th, 2009, 07:09 PM
Mia101 Mia101 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 251
Business owners have rights too. If they don't want pets or smoking or whatever that is their right. Plenty of others to offer what you are looking for and the market will always fill in the gaps.

I am not a fan of more government restriction. In fact, although emotionally I disagree with it, I think landlords should be able to 'discriminate' based on children too.

When I was leasing apartments a long time ago, there were adult communities and there are a lot of benefits.

You don't have youngish adults partying at the pool for instance, colliding with kids.

I own my home and may rent it out. I should be able to 'discriminate' on anything I want to - it's my house!

I have a problem even owning b/c I have an HOA. They restrict the size of dogs, but I got a waiver.
__________________
Executive Assistant to the wonder-dog and super-cat :-)
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old June 25th, 2009, 07:16 PM
Mia101 Mia101 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 251
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvmypitgirls View Post
I'm becoming a landlord myself, my son has decided to move with us to High River, so now I have to rent the house to someone else.

I will be a pet friendly landlord. However, I am charging a one time non refundable pet deposit of 150 dollars.
The reason I am doing this, is because no matter how responsible someone is, accidents can happen. It will also help with the cost of having professional carpet cleaners and such to clean if the tenant vacates.

I have a neighbor, who just aquired her daughters dog, she can't have him at the house she rents now. To help her out I've dropped the rent to 1400 including water from 1600.

I figure if she will put herself at risk of being evicted to save a dogs life, her daughter was going to "euth" him because the place she rented won't allow pets either, then she is exactly the type of tenant I want. She also has 2 cats.
She has no issue paying the pet fee of 150, and said she would do the same if she were in the position.
$150 is a small pet fee. I would want a huge (refundable) deposit because carpets/padding and even walls can be completely ruined.

I think I had to pay $500 refundable for my cat when I rented, before the days of non-refundable became the norm. It annoyed me b/c my cat never even has a small accident, but I understood they could not trust me on that.

They kept it - saying there were urine stains in the carpet/padding. LIE! Grrrrrrr.

I think the new non-refundables are like insurance. The ones that cause no damage balance out with the ones that cause a lot of damage.
__________________
Executive Assistant to the wonder-dog and super-cat :-)
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old June 25th, 2009, 07:17 PM
Golden Girls's Avatar
Golden Girls Golden Girls is offline
An Honest Contributor
Fishing the Sea Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion, KickUps Champion, Jason's Pong Champion, Japanese Baseball Champion, Eskiv Champion, Aski Champion, Ping Champion
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 1,807
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mia101 View Post
I own my home and may rent it out. I should be able to 'discriminate' on anything I want to - it's my house!
Then don't rent it out ... it'll then be all YOUR's otherwise if you take money from someone it's no longer yours during the period of that lease. Simple really.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old June 25th, 2009, 07:48 PM
Mia101 Mia101 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 251
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Girls View Post
Then don't rent it out ... it'll then be all YOUR's otherwise if you take money from someone it's no longer yours during the period of that lease. Simple really.
Of course it is still mine! What are you talking about?
__________________
Executive Assistant to the wonder-dog and super-cat :-)
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old June 25th, 2009, 08:09 PM
TacoGrl's Avatar
TacoGrl TacoGrl is offline
Sleep..What is that?!?
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Calgary, AB Canada
Posts: 909
If you go to Service Alberta's website, more arguments surround Damage Deposits and the giving of them back...there is a movement to do away with them all together because too many landlords abuse them...in most legit cases, they don't cover the cost of repairs and in illegit cases, the landlord feels entitled and simply lies to keep the money...either scenerio, the DD system really isn't working. These new non-refundable deposits are just another way of abusing the system. For those who have had rotten tenants, hate to say it, but it goes with being a landlord...you take the good with the bad, chalk it up to operating expense or find another business to be in. I lived in the same suite for 7 years...did my own repairs, paid my rent, kept quiet, took care of things (shampooed, painted, fixed leaking taps, etc.) and the company MADE money off me...the next tenant might not have been so good...it's a crap shoot, but a lot of businesses are like that.

It all boils down to good people or bad...pets don't dictate how a person is going to treat a rental property and to charge extra just in case seems unfare...especially if you don't give it back (with interest) when the person moves out.
__________________
Mooki & Jaeger

Mom to
Seth - Brown Tabby
Messina - Blonde Tabby
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old June 25th, 2009, 09:06 PM
lia12 lia12 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: in the clouds
Posts: 54
I have to agree with Melinda , I've witnessed too many of these pet owners who can completely ruin an apartment in a few monhs. Also not all of Ontario allow pets, and many places that do know you have a pet will find another reason to not rent to people owning pets. As long as they don't say no because they have a pet they're off the hook. Saying this , if I was a landlord I would screen the people carefully and probably take a chance on renting to people with pets as I'm an animal lover and feel sorry for the responsible owners who don't get a fair shake because of a few bad apples.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old June 26th, 2009, 02:38 AM
Luvmypitgirls's Avatar
Luvmypitgirls Luvmypitgirls is offline
Senior Contributor
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: High River Alberta
Posts: 2,655
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mia101 View Post
$150 is a small pet fee. I would want a huge (refundable) deposit because carpets/padding and even walls can be completely ruined.

I think I had to pay $500 refundable for my cat when I rented, before the days of non-refundable became the norm. It annoyed me b/c my cat never even has a small accident, but I understood they could not trust me on that.

They kept it - saying there were urine stains in the carpet/padding. LIE! Grrrrrrr.

I think the new non-refundables are like insurance. The ones that cause no damage balance out with the ones that cause a lot of damage.
I am leaving behind area rugs, very nice ones, because I did our house in laminate and her recently aquired dog is fairly old (Golden Ret/HuskyX)I don't want him slipping and sliding and hurting himself, but he sheds like crazy, plus her two cats. I explained that it is not refundable, as I will use it to have my area carpets cleaned, whether they urinate on them or not is irrellevant, the carpets will still need to be cleaned of dog and cat hair and odors left behind.
Her regular damage deposit, which I reduced to 700 dollars instead of a full months rent which is the norm, is completely refundable provided there isn't extensive damage done to my property. I'm not expecting any issues really since she is 63 and her two adult sons are 34 &40 something. The house they rent now is spotless, obviously they take pride in their surroundings, so I'm not worried, and she doesn't mind paying the pet fee.
I've seen some that charge 100-150 non refundable pet fee PER pet, so I don't think I'm being unreasonable.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old June 26th, 2009, 02:51 AM
Luvmypitgirls's Avatar
Luvmypitgirls Luvmypitgirls is offline
Senior Contributor
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: High River Alberta
Posts: 2,655
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoGrl View Post
Just as a heads up, in Alberta, carpet cleaning is under "normal wear and tear" as in carpets should be cleaned in between tenants and that cost should be built into the rent as an operating cost. If you charge a tenant for it directly, they can go through the Advisory Board and you will have to give it back to them...been there. Unfortunately, in Alberta these non-refundable deposits are legal though, but if you say it's because you are charging for carpet cleaning, a tenant does have some rights because the law supercedes any agreement between landlord and tenant.

Difference of opinion here I guess...I would not rent from a landlord who charges the deposit because I see it as a cash grab. As a business person, a landlord needs to figure out his/her expenses and factor them into the rent over the long run. Damage to a suite is covered under the regular Damage Deposit and if more damage is done, that is what the court is for. $150 or $2000...neither one is fair nor justified.
I disagree completely, I believe it is fair and justified. I am leaving behind several area rugs for the comfort and safety of her dog, who is old and has some hip issues. The runners and area rugs will help him move around a little safer. If I weren't leaving them behind for her I wouldn't ask for the deposit.
She informed me that she was worried about him slipping and sliding and getting hurt, that she didn't have area rugs and runners, that is when I made the agreement that I would leave them, but I would want a pet fee to have them cleaned after they vacate.
Trust me, it is not a cash grab on my part whatsoever, infact I will be losing money renting to these folks, but it's a small price to pay to have someone I know and respect renting, then strangers, who may or may not have respect for my house.
I feel if I leave my own personal property for her to borrow, then asking for a cleaning fee is both fair and justified. Not to mention, I'm only charging them 1/2 a months rent for a damage deposit, I don't know how much more accomodating and fair I can be.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old June 26th, 2009, 03:02 AM
Luvmypitgirls's Avatar
Luvmypitgirls Luvmypitgirls is offline
Senior Contributor
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: High River Alberta
Posts: 2,655
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoGrl View Post
If you go to Service Alberta's website, more arguments surround Damage Deposits and the giving of them back...there is a movement to do away with them all together because too many landlords abuse them...in most legit cases, they don't cover the cost of repairs and in illegit cases, the landlord feels entitled and simply lies to keep the money...either scenerio, the DD system really isn't working. These new non-refundable deposits are just another way of abusing the system. For those who have had rotten tenants, hate to say it, but it goes with being a landlord...you take the good with the bad, chalk it up to operating expense or find another business to be in. I lived in the same suite for 7 years...did my own repairs, paid my rent, kept quiet, took care of things (shampooed, painted, fixed leaking taps, etc.) and the company MADE money off me...the next tenant might not have been so good...it's a crap shoot, but a lot of businesses are like that.

It all boils down to good people or bad...pets don't dictate how a person is going to treat a rental property and to charge extra just in case seems unfare...especially if you don't give it back (with interest) when the person moves out.
Well if they do away with damage deposits, I believe the homeless rate will jump, because ppl aren't going to "risk" their properties without some kind of compensation, nor should they be asked to.
Just like there are shady landlords out there, there are just as many if not more shady renters, that falsely represent themselves, and with the privacy act it's harder to weed out the bad from the good, and it's the landlord that stands to lose more than a renter, infact many good landlords end up paying out far more in repairs then they collected in a damage deposit, including the interest incurred.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Terms of Use

  • All Bulletin Board Posts are for personal/non-commercial use only.
  • Self-promotion and/or promotion in general is prohibited.
  • Debate is healthy but profane and deliberately rude posts will be deleted.
  • Posters not following the rules will be banned at the Admins' discretion.
  • Read the Full Forum Rules

Forum Details

  • Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
    vBulletin Optimisation by vB Optimise (Reduced on this page: MySQL 8.33%).
  • All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:05 AM.