Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old September 17th, 2014, 11:51 AM

Dog Has Crusty, Oozing Sores on Back (Resolved)

I wanted to share this answer with others on the interwebs to save you the frustration and expense I went through if you find you have a pet with a similar issue. I searched and searched online for months for an answer and have spent over a grand in vet bills looking for a solution.

My dog is 7, German Shepherd cross. She has had for several months red sores on the middle of her back, along the spine. The first occurrence we thought was a cut that became infected, because that's what it looks like; A red, oozing (smelly), crusty oval shaped, not deep sore.

5 days of antibiotics and a topical cream cleaned it up nicely. We thought we were all good. Within a few days of finishing the antibiotics she got several more sores, this time there were three grouped on her back next to where the previous one had been.

To make a LONG story short, we were back to the vet at least 5 more times for the same issue. Antibiotics resolved it for a while, but always came back.

It wasn't allergies, it wasn't her thyroid, it wasn't cancer, cushing's disease or crohn's disease (thanks to an expensive biopsy):

It was a really deep skin and follicle infection.

In all fairness, we wouldn't have determined the cause without the costly biopsy but I was SUPER frustrated to learn that my dog's issues were related to what we had initially thought.

My vet told me that this is common issue for German Shepherds, which was the first time it had been mentioned. If we had just done the stronger antibiotics from the beginning it would have been significantly cheaper for us. The antibiotics cost about $200/month but would still be cheaper than the biopsy alone, forget all the previous blood work and drugs.
Old September 17th, 2014, 04:20 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

I'm glad you finally got that resolved, Aerel, and thanks for the heads up on the symptoms! Sorry you had to go so long and through so much money before getting a diagnosis.

We had a case of folliculitis in our setter, Ridge, a few years back but it was on her face and easily diagnosed. It was wicked, though, and took a very long time to clear up! She's still got some scars.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."