Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old March 29th, 2013, 12:14 PM
banned user

Question Advice on getting a good trainer

I took Moses to a potential obedience class. The female muzzeled him with her hands the muzzle on him to big. She repeatedly did this then he bit her never has he done this to anyome before. Now after that she took him by his hind legs, picked him up like he is hanging forced him to the ground then pressed down his front legs and then she put her knee on top of his body while he lay there on the floor yelping. She recommended that I do this all the time when ever he mis behaves. I promptly contacted pet store owner as Moses felt threatened and reacted by her actions. I am no angel either I have made mistakes too. She mentioned that he could not participate in their classes because he is to aggressive he may harm or be harmed by others. Here it is I am totally upset that a person would take a puppy and by the legs suggesting she is proving that she is alpha not him. Now I am in contact with other obedience but I am running out of time he is 5 months old and still not socialized with people nor other dogs. He is good with Harley and is an angel. I am afraid that his time may be up for training. I hate beliving in negative thought process. I believe that there is still help for him I have encountered the wrong people for him. All seem to have a different thought pattern and all claim to be versed in Belgian Malinois.
Old March 29th, 2013, 12:19 PM

You may be better off getting a behaviourist involved at this point. Mals can be a tough breed (at least that's my understanding). If you know your dog is already under-socialized, you need to get something on the go and quick or you will have a bigger problem on your hands.

It's not an option to give up on the training. In my opinion, training is a life long event - we should always be doing it with our dogs.

Please don't go back to this training/obedience class. It's sound all very dominance/alpha theory based - it has the potential to make matters worse for your dog.
Old March 29th, 2013, 06:22 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by minmin12 View Post
I took Moses to a potential obedience class. The female muzzeled him with her hands the muzzle on him to big. She repeatedly did this then he bit her never has he done this to anyome before. Now after that she took him by his hind legs, picked him up like he is hanging forced him to the ground then pressed down his front legs and then she put her knee on top of his body while he lay there on the floor yelping. She recommended that I do this all the time when ever he mis behaves. I promptly contacted pet store owner as Moses felt threatened and reacted by her actions. I am no angel either I have made mistakes too. She mentioned that he could not participate in their classes because he is to aggressive he may harm or be harmed by others. Here it is I am totally upset that a person would take a puppy and by the legs suggesting she is proving that she is alpha not him. Now I am in contact with other obedience but I am running out of time he is 5 months old and still not socialized with people nor other dogs. He is good with Harley and is an angel. I am afraid that his time may be up for training. I hate beliving in negative thought process. I believe that there is still help for him I have encountered the wrong people for him. All seem to have a different thought pattern and all claim to be versed in Belgian Malinois.
I think that trainer need to go to some attitude classes herself!
Old March 29th, 2013, 08:49 PM
Pro Poop Scooper!

it's never too late to train. Winnipeg is a decent sized city there must be some good trainers there! Look at the Dogs in Canada webside or the IAPDTA's website. I'll see if I can find something. I have a lot of dog friends on FB who may have ideas of someone good there.
Old March 29th, 2013, 08:55 PM
Pro Poop Scooper!

here's the first one that came up on a google search www.trainingloyalcompanions.com They're in Winnipeg and they don't allow choke, pinch or e-collars in their classes, so that might be one to check out. They've got small classes, Fearful Fido classes, Who's Walking Who etc. They don't seem to be too expensive either.

Mal's are smart dogs. I think that's where people go wrong, smart dogs! They think they have to intimidate them to get them to listen. That's BS! So I'd be staying away from any of these trainers who say they know a certain breed and how to handle them.
Old March 30th, 2013, 06:30 AM
banned user

Red face Hugs

Thank you all so very much. I love Moses extremely, he is so gentle with Harley and I. I appreciate all your information and I agree with Barking Dog post. My poor baby has been subjecting enought to ill equipt people who claim they are know Belgian Malinois
Old March 30th, 2013, 06:34 AM
banned user

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattymac View Post
it's never too late to train. Winnipeg is a decent sized city there must be some good trainers there! Look at the Dogs in Canada webside or the IAPDTA's website. I'll see if I can find something. I have a lot of dog friends on FB who may have ideas of someone good there.
Thank you pattymac. If you do not mind would you send me a private message regarding whoops noticed now. I am not on facebook if someone is strongly familiar with this breed then would you kindly message me privately thank you once again
Old March 30th, 2013, 06:37 AM
banned user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingdog View Post
I think that trainer need to go to some attitude classes herself!
Thank you so much and I agree 100% she is a loser and I use that term extremely loosely other language prohibited
Old March 30th, 2013, 06:46 AM
banned user

Wink Hello

I forgot to mention that Moses is highly intelligent and learns new commands within minutes. I absoloutely do not intend to go to either of these so called we understand Belgian Malinois Breed.
Old March 30th, 2013, 09:34 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

My advice is to ask a pile of questions before you go to the next trainer...
Where did you find this trainer?

Does Moses not have a vet? Is there no one at the vet's office that can recommend a non aggressive trainer? Referrals referrals referrals.....

(Thread title edited again)
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old March 30th, 2013, 10:32 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by minmin12 View Post
Thank you so much and I agree 100% she is a loser and I use that term extremely loosely other language prohibited
http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/belgianmalinois.htm

This web site say this about this bred "If you are harsh or overbearing it will become uncooperative" .
If this is correct that trainer had no idea what she was doing . Have you asks the breeder if they know of good trainer?

They're beautiful dogs.
Old March 30th, 2013, 10:58 AM
banned user

I agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingdog View Post
http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/belgianmalinois.htm

This web site say this about this bred "If you are harsh or overbearing it will become uncooperative" .
If this is correct that trainer had no idea what she was doing . Have you asks the breeder if they know of good trainer?

They're beautiful dogs.
It is all true. I had not been aware about him. I wanted another dog as other had passed. Moses is extremely intelligent. This go around I most definetly am goiing to queirie individual. This breed is a working breed. I am unable to locate original breeder, have to wait until may going to have another litter. In the meantime my name and number is out to reputable positive reinforcement classes. I cried myself to sleep I almost gave him away but I love him far to much and we are joined at the hip now. Moses always comes to mommy I truly believe there is hope for him I am not going to give up at all. I even had a Cop Sargent say put him down NEVER thank you