Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old March 23rd, 2013, 05:20 AM
minmin12 minmin12 is offline
banned user
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: winnipeg
Posts: 153
Question Scratching dog - Now what

Here I go again Moses. Ever since he arrived he scratches uncontrollably. I brush him when I scratch him his legs do that silly kick as he is itchy. I am not allowed to give him egg, fruit and veggies. This little one has a very sensitive stomach. One person not from here suggested may be because it is winter. Now I am wondering he is happy, healthy, energetic and loving sleeps in my bed and hogs it Does anyone have a suggestion otherwise he is all good this is disconcerning for me I only want what is best for him thank you
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old March 23rd, 2013, 10:23 AM
hazelrunpack's Avatar
hazelrunpack hazelrunpack is offline
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Just east of the Hazelnut Patch, Wisconsin
Posts: 49,828
Our dogs get itchy in winter, too. It might be worth trying an omega-3 oil supplement on his food. We use about tablespoon and a half per dog per evening meal when its coldest and driest out and it really does the trick.

If he has a sensitive tummy, you may have to consider the possibility of a food intolerance or allergy--often food intolerance and itching go hand-in-hand. So if the oil doesn't work, you could try an elimination diet--you eliminate ingredients one by one over the course of a few weeks to see if the itching gets better when something is excluded.
__________________
"We are--each of us--dying; it's how we live in the meantime that makes the difference."

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old March 23rd, 2013, 10:27 AM
marko's Avatar
marko marko is offline
Administrator - Pet lover
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Montreal Quebec Canada
Posts: 11,079
I'm not sure what the question is here.... I have edited the thread title again so it relates to a particular subject.

but to me, the "silly kick " thing doesn't sound like it has to do with itchiness.

You are likely just stimulating nerves underneath the skin and the limb is reacting in a similar way as when the human doctor takes the rubber mallet to test your knee jerk reflex.
__________________
Please tactfully EDUCATE or IGNORE posters you don't agree with.
Please PM me & Include URLs and post #'s for any issues and it's my pleasure to help.
I'm firm - but fair. Mind the Rules and enjoy your stay.
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old March 23rd, 2013, 11:01 AM
minmin12 minmin12 is offline
banned user
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: winnipeg
Posts: 153
Talking no can do

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
Our dogs get itchy in winter, too. It might be worth trying an omega-3 oil supplement on his food. We use about tablespoon and a half per dog per evening meal when its coldest and driest out and it really does the trick.

If he has a sensitive tummy, you may have to consider the possibility of a food intolerance or allergy--often food intolerance and itching go hand-in-hand. So if the oil doesn't work, you could try an elimination diet--you eliminate ingredients one by one over the course of a few weeks to see if the itching gets better when something is excluded.
Allergic sensitive tummy
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old March 23rd, 2013, 11:21 AM
Jull Jull is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Saskatchewan, Canada
Posts: 585
Virgin Coconut oil is very good for their coats and skin too, and not to mention they love the taste (1 teaspoon per 10lbs). I also use oat meal shampoo for them.
__________________
Dogs don't need to talk, their life is their message ~ unknown.

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old March 23rd, 2013, 11:56 AM
Barkingdog Barkingdog is offline
Senior Contributor
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 2,762
When your kick his hind leg that is called an involuntary reflex and all dogs will do it .
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old March 24th, 2013, 10:55 AM
minmin12 minmin12 is offline
banned user
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: winnipeg
Posts: 153
Cool Great

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jull View Post
Virgin Coconut oil is very good for their coats and skin too, and not to mention they love the taste (1 teaspoon per 10lbs). I also use oat meal shampoo for them.
Unable to give him oil of any kind diarrea instantly. Considering oatmeal shampoo is this home made or store bought
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old March 24th, 2013, 11:01 AM
hazelrunpack's Avatar
hazelrunpack hazelrunpack is offline
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Just east of the Hazelnut Patch, Wisconsin
Posts: 49,828
If he's allergic, have you tried an elimination diet? If you can pinpoint what he's allergic to, you can maybe improve not only his tummy, but his skin and fur.
__________________
"We are--each of us--dying; it's how we live in the meantime that makes the difference."

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old March 24th, 2013, 02:58 PM
Barkingdog Barkingdog is offline
Senior Contributor
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 2,762
Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
If he's allergic, have you tried an elimination diet? If you can pinpoint what he's allergic to, you can maybe improve not only his tummy, but his skin and fur.
If I understand this correctly it sound like the dog is only scratching when it's getting rubbed on the tummy and this is causing the leg to move involuntary. All dogs will do that and it has nothing to with food allergic.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old March 24th, 2013, 06:27 PM
Jull Jull is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Saskatchewan, Canada
Posts: 585
Quote:
Originally Posted by minmin12 View Post
Unable to give him oil of any kind diarrea instantly. Considering oatmeal shampoo is this home made or store bought
I buy it at the pet store.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
If he's allergic, have you tried an elimination diet? If you can pinpoint what he's allergic to, you can maybe improve not only his tummy, but his skin and fur.
I agree you need to get to the root of all symptoms instead of treating one by one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingdog View Post
If I understand this correctly it sound like the dog is only scratching when it's getting rubbed on the tummy and this is causing the leg to move involuntary. All dogs will do that and it has nothing to with food allergic.
lol yes now I am confused
__________________
Dogs don't need to talk, their life is their message ~ unknown.

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Terms of Use

  • All Bulletin Board Posts are for personal/non-commercial use only.
  • Self-promotion and/or promotion in general is prohibited.
  • Debate is healthy but profane and deliberately rude posts will be deleted.
  • Posters not following the rules will be banned at the Admins' discretion.
  • Read the Full Forum Rules

Forum Details

  • Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
    vBulletin Optimisation by vB Optimise (Reduced on this page: MySQL 10.00%).
  • All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:52 PM.