Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old March 5th, 2013, 12:31 PM

sniffing

I know all dogs sniff some more than others. I also know dogs use their nose for much of the same reson we use our eyes. Recently my little terrier has been doing nothing but sniffing. She sniffs evey room on the floors, baseboards, the air, blankets etc. Even when it's bed time she's laying down with her little sniffers going.
Anyone have any ideas on this. It seems to be a new behavior. Do she smell mice? Do she have allergies? Is she looking for food (has access to her food all day).Could it be a more serious problem?

Side notes: shes 3 yrs old, iv noticed since she finished antibotics 2 weeks ago for diarrhea that she visits her water dish and food bowl more often but not a huge increase in water or food intake -she will not eat or drink at all unless we are home with her which is her normal behavior. She's playful and seems to be a happy dog.
Old March 6th, 2013, 07:43 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

My very first instinct was mice or rats in walls/floors. Now that's just a complete guess, but was the first thing to come to mind.

In my experience you can barely hear them in the day but you can hear them scratching or moving when it's quiet.

I hope it's something else though, like maybe a new chicken rotisserie opened up in town and the dog smells it. Could be lots of reasons.

Hopefully this rings a bell for other members.
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old March 6th, 2013, 11:36 AM
Senior Contributor

my hearing dog was trained to let me alert me to sounds , like the phone ringing etc. So when Finlay started to stand next to a wall and cock his head I was not sure what he was trying to tell me. I then realize he was telling there a mouse or mice in the house! This was one sound Finlay was not trained to listen for. I was told Marty is part terrier and poodle and when we're outside and Marty pick up a sense he will lift his little face up and turn on his nose to high speed and you can his nose move little crazy.
Old March 6th, 2013, 12:39 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

It does sound a lot like the behavior ours show when there's a mouse in the house, Jen. Sometimes you can hear rodents gnawing in the walls at night if that's what it is. Normally I get confirmation when I hear hubby and the Pack (8 dogs, all woosses) running down the hall with a mouse in hot pursuit (yes, none of them like mice much! ) Live traps are pretty cheap--we always have some onhand and bait them with nuts, then release the little varmints out back. (Probably, they end up right back in the garage or maybe even the house, but it makes hubby and the dogs feel better if they see me take them away. )

Regardless, though, I don't think it's something allergy- or illness-related--it's just something dogs do.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old March 10th, 2013, 06:12 PM
Senior Contributor

Maybe the antibiotics have enhanced her sense of smell?