Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > In the News - Pet related articles and stories in the press > Newspaper Articles of Interest (animal/pet related) from Around the World

Old January 24th, 2013, 10:35 AM

Amish couple make first court appearance in kennel case

Fighting to keep their more than 30 dogs, Menno and Viola Streicher made a brief court appearance Tuesday in Stratford.

The Amish couple are accused of running a puppy mill out of their farm near Millbank. They're facing 18 animal cruelty charges laid by the Ontario SPCA after an October inspection of the Streichers' kennel, which is run without electricity.

The Streichers have also had their kennel license revoked by the Township of Perth East following the charges.

A pretrial date was set for April 5. An Ontario SPCA veterinarian and the Streichers' personal veterinarian are expected to take the stand at that time.

Until then, the Streichers say they, through lawyer Terrance Green, are seeking a judicial review of their license revocation.

"They do not normally stand up and fight for their rights. This time they felt that they had to," Green told CTV.

The couple says they have no plans to stop operating their kennel, and Green is trying to convince a judge to prevent further charges of operating without a license from being laid before the trial.

"I am seeking an injunction to prevent the township from continuously harassing my clients and continuously charging them," said Green.

Animal rights activists and supporters of the Streichers were both present outside the courtroom Tuesday.

Animal rescuer Kim Thomas say a visit to the kennel did nothing to dissuade her from thinking the animals need to be moved to another home.

"They're sickly - ear infections, eye infections," she said.

"The barn is freezing cold. It is only heated by pigs living underneath the barn."

The Streichers are due back in court next week.
Patches - Diluted Torti 2007-2022
Old January 24th, 2013, 10:57 AM

I hope they take those puppies to a safe place ASAP... and the pigs too while they are on it. And the couple, banned from having any animals again.

Old January 25th, 2013, 02:01 PM
Senior Contributor

I love that they say they are not going to stop operating their kennel. A kennel would be a place where the dogs are given proper care and heat not continued abuse. Move those dogs and pigs somewhere safe.
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old April 4th, 2013, 12:29 AM

This is one of the cases that Kimberly Thomas of Kismutt Rescue is heavily involved in. She has been in this barn many many times taking their cull dogs. She has access to all the puppy mills in Ontario.

This Friday, April 5th, is the hearings for both the Township and the OSPCA to present their evidence. If the judge feels there is enough evidence , then he will set a trial date.

If the judge does not feel there is sufficent evidence, it would be all over.

I will keep you posted of the outcome from Kimberly Thomas of Kismutt Rescue.

All rescues are so proud of her and the work she has done over the past 10 years in these horiffic Amish puppy mills in Ontario.

Please see her on the cover of Dogs Dogs Dogs Magazine this month.
Old April 7th, 2013, 10:59 PM
yearling

Quote:
Originally Posted by social-worker View Post
This is one of the cases that Kimberly Thomas of Kismutt Rescue is heavily involved in. She has been in this barn many many times taking their cull dogs. She has access to all the puppy mills in Ontario.

This Friday, April 5th, is the hearings for both the Township and the OSPCA to present their evidence. If the judge feels there is enough evidence , then he will set a trial date.

If the judge does not feel there is sufficent evidence, it would be all over.

I will keep you posted of the outcome from Kimberly Thomas of Kismutt Rescue.

All rescues are so proud of her and the work she has done over the past 10 years in these horiffic Amish puppy mills in Ontario.

Please see her on the cover of Dogs Dogs Dogs Magazine this month.
so they do exist here in ontario? i thought they were only in the states. it may be wrong but i have this hate on for anything amish. the furniture i see being sold, i just think of how they raised the money to make it and i think of puppy mills. is this a real big prob in ontario with the amish or rare?

thank you