Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time! > Kitten health

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old February 14th, 2015, 09:00 AM
melvaughn melvaughn is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 2
Vet in China refusing to spay my kitten!

So I'm living in China and bought my first ever kitten. Right now my kitten is four and half months old and she went through her first heat a few days ago! It happened MUCH earlier than I expected.

I've talked to three vets so far (and I actually can't communicate at all with them so usually need to take a 'translator). I've been less than impressed with the vets here in general. The current one I'm seeing is telling me 'the kitten is too small/thin' in body weight to spay. She is at least 4 pounds right now, although she is on the thinner side. I explained she's going through heat but he said I must wait until she's 7 or 8 months old! This seems ridiculous to me since my kitten now has to suffer through heat sessions for the next THREE months.

It would also be quite easy for her to escape from my apartment which worries me. I assume the vets here are not experienced with pediatric spaying and are worried about the anesthetic. The vet kept saying 'spaying her now will be risky!"...I really don't know what to do at the moment. I'm not sure they would have the proper hormonal drugs here either.
So any tips on things I can do to make sooth her when she's going through heat for the next two months? (Wow, sorry for the huge picture. Didn't know it would come out that big. But that is her current weight/body shape.)
Attached Images
 
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old February 14th, 2015, 09:15 AM
Loki Love's Avatar
Loki Love Loki Love is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Regina, SK
Posts: 502
Normally, it's best practice to wait until the cat (or dog for that matter) is out of heat before spaying them. It is a riskier surgery to do while they are in heat.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old February 14th, 2015, 11:16 AM
melvaughn melvaughn is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 2
yes, I had heard that also. But regardless of whether she's is on heat or not, the vet won't spay her until she's 7 months old. So she will be in heat, maybe continuously now until she's 'large' enough for him to feel safe spaying her.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Terms of Use

  • All Bulletin Board Posts are for personal/non-commercial use only.
  • Self-promotion and/or promotion in general is prohibited.
  • Debate is healthy but profane and deliberately rude posts will be deleted.
  • Posters not following the rules will be banned at the Admins' discretion.
  • Read the Full Forum Rules

Forum Details

  • Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
    Copyright ©2000 - 2015, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
    vBulletin Optimisation by vB Optimise (Reduced on this page: MySQL 0%).
  • All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:38 AM.