Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Pet photography > Pet photography - Pet pictures

Old February 26th, 2013, 02:20 PM
Senior Contributor

GF, I pretty much spit all over my computer when you asked if they are rough pups! Nikki is forever dragging Lupa around by the neck. He just grabs a mouth full of fur and hauls her along. When she manages to free herself from him she gives him almight heck. That's when Halo gets upset. They are very rough with each other, but they don't get the chance to be rough with Halo.
Old February 26th, 2013, 03:16 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldfields View Post
Hazel, she is sometimes overwhelmed by him, especially if it it hot and all he wants to do is wrestle. Scares me to think how I'd manage him if I'm away for a show weekend. Reckon I'd need to take a puppy pen for twice daily play, but then he has no-one to play with.

Barkingdog, I always gave the shelties bottles with a few stones in them, they love the noise they make. Roo doesn't, so might have to remove the stones and try him again.

DD, how are your babies going? Are they rough pups like this guy? I sincerely hope not.
Thanks for the tip GF, I will try that with Marty as he really is not interested
in the dogs toys you buy at the pet stores.
Old February 27th, 2013, 10:23 AM
Senior Contributor

Must get to bed but a couple of photo's before I do. Roo in his wet weather gear, and trying to rip Jarrah's off her. LOL. Wicked little devil dog.
No, he was actually very good when one of the District Nurses, Jess, came today. Friendly but not over the top.
Attached Images

Old February 27th, 2013, 10:32 AM

I love their coats, they seem very comfy and most importantly resistant

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
Old February 27th, 2013, 10:41 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Well of course he was good for the nurse's visit! He has eyes only for Jarrah!! She is so darn patient with the little demon!!!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old February 27th, 2013, 10:42 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Must get to bed but a couple of photo's before I do. Roo in his wet weather gear, and trying to rip Jarrah's off her. LOL. Wicked little devil dog.
No, he was actually very good when one of the District Nurses, Jess, came today. Friendly but not over the top.
Both your dogs are a real ham , I love the way they pose for the camera !
Old March 8th, 2013, 11:39 PM
Senior Contributor

Barkingdog, my last red male cattle dog was just the best show dog I could have had, but I told Roo's breeder that she'd given me something that Perkins wasn't, and that's a photogenic dog. I rarely get bad photo's of either Roo or Jarrah, just could rarely get good ones of Perkins.
Young Roo is in for a shock soon. At the moment he has the shelties barely holding their own against him
BUT Jarrah may be going to come in season , and once they have her to follow, their patience with the pup will be very limited. Matthew looks serious in this first photo but never hurts the pup, however when Jarrah stands up to 'play' with Roo it usually means she is getting fed up with him. This final photo is one of Roo's stealth attacks, maybe he told Bo to distract her with a mouth licking so he could get her tail?
Attached Images

Old March 9th, 2013, 12:40 AM
Senior Contributor

You can almost hear Matthew going "OUCH!!" when Roo grabs a mouthful of coat, no wonder he gets cranky with the pup. Ditto Jarrah, look at those needle sharp teeth. Can't wait for him to get his adult teeth and settle down a bit. Last photo is a rare peaceful moment.
Attached Images

Old March 9th, 2013, 10:40 AM
Senior Contributor

Halo totally understands what your crew are going through! Times two. But Roo is a darling. You're right, he may get a beat down when Jarrah comes into heat.
Old March 9th, 2013, 11:24 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
You can almost hear Matthew going "OUCH!!" when Roo grabs a mouthful of coat, no wonder he gets cranky with the pup. Ditto Jarrah, look at those needle sharp teeth. Can't wait for him to get his adult teeth and settle down a bit. Last photo is a rare peaceful moment.
Whoever said a 'picture is worth a thousand words' sure got that right. That was a great short story in pictures. Thank you for sharing this .
Old March 9th, 2013, 11:41 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Ooops, sorry, GF... Shouldn't laugh

But dang! He's a cheeky bugger, isn't he?

You know you'll look back on this fondly and even miss it when he's old and staid...

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old March 9th, 2013, 09:49 PM
Senior Contributor

Hahaha! A cheeky bugger indeed. He gets one knock down, then rushes around all the shelties to see if any of the others will tolerate him, if that doesn't work he starts getting into the plants in my garden. (sigh). At the same time he now likes being on my lap so he can lick my neck and face, so there is a gentle side lurking under the usual Devil dog from Hell exterior.
Old March 10th, 2013, 12:04 AM
The Pack's Head Servant

Funny you should mention the Devil dog from Hell--a friend of ours made up a T-shirt for our puppy, Evan, that said "Demon Puppy from Hades". He wore it proudly till he outgrew it. Lived up to the label, too!

Old March 10th, 2013, 10:13 AM
Senior Contributor

Cattle Dog owners often call them Satan's spawn. LOL. This is the most over the top little devil we've ever owned.
Old March 10th, 2013, 10:49 AM
The Pack's Head Servant

But I'll bet he's having fun!!

Old March 11th, 2013, 01:51 AM
Senior Contributor

Yeah, everyone else would like to leave home, but Roo is enjoying himself.
Old March 17th, 2013, 01:51 AM
Senior Contributor

Some quick photo's before I have to go out with my dogs, and take more. LOL. Young Roo is a bit selfish, always wants the toy another dog might be interested in, so in the first photo he is keeping an eye on Toby.

Synchronized bird watching ??

See what I mean, there are about 20 toys out there but Jarrah wanted one so that was HIS favorite too.
Attached Images

Old March 17th, 2013, 02:03 AM
Senior Contributor

Jarrah putting Roo firmly in his place, she does this more often of late. He's getting to be a big boy now, he hasn't started teething though, only 4 months old.
Attached Images

Old March 17th, 2013, 10:08 AM
Senior Contributor

Great pics GF, he looks very lean in that last pic. More mature. Nikki was watching the birds yesterday on our walk too, then took a flying leap at them. Unfortunatley he was in harness on a leash - he didn't get far before he crashed back to earth!

Funny how dogs are about always wanting the toy the others have. Halo was like that, all the toys were hers. Now they all belong to the puppies. Hard to say who though, they generally both have hold of one toy.

How old are they when they start teething? Are you saying the chewing gets worse?? We're lucky these two mostly just chew each other.
Old March 17th, 2013, 11:11 AM
The Pack's Head Servant

Well it's no fun if you have to play with a toy alone!! Sheesh! Everyone knows that!!

Roo is getting to be such a handsome young dog, GF!! And still practicing his winning ways, I see! I like the synchronized bird watching! They'd like it here!

Teething usually starts between 4 and 6 months for setters, DD. Probably the same for most breeds. And yes, as I recall, the chewing gets worse... You poor, poor woman!

Old March 17th, 2013, 04:51 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Some quick photo's before I have to go out with my dogs, and take more. LOL. Young Roo is a bit selfish, always wants the toy another dog might be interested in, so in the first photo he is keeping an eye on Toby.

Synchronized bird watching ??

See what I mean, there are about 20 toys out there but Jarrah wanted one so that was HIS favorite too.
They sure are beautiful dogs, I loves the color of their fur. When Marty saw a wild turkey for the first time he sat down with his mouth open ,the bird was bigger than him. That was the only time Marty did not go after a bird.
Old March 17th, 2013, 09:03 PM
Senior Contributor

Roo might be a bit gobsmacked if he saw a wild turkey too, Barkingdog. It would be bigger than him also. Certainly outweigh him. You know, I was thinking he was going into a lean stage too, DD, thinking of upping his food, but he's a solid nuggety little chunk if you pick him up and I can barely feel his ribs, so it may just be a leggy stage. His breeder did say that he would go leggy, that Ginger's pups do that. I don't want to mess up his hips by putting too much weight on anyway. That is funny about Nikki crashing back to earth , Roo never tries to jump for birds, just tears around the garden after them.
Glad you like Roo's looks, Hazel. We were lucky with him, and very lucky with Jarrah, who has a beautiful head.
In the first photo you can just see how he gets his hackles up when she stalks him. In one wrestling match this morning she did hurt him so I am going to have to make her back off a bit.
Attached Images

Old March 18th, 2013, 10:18 AM
Senior Contributor

GF, I'm laughing at your pics of them playing hard. This morning Nikki was pounding on Lupa behind the love seat. Then Nikki came out and I could hear Lupa crying a bit. I went to look and see if he had hurt her back there, and she was laying on her side stuck under the sofa! I guess from the position she was in she couldn't pull herself back out and was just laying there crying pathetically. I had to lift if up so she could get out. Poor thing. Our pups are rough on each other aren't they my friend.
Old March 18th, 2013, 10:30 AM
Senior Contributor

Poor Lupa, no doubt she was frightened more than hurt. I am just hoping my oldies survive Roo's behaviour. LOL.
Old March 18th, 2013, 11:10 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Dancer View Post
GF, I'm laughing at your pics of them playing hard. This morning Nikki was pounding on Lupa behind the love seat. Then Nikki came out and I could hear Lupa crying a bit. I went to look and see if he had hurt her back there, and she was laying on her side stuck under the sofa! I guess from the position she was in she couldn't pull herself back out and was just laying there crying pathetically. I had to lift if up so she could get out. Poor thing. Our pups are rough on each other aren't they my friend.
Is there any way you can block that off until the puppies are too big to get stuck? Poor puppy! This is my biggest fear not being able hear Marty crying if I have my hearing aid off.

GF that was just the looks Marty had on his face when he saw the wild turkey! LOL! I love to check out this thread to see your dogs, I thinks all the dogs here are great.
Old March 18th, 2013, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Jarrah putting Roo firmly in his place, she does this more often of late. He's getting to be a big boy now, he hasn't started teething though, only 4 months old.
I love the pic in the middle, looks like he is telling a very loud secret very cute picture

When Bestia and Guero play, I constantly have to say "be gentle", as I hear Guero's head banging on the floor, not very hard but hard enough that I hear. At least they always play on top of a mat so it helps a bit...

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
Old March 19th, 2013, 12:05 AM
Senior Contributor

That is funny, Jull. Now I look at it it seems as if Jarrah is really surprised by what he's telling her. Too funny. I am having to tell her to back off a bit now, but I actually think he is anyway.
Old March 22nd, 2013, 08:27 PM
Senior Contributor

I think they are practising for doggy synchronised swimming here,silly pair of twits.
In the last photo Roo is waiting for a tummy tickle.
Attached Images

Old March 22nd, 2013, 08:48 PM
Senior Contributor

I am with your dogs! Their personality is busting out of my computer.
Old March 23rd, 2013, 07:45 AM
Senior Contributor

There are too, too many cattle dogs in shelters if you should ever feel like rescuing one. You would never regret it, they have a ton of personality. Hope everyone will keep fingers crossed for my baby, Roo. I accidentally gave him a nasty poke in the eye, in other words I put a hand out to stop him jumping and we collided. I have luckily got eye ointment I could put in it to soothe it, but tomorrow's obedience class , well, we'll see how he is in the morning. I'm on a major guilt trip at the moment, poor boy.