Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Breed characteristics and traits > Breed bans - BSL - Pit Bull bans

Old October 15th, 2004, 10:09 AM
Senior Contributor

The BSL still has to pass legislation, its only now purposed

We can still fight this guys don't give up!
Old October 15th, 2004, 11:20 AM
Love all creatures

If anyone has the contact info of any of the MPPs, please please PLEASE post it on here you guys..we have alot of writing to do..and alot of educating people to do... we need as much support as we can get right now...so that as many people as possible can write to the MPs and let them know that we definately DO NOT agree with Bryants decision!

Please guys..this is more urgent than ever...I will try looking for the contact info of the MPs right now and post it as soon as I find some...everyone else please try to do the same..the more contacts the better!
Old October 15th, 2004, 11:28 AM
Senior Contributor

This is ludicrous and you are right we need to bombard these people with weell written and factual emails and faxes and letters. Jam their emails and faxes but don't do it with irrate irrational rantings. We ned to remain level headed so we are taken seriously. Hit citytv.com speakers corner with your views and anywhere else you can get your message out. Put petitions in your dog parks.
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old October 15th, 2004, 11:39 AM
Love all creatures

You guys..I'm sitting here and crying..this is so unfair

Here are some of the contacts that I've found..I'm looking for more though:

Provincial Government Office Constituency Office
Julia Munro, MPP York-North
Room 156
Legislative Building, Queen’s Park
Toronto, Ontario
M7A 1A8

Telephone: (416) 325-3392
Fax: (416) 325-3466
Suite 103
Newmarket, Ontario
L3Y 3E3
Telephone: (905) 898-8514
Fax: (905) 898-8517

Federal Government Office Constituency Office
Karen Kraft Sloan, MP York-North
Room 466
Confederation Building.
House of Commons
Ottawa, Ontario
K1A 0A6
Toll-free: 1 (800) 461-8791
e-Mail: kraftk@parl.gc.ca
665 Davis Drive
Unit 102
Newmarket, Ontario
L3Y 2R2
905/289 Area: (905) 836-9586 or (905) 836-7303
Ottawa: (613) 996-7752

http://www.parl.gc.ca/information/ab...cur.asp?lang=E
Here's a list with all the members of parliament...^

http://www.balkanpeace.org/getmp/index.shtml
And here is another one

If anyone has any OTHER contact sheets that have addresses, etc..please please post them...
Old October 15th, 2004, 11:42 AM
Senior Contributor

Names, addresses and emails are here, it's provincial:

http://olaap.ontla.on.ca/laompp/daCurMbr.do?locale=en
Old October 15th, 2004, 11:57 AM
Senior Contributor

Good work, I think we should all write one email each , include all MPPs email addresses there and call for any if not all to join our fight. There has to be atleast one that will agree with us. They can't all be stupid.
Old October 15th, 2004, 12:01 PM
And Zoodle's Mom!

Lovemypit,

God bless you for your determination. :love:
Old October 15th, 2004, 12:22 PM
Love all creatures

LL1..that website isn't loading for me..
Old October 15th, 2004, 12:31 PM
Senior Contributor

It's a bit slow but working for me - do you want them cut and pasted - it's a ton of info.
Old October 15th, 2004, 03:05 PM

Contact Your MPP

You can find out who your MPP is at this site:

http://www.electionsontario.on.ca/en/home_en.shtml

Contact at this site:

http://olaap.ontla.on.ca/laompp/daIndex.do?locale=en
Old October 15th, 2004, 03:12 PM

CP24 Poll

CP24 telephone poll 416-870-4400 Your no vote will be registered.
Results this eve. Call now, call often.
Old October 15th, 2004, 03:18 PM

Email MPPs

I don't have a computer at home so I can't do this but if someone has the time, you could email all MPP's with a quick note and paste the petition in the email its at over 1200 sigs right now.

http://www.petitiononline.com/mod_pe...ed.cgi?newban2
Old October 15th, 2004, 03:22 PM

Final Note

Final note, its closing time here. No computer at home. A new Toronto American Pitbull Meet Up group is forming. Visit this site: http://apbt.meetup.com/49/boards/
The mix doesn't matter as long as your dog likes other dogs.
if you are interested in joining. Our next meet is planned for Withrow on Oct 23rd, 3pm. Maybe we can do some organizing there.
Old October 15th, 2004, 03:37 PM
Senior Contributor

K, why does it say that there is a message from Dinah, but there's not... i'm losing it again!!
Old October 15th, 2004, 03:40 PM
Senior Contributor

I called 15 times to CP24,just keep calling every call registers a No-Vote..
From Dukieboy...416-870-4400 as many times as you want!!
Old October 15th, 2004, 03:42 PM
Senior Contributor

You can do that?!?! OKay, I'm on it!
Old October 15th, 2004, 03:44 PM
Senior Contributor

Pitbulliest,I am so sorry,I can understand why you are crying,it's so unfair.
I doubt they will change their mind,,but boy,do I sympathize with every good pit-bull owner.
Old October 15th, 2004, 03:46 PM
Senior Contributor

You can I just voted no 15 times
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old October 15th, 2004, 03:50 PM
Senior Contributor

I'm still voting
Old October 15th, 2004, 03:51 PM
Senior Contributor

Call Call Call!!!
Old October 16th, 2004, 12:03 AM
Love all creatures

Chico..I'm hoping that they will..we can still affect the MPs in government..forget Bryant now...but we gotta keep trying sad
Old October 16th, 2004, 07:38 AM
Senior Contributor

Remember, fill these letters with facts. Lots and Lots of facts. Make sure you can back them up. If you need to verify them or have a question, ask it. I am sure that we can come up with the reference you need.
Old October 16th, 2004, 10:37 AM
Love all creatures

I have already finished writing my letter..its a draft right now..because I still need people to look it over and tell me what else I can add or take away..its posted in a thread here..I'm not sure if you saw it...do you think I need to change or add anything?

I want the letter out to the MPs by Monday.

Oh..and what do you write on the bottom of the same letter is going out to more than one person?

Thanx guys
Old October 17th, 2004, 05:26 PM

I am very discouraged right now. I wrote Bryant at least 10 of the what... 5000 letters he said he recieved on this issue?

Yet nothing will stop him. The facts he spews are nonsense. I have done my own investigative research of Kitchener (where I live), and I even went so far as to contact Health officials in Ottawa looking for "dog bite reporting" and subsequent statistics.

I would very much like to know where Bryant is getting his statistical information on dog bite reports which are breed-specific, because Kitchener-Waterloo definately doesn't have them... nor do they have them on a Provincial or National scale! Am I to assume that officials have been hiding this evidence from the public? I am not sure what purpose that would serve?

Today, right now, my dog which has previously been called a "Pit Bull", is now a boxer cross. I dare any "official" to even try to prove it otherwise, because she is a mutt with absolutely no knowledge of parental history. She was found by the Ottawa Humane Society on the side of Highway 16 at 4 months, and we adopted her 2 months later. They listed here as a "Pit Bull Cross", but I now know after months of research on this issue that she could be... but she also could not be. She could be anything... but Bryant's Bill would have her ID'd as a restricted dog subject to some insane paranoia-infested Holocaust. There is no test, DNA or otherwise, that can prove what breed of dog she is. I dare say this is the case for most Pits out there as well.

What concerns me most about this looming "Bill" is the fact that it infringes upon my Canadian Constitutional Rights. The fact that any paranoid stranger walking by my house who sees my dog in the window, and believes she is a Pit Bull (a question I am asked at least half a dozen times a week), can call the local Police who will now have authority to enter and search my home to take my dog.

Welcome to the Witch Hunt. Do we now have to find a new province in which to live? What's next? I'm sorry, but I will not turn my dog in. She's my family.

I believe this issue needs to be taken to the National Level. I also believe Michael Bryant needs to be forced out of power. I am sorry to be a Canadian right now, and even sorrier I voted Liberal.
Old October 18th, 2004, 11:30 AM

Letter to MPP's

I sent this to all MPPs

Dear Member of Provincial Parliament,

I am writing to tell you that I find Mr Bryants behavior and recent actions thoughtless and rash. I can tell that his remarks are coming from a position of fear rather than contemplation and knowledge.

I have a nine month old pit bull. He is my pet. He is not dog or human aggressive. I am his protector he is not mine. What I can tell you about these dogs is that they require a lot of exercise. I mean a lot of exercise and not just a leisurely walk on the leash. My backyard is tiny. If I can't take him out to the Off Leash he won't get the exercise he needs. It isn't fair that other dogs can be raised happy and healthy and not mine. This proposed legislation is proposed cruelty to animals. What is the point of letting people keep their pitbulls if they will not be able to care for them properly? Why isn't Michael Bryant listening to the experts on this issue? I urge you to listen to the folks who have knowledge in this area. I think if Michael Bryant had to euthanize all these dogs personally or care for one, his position would quickly change.

Finally, my dog doesn't need a muzzle. He looks ridiculous with one on. Again, this is outrageously cruel. People laugh because he is such a gentle little animal. He has never bitten anyone or another dog despite being snapped at on a number of occasions.

Please consider the facts and the opinions of experts when you vote on this proposed legislation. There is absolutely nothing creative about the solution Michael Bryant has proposed.

M******* ********
Toronto, ON
M5A 3B4
(416)***-****

There are currently over 3,000 signatures on the attached petition against Breed Specific Legislation. There are a lot of families that will be affected by this proposed legislation.
http://www.petitiononline.com/mod_pe...ed.cgi?newban2
Old October 18th, 2004, 12:02 PM
Senior Contributor

Talking

I think that letter sounds great. I just emailed about half of the MPs my view on Bryant and this government. Now if you look at what the media is saying there on our side now. I haven't read one negative story on them but have read editorials against it. Either they just want to stir the pot or some have come to there senses. I really think we have a chance if we don't give up
Old October 18th, 2004, 12:06 PM
Senior Contributor

That's a great letter, for the future though it's a good idea to add information about why this ban will not work - factual information. A couple of good sites to get that kind of information are:

Good Pooch
Dog Watch
Old October 18th, 2004, 12:09 PM

THe muzzle looks ridiculous? Well, he would only need to wear it if off leash - this is only fair. There are aggressive pitbulls running around in my neighbourhood - you could surely sacrifice the looks of your dog for the safety of others and the future of your breed as whole, wouldn't you?
Old October 18th, 2004, 12:10 PM
Senior Contributor

How many of us have to feel like criminals because the government says we are? People stop there cars to look at my dog, they cross the street, give me bad looks. Yet I have never been in jail and the worse law I ever broke was a speeding and the fatc that I tried pot (hey who hasnt?). Oh and now own a pit bull.... Slap on the cuffs. I had a a huge party for my Bday saturday night. For the first couple hours people where standing looking over the baby gate that holds my pit bull capone in. They where standing there gawking at him wondering about his ablilities to attack. Once the half or so left I let him out. Let me tell you he was so good. I convinced alot of people that they aren't that bad. I had people who were scared of dogs in general getting down on the floor with him. I credit his good behaviour to the fact that he was a little scared but when hes scared hes even more docile. He just sat between people legs giving them his pathetic love me look.
Old October 18th, 2004, 12:14 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Required_Fields
THe muzzle looks ridiculous? Well, he would only need to wear it if off leash - this is only fair. There are aggressive pitbulls running around in my neighbourhood - you could surely sacrifice the looks of your dog for the safety of others and the future of your breed as whole, wouldn't you?
Pit bulls would have to wear a muzzle as soon as they step onto public property. They will never be allowed off leash.
It's not a fashion statement that's a concern. It's the fact that it's viewed as inhumane to have a dog wear a muzzle all the time. I personally feel that it's not required. There are some aggressive pit bulls running around your neighbourhood?? I would call animal control about stray dogs that are running around your neighbourhood. What have these dogs done for you to assume that they are agressive?