Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Suggestions & Improvements

Old October 14th, 2004, 11:06 PM

Reeeaaaallllyyyy Old Threads?

Is there any way to lock threads automatically after a certain time period? Or maybe have a warning pop up telling folks that the thread's latest response is more than "X" months old? Just curious.
Old November 3rd, 2004, 10:09 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

Good question - Let me look into this - But I'm guessing it would have to be 1 setting for ALL threads.

It depends on the thread though right? Let's say the thread is about natural flea remedies someone might well have something useful to add after 2 years.

....on the other hand if the thread is about something topical that happened in 2002 it should be locked after a few months.

So I put the question back out to the members - How old is really old so that the thread should be locked.

PS - sorry for the delay in answering this

Thanks

marko
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old November 3rd, 2004, 10:16 AM
Senior Contributor

Both have excellent questions!

Marko, I think that if there is a dog for adoption and after 6 - 12 months it should be locked... there are people I'm sure that view them and get their hopes up that they might be able to get a new companion, not realizing that the dog HAD to go 4 months ago...

I think threads covering issues like rawhide, or flea powder that can always be added to and newbies should have the chance to contribute!

That's an excellent question. Thanks for asking for our input!
Old November 3rd, 2004, 10:24 AM

I agree with both of you. Maybe do this for the Adoption sections of the board only? And maybe for the other sections, have the warning pop-up only if the latest reply is more than a year old? Make it a warning only, so if they have something useful to add, they can still do so ("Warning! The thread you are about to reply to has been inactive for over one year." and then a "OK" or "Continue" button)?

Thanks for the response. No need to worry about taking long - you do have a life, right?
Old November 4th, 2004, 07:02 AM
Senior Contributor

I also think........keeping old threads open is a good idea......and I agree with sammiec and w4f close the adoption pages could perhaps have a sticky that states the thread will automatically be locked after 2-4 months unless updated regularily