Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old September 18th, 2012, 08:23 PM

Gerenal Questions

I have got to the point where I think my cat is going to die. So I have som general questions.

1 - How much weight can a cat loose before it will die? he was around 14lbs when he was healthy, now he is 10lb and slowly loosing. He is a 1 1/2 year old ragamuffin type cat.

2 - How long can a cat continue to throw up before dying? I feel like this stress cannot be good on his body?

3 - How long does it take a cat to digest food? I found a piece of ham in his throw up. Ham I am sure they stole from the counter last night or some time today before 4:30pm, its now 9pm and it was a whole piece?

4 - How can I help him? The vet is very good, I trust him, but Bandit is so up and down I don't even know what else to try right now.

We were given a while pill to give the cat for a month called prednisolone.

Can someone help me or calm me down, or tell me what to do It breaks my heart.
Old September 18th, 2012, 09:18 PM

He is sitting in his box now, and I can hear him breathing, it is like a squeek, every time he takes a breath, is this normal? Usually he doesn't do this!?
Old September 18th, 2012, 09:53 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyxx View Post
I have got to the point where I think my cat is going to die. So I have som general questions.

1 - How much weight can a cat loose before it will die? he was around 14lbs when he was healthy, now he is 10lb and slowly loosing. He is a 1 1/2 year old ragamuffin type cat.

2 - How long can a cat continue to throw up before dying? I feel like this stress cannot be good on his body?

3 - How long does it take a cat to digest food? I found a piece of ham in his throw up. Ham I am sure they stole from the counter last night or some time today before 4:30pm, its now 9pm and it was a whole piece?

4 - How can I help him? The vet is very good, I trust him, but Bandit is so up and down I don't even know what else to try right now.

We were given a while pill to give the cat for a month called prednisolone.

Can someone help me or calm me down, or tell me what to do It breaks my heart.
This web site said the drug can cause vomiting. Why is your cat on prednisolone?

http://www.1800petmeds.com/Prednisolone-prod238154.html
Old September 18th, 2012, 10:04 PM

They think he has IDB. So its supposed to help him with that. They gave us a 2 weeks dose of the drug when he was pooping blood last time, along with a blue pill which I think was an antibiotic, they both seemed to help him.
Old September 19th, 2012, 06:53 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Is this the same cat who was vomiting furballs? Is the cat eating the Felidae?

How long between the 14lbs & 10 lbs?

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old September 19th, 2012, 07:22 AM

Same cat yes. He made it through the night, thank goodness.

I can hand feed him Cat Tuna today.

He's the furball one, hes been 14lbs for a while before all of this started. The first time we took him to the vet he was 11lbs which was about 3 weeks ago, and yesterday he was just under 10lbs.
Old September 19th, 2012, 07:28 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

I would get a full blood panel done, that's not normal.

What the pred does is stop the immune system from causing inflammation in the colon hopefully some time to heal. Something like cold medicine to stop the nose from dripping, but doesn't help cure the cold virus. The problem is, that it doesn't fix what was causing the problem in the first place.

I keep moving back & forth between threads, so please forgive me if I'm answering in the wrong thread.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old September 19th, 2012, 07:31 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Another good thing about Nature's Variety, Instinct, canned is that it doesn't have any carrageenan, which is very controversial about causing inflammation in the colon.

http://www.cornucopia.org/2012/06/em...eenan-in-food/

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old September 19th, 2012, 07:43 AM

Yeah I keep creating threatds, oops! I just keep on thinking of new questions and get really upset and worried, coming on here and writing it all down really helps me to focus on the problem.

Yes, I think the vet wants to settle his colon issues / stop the blood and try and get him on a diet that will keep it off.

He thinks the problem is 100% IBD, but I SWEAR he did not used to make sighing / light wheezing noises when he breathed.
Old September 19th, 2012, 08:15 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Yeah I keep creating threatds, oops! I just keep on thinking of new questions and get really upset and worried, coming on here and writing it all down really helps me to focus on the problem.

Yes, I think the vet wants to settle his colon issues / stop the blood and try and get him on a diet that will keep it off.

He thinks the problem is 100% IBD, but I SWEAR he did not used to make sighing / light wheezing noises when he breathed.
The wheezing sounds could be asthma???? or a viral infection in the respiratory tract.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old September 19th, 2012, 09:31 AM

My boyfriend said he has always made that noise, but it really sounds like his nose is blocked, you know when you try and breathe with a cold. Thats what it sounds like, and when he eats there is a noise as well, not really like a bad wheeze but there is something.

Do you think I should call the vet to tell him about the squeak? He never listened to his lungs last night as far as I can remember.
Old September 19th, 2012, 09:54 PM

Scotty, Are Bandit's eyes and/or nose runny? My cat Kitty is having that right now as well. Hers is an upper respiratory infection. The vet gave her some Clavamox for it. I found that the best thing for it though was to put her in the bathroom with the door shut and the humidifier on. There were several times that she would not eat and I knew it was because she could not smell her food. The humidifier really made a world of difference with her being able to smell. If you don't have a humidifier, shutting him in the bathroom while you take a hot shower would help also.

I understand why you are stressed. Kitty is very sick as well and I feel like I am always having to get on the internet to look up symptoms or coming on here.
Old September 20th, 2012, 10:24 AM

Quote:
My boyfriend said he has always made that noise, but it really sounds like his nose is blocked, you know when you try and breathe with a cold. Thats what it sounds like, and when he eats there is a noise as well, not really like a bad wheeze but there is something.

Do you think I should call the vet to tell him about the squeak? He never listened to his lungs last night as far as I can remember.
That may or may not be anything. One of my girls often squeaks when she breathes and sometimes even wakes me up with her snoring. Vet said to wait a while before doing anything, that cats can develop little polup like things in their noses that can make funny noises. I have been waiting 4 years now and she is still fine. I should have named her Squeaky.
Old September 21st, 2012, 08:05 AM

His eyes and nose are not runny, they are just fine. So that's good at least! He always jumps in the shower with me, with the hot damp hair, I assume that would help!

I am always going online every time I see anything, I get myself so upset and stressed, I really need to calm down.

Good to know about the squeak! He is finally eating and playing again, but I keep him locked in his room all night alone, so I can watch what goes in and what goes out.

He is getting sad at being alone, but it needs to happen. He is also COVERED in poop because it is so runny and his hair is so long, but I do not want to bathe him as it stresses him out and makes him sick.

Oh my little guy!
Old September 21st, 2012, 09:32 AM

Bathe him by rubbing him with a damp facecloth rather than full immersion.
Old September 21st, 2012, 01:49 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

After he's cleaned up some can you clip his hair so that he stays a little cleaner? A scissor trim might not be so stressful for the poor dear.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old September 22nd, 2012, 07:13 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
After he's cleaned up some can you clip his hair so that he stays a little cleaner? A scissor trim might not be so stressful for the poor dear.
That's what I do with Puddles & Jasper. I do have salon quality scissors to use, it is so much easier on the kitties.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old September 24th, 2012, 09:35 AM

Been trying to trim him, but he is just so suspicious of me! He keeps on running away and I am terrified I clip his skin! Because he is a ragdoll type cat he has a soft pudgy little belly, that feels exactly the same as matted fur! I have been running after him and wiping his bum with a baby wipe for the past 2 days haha!
Old September 24th, 2012, 11:55 PM

Run a comb gently into the fur & trim with scissors only the fur on your the side of the comb, that way the comb stays between scissors and skin

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old September 25th, 2012, 02:44 PM

Good Idea, comb it is!