Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum

Old September 8th, 2012, 07:46 PM

Rabies

I would just like to post this info and a link because often when we post on threads or make threads about things that date far back we are scolded and told what we are saying is untrue.

I was told that the brothers of my dog died of Rabies in the late 80s. This fact was disputed. My dog came from Ontario and we live in Quebec.

I felt bad when this fact was ridiculed because I had bought that my dogs brothers had died of rabies.

I researched if in those years there were in fact rabies in Ontario. I wanted to share this with you so people are careful to research before accusing.

http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/en/Business...02_168959.html

On this website they do say there were rabies cases in those years.

I guess when news gets old it is forgotten.

Quote from the website;

"Rabid pets: In the late 1980s, almost 200 cases of rabid dogs and cats were reported each year. With the reduction of rabies in wildlife and mandatory pet vaccination, there has been a significant decrease in the numbers of rabid dogs and cats over the past decade. It is law that cats and dogs must be vaccinated against rabies in most parts of Ontario."
Old September 8th, 2012, 10:38 PM

http://veterinarynews.dvm360.com/dvm.../detail/753917

Another article of interest. Vaccination is a really important thing!
Old September 9th, 2012, 09:58 AM

More interesting facts...
http://www.jwildlifedis.org/content/42/3/589.full.pdf

I have already established that there were indeed rabies in Ontario at the time when the brothers of my dog were supposed to have succumb to it.

This article of a later date states that "in Ontario, Canada. Raccoons accounted
for 98% (125/127) of the reported cases with behaviors/conditions including aggression, fighting
with dogs, ataxia, vocalizations, appearance of being sick, and the presence of porcupine...Multiple cases of raccoon rabies occurred at several barns,
suggesting that those structures serve as focal points of rabies transmission as a result of denning..."Journal of Wildlife Diseases, 42(3), 2006, pp. 589–605
# Wildlife Disease Association 2006

The site where I got my dog consisted of dogs outside I am not sure how many of these little dog houses were strewn on the property.

And enclosures attached and giving entrance to the BARN.

I guess you would have to be a pretty unlucky skunk or raccoon to take up residence in this barn.

The breeders were both retired and aging and the place was clean as far as dog feces but was a bit run down like they were a dying business. In the photos we see my dogs mother among other dogs that all are typically Siberian.

These are the photos I was permitted to take and got permission to take.

Last edited by kittiesandbirds; September 9th, 2012 at 10:10 AM.
Old September 10th, 2012, 08:12 AM

http://www.fas.org/ahead/RABIES.HTM

More about the history of rabies.

Although my daughter has a degree in microbiology I sadly do not. I will use the vulgarization I know and may make errors in the terms. For this reason any new info I find will be accompanied by info from professionals.

The document cited above is of interest although it is not concerning rabies in Canada. I don't know how many strains of rabies have existed through out history there is a graphic on this website.

In some Canadian documents they state that in the 80s the variant of rabies was fox rabies probably indicating the principal reservoir however this was also carried by skunks. This document states they were the principal carrier in the states.

My daughter worked making vaccines but has recently changed branches as she got a second University degree and is working in another domain. I am familiar to some of the terms in this document because of that. The most interesting info I found and was not aware of was that some "attenuated" bait vaccines were actually making animals sick. When a virus is attenuated it is simply a weaker version of itself (vulgarized obviously).

"The raccoon rabies epizootic in the eastern United States provided renewed impetus for reconsidering oral vaccination technology, first conceived at the Center for Disease Control in the 1960s (34). The shift of the vaccination and baiting methods from a fox model to the raccoon involved extensive field and laboratory research during the 1980s. The existing attenuated rabies vaccines for foxes were shown to be less effective for raccoons and other carnivores (35,36). Additionally, studies of new candidate vaccines raised safety issues regarding vaccine-induced disease in wildlife (36)." Quote from: The Ascension of Wildlife Rabies: A Cause for Public Health Concern or Intervention?

Charles E. Rupprecht, V.M.D., Ph.D., Jean S. Smith, M.S.
Makonnen Fekadu, D.V.M., Ph.D., and James E. Childs, Sc.D.
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, Georgia, USA

Orginally published in Emerging Infectious Diseases, October-December 1995

The new vaccine developed was not an attenuated virus.

In this article they speak of dog to dog transmission of the variant of rabies which according to them was mostly carried by a certain type of skunk but commonly referred to as the fox variant before the raccoon variant became more widely spread.

Just like raccoon denned in barns according to the previous article, when I was young skunks often wandered into the yard and found their way into the garbage cans. As a young teen our dog was sprayed by a skunk. We unfortunately had a couple of garbage cans behind the house and had not noticed the skunks foraging when we let the dog out.