Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old August 22nd, 2012, 06:00 PM
Senior Contributor

Trimming fur on pads - English Setter or Setter Mixes

Just a silly question that I have been wondering about.

This may be directed mostly at Hazelrunpack - but anyone with English Setters or mixes please feel free to chime in.

I am asking because Jessie's pads grow fur quickly. She hates for me to cut it - although she is good, just not happy. And I am not fond of doing the job, roomie does it more than me.

Will it just keep growing if not trimmed? Or will it wear off and only get to a certain length? I can imagine her walking about with "slippers" if I don't trim.

Advice?

Thanks,
Diane
Old August 22nd, 2012, 07:48 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmc123 View Post
Just a silly question that I have been wondering about.

This may be directed mostly at Hazelrunpack - but anyone with English Setters or mixes please feel free to chime in.

I am asking because Jessie's pads grow fur quickly. She hates for me to cut it - although she is good, just not happy. And I am not fond of doing the job, roomie does it more than me.

Will it just keep growing if not trimmed? Or will it wear off and only get to a certain length? I can imagine her walking about with "slippers" if I don't trim.

Advice?

Thanks,
Diane
http://www.dogs-and-dog-advice.com/english-setter.html
this web site said you should trim the fur on their paws .
Old August 22nd, 2012, 11:25 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

You can let it go if you don't mind the extra dirt. It does "max out" after a while. I do trim them about 3 times a year, mainly to control how much mud they track in. You don't need to trim it between the pads--I just snip off the longest stuff that's sticking out between at just above the level of the pad. At the same time, I comb the fur up from between the toes from the top of the foot and trim that off, too, and finish up by trimming the 'ankle/wrist' and leg feathers so that nothing is dragging on the ground.

It doesn't take too long per dog, but usually my back is about shot by the time I finish them all.

If she doesn't like getting it cut, make a game of it. Start slow, handling each paw individually for a little bit, then giving her a treat (I used to train with carrot coins--low calorie but they seem to like them ). Increase the handling time as she gets comfortable with it, then introduce the scissors again. Our guys seem more comfortable if we tend to their feet the same way a farrier would shoe a horse--lean over her as she stands and bring the foot up to the back. If you're straddling her, she can lean against your leg while you're working on her feet.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old August 23rd, 2012, 11:06 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
You can let it go if you don't mind the extra dirt. It does "max out" after a while. I do trim them about 3 times a year, mainly to control how much mud they track in. You don't need to trim it between the pads--I just snip off the longest stuff that's sticking out between at just above the level of the pad. At the same time, I comb the fur up from between the toes from the top of the foot and trim that off, too, and finish up by trimming the 'ankle/wrist' and leg feathers so that nothing is dragging on the ground.

It doesn't take too long per dog, but usually my back is about shot by the time I finish them all.

If she doesn't like getting it cut, make a game of it. Start slow, handling each paw individually for a little bit, then giving her a treat (I used to train with carrot coins--low calorie but they seem to like them ). Increase the handling time as she gets comfortable with it, then introduce the scissors again. Our guys seem more comfortable if we tend to their feet the same way a farrier would shoe a horse--lean over her as she stands and bring the foot up to the back. If you're straddling her, she can lean against your leg while you're working on her feet.
My standard poodle hated to have his legs and paws touch . When he was
be trained to be a hearing dog the groomer let my dog have his way so when I met my hearing dog for the first time his legs where so matted you could not get a clipper through his fur. I was shocked. So when someone tell me they're getting a new puppy I tell the person to made sure and touch and brush their puppy all over it body so they puppy will get use to this.
Old August 23rd, 2012, 11:33 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

We do that with any new dog, Barkingdog--puppy or older. Some really take to it. The day Brier arrived we had to give him a bath and groom him after--I did the other 6 dogs first with him watching and when I got to him, he let me do teeth, ears, nails, trims and body brushing! When Grace arrived a few weeks later, well, she was not quite so obliging! But with patience and consistency, even Grace came around.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old August 23rd, 2012, 03:43 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
We do that with any new dog, Barkingdog--puppy or older. Some really take to it. The day Brier arrived we had to give him a bath and groom him after--I did the other 6 dogs first with him watching and when I got to him, he let me do teeth, ears, nails, trims and body brushing! When Grace arrived a few weeks later, well, she was not quite so obliging! But with patience and consistency, even Grace came around.
Marty does not like to have his legs brush , I got him when he was 2 yo. He is getting use it and like it when my granddaughter groom him. Yeah , you're new older dogs and cats should be trained to touch all over.
Old August 23rd, 2012, 04:38 PM
Senior Contributor

Thanks to all - great advice. I didn't mean to say she hates having her feet touched, we've worked on that since she was a little bitty thing. I think it is just scary. I do like the idea of standing over her, going to try that next time. We've been putting her on her back and I think the other way might really work for her.

Thanks again.

Diane