Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old August 26th, 2012, 10:19 AM

Arf

Hi, my cat has been diagnosed with acute renal failure. He is only 5 years old. The vet could not tell me if it was poisoning or an infection which made him ill, but it is most likely infection as he is a house cat and we don't keep lilies or anti freeze lying around.

I took Cloud in on Tuesday as he had stopped eating and was yowling in discomfort.

The vet examined him but could not find anything obvious wrong with him. She gave him a shot of antibiotics and a pain killer then some special food we could try and encourage him to eat.

When we got home he was happy to eat.

But after then he seemed to get worse, only eating little bits and not really drinking. The vet had given us another appointment on Friday to check up on him.

When he was examined this time it was found that his kidneys were very tender and he was dehydrated. They would take bloods and get him on a drip to rehydrate him.

A few hours later I got a call with the blood results. He has very severe acute renal failure and the next 48 hours were critical.

He was put on an aggressive fluid drip which would try and flush all of the toxins from his system. He was also being given an antibiotic and something for his stomach.

He ate on Friday night but not that much yesterday. His second blood test was done today but there was no improvement at all and the vet told me I should consider having him put down.

Cloud is my baby, you're all pet owners so probably know what I mean when I say he is my wee boy and I will do everything in my power to save him.

I have read on websites that fluids are administered between 48 and 96 hours and asked to have the fluids remain until tomorrow when more blood will be taken. He's been on them for 3 days now, tomorrow will be day 4.

Does any one have any experience with this? Is there any chance his kidneys will improve now if they haven't already?

I've been crying nonstop. The thought of putting him to sleep is tearing me apart.

Last edited by shinyspade; August 26th, 2012 at 10:39 AM.
Old August 28th, 2012, 02:34 AM

The condition of his kidneys will make the determination of whether they will improve or not. If (and I ) there is improvement in the blood work & Clouds' physical state with the 4 day drip, there may be irreversible damage to the kidneys which would then be considered chronic (on going for the rest of his life but not as high numbers/immediately dangerous situation)

I've dealt with Chronic renal failure in one of my own cats & know of someone whose cat had ARF go into remission due to fluids given both at the vets office and later at home.

Her posts are in this thread starting w this one: http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread....169#post930169

Some more info here:
http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=57064
http://www.newportharborvets.com/cat...e-in-cats.html
http://www.petplace.com/cats/acute-r...ats/page1.aspx
http://www.petside.com/condition/cat...e-acute-feline

Would love an update on how Cloud is doing and if you could post the blood work numbers with reference ranges I wouldn't mind having a look at those as well

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying

Vindication ~ For all those pets who became sick or lost their lives from tainted pet food
Old August 28th, 2012, 02:58 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

I don't have any experience with renal failure, shinyspade, but do want you wish you and Cloud all the best!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."