Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old May 14th, 2014, 09:57 AM
Senior Contributor

BANG! Bang-bang! Ok, Let's Cut This Walk Short

It's turkey season in Ontario and we heard shots at the end of the trail, in the direction we were heading. I always wear my safety vest and had my hat on too but deemed it prudent to turn around and go back. Lucky it was a guy with a shotgun. Don't hear those that are out with bows.

Drove around to the end, found his car, saw him walking out towards it. He was wearing full camo. Not much chance I'd see him if he wasn't moving.

Be careful folks. Check the seasons and regulations for hunting in areas you walk your dog. I was on the Trans Canada Trail and it is legal to shoot across the trail, in Ontario. It's not legal to shoot across a trail or road that is open to vehicular traffic. Snowmobiles and ATVs etc. do not count as vehicles.

Right now it's turkey season and they can use guns or bows and even with guns can wear full camo.

Be careful.
Old May 15th, 2014, 11:31 AM
Senior Contributor

And as it turned out, while I was avoiding the hunter my OH and his friend saw an injured turkey on the roadside some distance away from me. We finally got a CO to go out with OH and dispatch the poor thing. She'd been hit by a car and had a broken wing and a broken leg. OH maintains his hunting license for waterfowl but does not have one for turkey so he couldn't legally help her by himself.

Something else to be careful of folks. In the busier hunting seasons, like turkey and deer, hunter presence in the bush frightens animals of all species and vehicle collisions go up every spring and even worse every fall.

ETA: And who was the sorry excuse for humanity who hit her, left her there to die, and didn't even call anyone to report an animal in distress?
Old May 19th, 2014, 09:22 AM
Senior Contributor

I see this is getting views and I think it's good information judging by the dog walkers I meet who have no idea someone besides themselves is allowed in some areas and even allowed to hunt. Or not allowed and doing it anyway as I have found a disconcerting number of time.

Met the hunter himself this morning, full camo, gun not bow. Not the same guy I saw a couple of days ago. This morning's hunter told me there was another hunter in, he'd seen his car and heard his shots.

Something else I think I will mention is that I meet a number of non-hunters who think hunting is not allowed on Sunday. Yes I know today is Monday. Hunting on Sunday is permitted by several municipalities throughout Ontario. Where I am bow hunting on Sunday is allowed but not guns. However I have met hunters with guns on Sunday.
Old May 19th, 2014, 09:29 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

Thanks for pointing this out LB
Who knew walking your dog was a risk to your own life?
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter