Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old April 25th, 2012, 11:42 AM

torn ligament

Hello,

This is my first time posting a question. I just wanted to see if any one else's pet has had this problem. Our 11 year old dog, bichon/cocker spaniel was running and suddenly yelped. His was lifting his hind leg and not walking on it. Now he walks on it but it still favours it especially when he gets up from lying down. It has definitely got better over the last month. Our vet told us he has a torn ligament in his knee and needs an operation.

I found a website that says surgery is not always the best option. Rest and restricting activity so his leg can heal and scar tissue can form to make the knee strong again can be a better solution. He said it can take months and months to heal it.

Our dog is 24lbs and still quite active but sleeps a lot (since he is 11 already)

Has anyone come across this problem and what did you do?

Last edited by coldwpg; April 25th, 2012 at 11:48 AM. Reason: add a thank you
Old April 25th, 2012, 01:29 PM
Senior Contributor

Hi Coldwpg and welcome to the board. Sorry it's under such circumstances.

One of my dogs pulled a ligament in her leg (it may have been torn slightly) when she was young and the vet opted not to operate. It bothered her off and on all her life, which was sadly very short. She had hip dysplasia (she was large) and when she actually did tear the ligament at 7 years old she had to be pts due to her bad hips surgery at that point was not an option.

Your dog is a smaller dog and could in theory live for many more years. If it were my dog, and my vet recommended it, I would go ahead and have the surgery done to prevent discomfort and any further complications. That said of course nothing is ever guaranteed. Except that without the surgery your dog could be in pain for the rest of his life.

If you are uncertain about your vet's recommendation you could always get a second opinion. I wish you the best of luck with this decision and that your pup heals well.