Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old April 18th, 2012, 12:57 PM

costs?

Before asking this here, i have searched and could not find anything.
I have been considering a dog, most likely a Siberian Husky. I was wondering what kind of expenses will i come across owning a dog.

Thank you, much appreciated
-Hassan
Old April 18th, 2012, 06:14 PM
Senior Contributor

Well, that is a loaded question but a very good one to ask before adopting a pet. You need to take into consideration what the dogs food costs will be, annual vet visits, spay/neuter costs, taking care of any illnessess he/she may get, city/county licensing, leashes, beds, collars, bowls......the list can be a long one. OOPS forgot toys, blankies....

Some of our members have spent thousands of dollars on their pets that have been ill, lame or even aged.

I hope this gives you an idea of some of the costs that you will have.
Old April 18th, 2012, 06:48 PM

What is your experience with dogs?
Have you ever had a dog/puppy before?
What is the fence like in your yard?
How much time do you have to devote to training, socializing and exercising the dog?
Are you looking for a puppy or an older dog?

These are just some questions that need to be worked out before the cost analysis of owning a dog.

The Siberian Husky is a beautiful dog and a wonderful breed, I've lived with two myself, but not really a breed recommended for first time dog owners.

In addition to the shedding & (usually) twice yearly coat blowing sessions, these dogs are highly intelligent, stubborn, runners and escape artists.

A secure fence is a must as these dogs were bred to run endlessly and given the chance they will. They also are quite adept at figuring out how to open latches to garner their release.

Consistent positive training is also a must as they can be stubborn, once they have learned a command/behaviour they may choose not to do as asked as they figure why do it again since they already know it.

Do you know anyone who currently has a Siberian Husky? Perhaps spending several hours or a couple of days with the breed will help you to understand some of their needs and personality

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old April 18th, 2012, 06:56 PM
Helicopter Champion

Hi,
I can't comment on spay/neuter costs as my pups had it included in their adoption fees, however you will be looking at roughly the following expenses for a 60 to 70 lb dog (these are prices I have for my dogs ... depending on your location and vet, they may be higher or lower):

Food: ~$60-70 per month - this is for high quality food ... don't let the cost scare you ... cheap food, despite the poor nutritional value and all the other issues that go along with it, may seem inexpensive, but you will feed twice as much - end of month expense will be about the same
Vet: annual check-up ~$100 - 150
Toys and treats: $5 to 20/mos
License: $20/year
Grooming: $180/year (this is for my small 20lb dog)
Emergency vet visits: $0 - $2500/year [depending on emergency, this can go much higher!!]

Then there are added costs as noted: blankets, crates, pillows, bowls, leash/collar, new couch/chair/carpet/door casing/baseboard moulding/and anything else the dog decided to chew and or destroy during the silly puppy years.

Cheers,
Gracie - 7 yr old tuxedo kitty

Monty - RIP buddy
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

"If your dog doesn't like someone you probably shouldn't either." - Unknown
"If cats could talk they would lie to you"
Old April 19th, 2012, 10:42 AM

Our female 1-year old husky is currently hospitalized for suspected type I GI anaphylaxis. We spent $750 on Sunday for emergency vet care and I suspect that this hospitalization will cost $3000+. It cost $328.19 to have her spayed (it cost $301.69 to have our mixed breed neutered). They had their routine vaccinations earlier this month and that cost about $100 each. We take them for nail trimmings and that cost $15 each. We spend probably $200/mth on food for them, but I should note that we give them something like chicken breast every day in addition to their dry dog food. We spend probably $50/mth on treats, toys, etc. We buy "disposable" couches, because with all their running and jumping they never seem to last long. And we've had to replace some wooden things about the house because they chewed on everything when they were puppies. You'll also need to buy a good brush because a husky sheds enough to knit sweaters. So, if you use something like a Swiffer to clean your floors, be prepared to spend a lot more on cloths (which are a bit pricey, in my opinion).

I guess my biggest piece of advice (aside from all the usual things like having the time to devote to them, etc) is to make sure you're in a position to provide excellent health care for your dog. I've heard of people with sick animals who don't go to a vet because they say they can't afford it. That's unfair to the animal. If you adopt a husky, you have to be financially prepared to face whatever comes up.

And having said all that, I'd add that the love they give in return is worth every penny. Good luck in your decision. It's not one to be made lightly.

Last edited by will2power; April 20th, 2012 at 08:55 AM.