Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old February 23rd, 2012, 10:04 AM
Senior Contributor
Tetris Champion, Cell-Out Champion

Suggestions?

Hi guys

Ok this is our issue. We are pretty positive Nookie is allergic to both chicken and beef. He's got some pretty bad diarrhea right now. Not going any more often than normal, but when he does, it's runny. I'm sure it's the chicken in the food we were feeding him. Normally, when he gets diarrhea, we would boil some hamburger and rice to reset his gut. But because of the beef allergy, we can't give him that. For Thorin, we would boil chicken breast and rice, but again, because of the possible allergy/intolerance to chicken, we can't give him that either. He's great on Salmon, so I have given him salmon and rice the last 2 meals, but his poos aren't firming up at all. I'm pretty sure it's because salmon has a lot of fat in it and the diet should be bland. We gave him cooked pork before and he got really smelly gas and soft poos. We gave him turkey and the same thing. I'm running out of ideas. I don't want to put him on Metronidazole if we can avoid it. I just don't know what to feed him to firm up his poos again

Any suggestions are appreciated! And of course, if it doesn't reslove in the next couple of days, we will be going to the vet. He's acting completely normal. It's just when he poos, it's runny.

Thanks!!

Robyn

"Who can believe that there is no soul behind those luminous eyes!" ~ Theophile Gautier

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole" - Ok... whoever said this has never had a sick or special needs baby. They ARE our whole life!

R.I.P. my sweet, handsome Thorin. You are missed dearly Dec. 25, 1999 - Mar. 4, 2012
Old February 23rd, 2012, 10:23 AM
Senior Contributor

Robyn, sorry to hear Nookie is having these food / poop issues. We've been through them with Halo too. It sucks!

Have you tried tuna maybe? I don't think it's as oily as salmon. Lamb is pretty rich or I'd suggest that, but my two always got the runs after a few days of lamb. Are there any butchers or anyone around you who may carry some alternate meats, I don't know what goat is like, but you could probably get one from a butcher if you ordered it. Do the pet stores sell stuff like horse meat(sorry, just the thought bugs me, but it's out there)?

I know I tried Halo once on a vegetarian diet, and it almost killed her. It was awful. She threw up constantly on it and was worse than with her allergies. So I wouldn't suggest that other than a last chance diet.

In the meanwhile, while I would normally suggest a bit of pumpkin to firm up the poops, it may not be a great idea if you're actively switching foods to see if there's a change. The pumpkin would mask what you're looking for.

Good luck to you my friend. Hugs to you and the pups.
Old February 23rd, 2012, 10:51 AM
Half Way To Crazy

sorry to hear that Nookie is having issues

what about

rabbit
duck
venison
elk
kangaroo
ostridge sp?

I have seen most of these novelty meats maybe a butcher would carry these??..
Old February 23rd, 2012, 11:51 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

I was thinking venison might be a good choice, too, Robyn. It's fairly lean and would be a novel protein for him. I hope he firms up soon! Pass on some hugs for both your boys from me, too, pls!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old February 24th, 2012, 08:25 PM

Lean pork worked for one of my dogs. Costco always had the best price.
Old February 25th, 2012, 12:19 AM
Senior Contributor

Thanks for the suggestions! I was thinking Venison as well, but I can't find anything local. pbpatti was telling me that one of the grocery stores here sells rabbit, but they only have a few at a time, so it probably wouldn't work. I did talk to the vet yesterday when I took Thorin in and she said the salmon, even though it is rich in omegas, is still pretty lean and his poo's should start to firm up. We have put him back on a probiotic as well. If it isn't better by Monday, we will have to take a sample in. Thorin has diarrhea now as well and threw up this morning, so I'm thinking maybe the whole food thing was coincidence and they actually got a bug from daycare

Maxalisa, I tried pork with Nookie. In fact, we're going to be so sick of it soon lol... whole boneless loins were on sale for $2.00 lb, so I bought about 60 lbs, then realized Nookie can't eat it
He got really gassy and soft poo's from it. So now we're stuck eating it!
If the weather clears up in the next couple of weeks, I think a BIG BBQ may be in order

"Who can believe that there is no soul behind those luminous eyes!" ~ Theophile Gautier

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole" - Ok... whoever said this has never had a sick or special needs baby. They ARE our whole life!

R.I.P. my sweet, handsome Thorin. You are missed dearly Dec. 25, 1999 - Mar. 4, 2012
Old February 25th, 2012, 12:01 PM
Senior Contributor

Ok, Nookie had a semi-solid poo!!
I think the worst of it is over. I'll keep him on the salmon and rice for a few more days, then probably put him back on THK for now. He may have had big poos, but at least they were solid. Once he's back to normal, I think we may try Addictions Salmon Bleu. Very few ingredients, no grain and great reviews for dogs prone to allergies and food sensitivities.

Old February 25th, 2012, 04:38 PM

Good news, I hope it continues!

(Aack, sorry about the pork )
Old February 27th, 2012, 10:22 AM
Senior Contributor

Glad you've found something that seems to be working. There's nothing worse than dealing with food allergies. I know it too.