Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old June 5th, 2006, 05:29 AM
Schnoodle lover

Cool anyone using Revolution treatment pros and cons?

Hi All I was wondering if anyone is using revolution heart worm flea and tick treatment .My dog was already done when i got him and im wondering if i should stay with it as it seems to work ok but what do i know! this is the first time i have used this product .Pros and cons I am looking for input thanks. Schnoodle lover
Old June 5th, 2006, 11:04 AM
Agility Addict

I am not a fan of revolution.

Its a spot on, but it is systemic. It stays in the dog's bloodstream all month and I don't want my dog to be carrying around pesticide in his body all month with no guarantee that it will ever disburse from the body before it has to be given again.
Old June 5th, 2006, 11:27 AM
Senior Contributor

We used topical Revolution last year on our Eskimo, but this year vet advised that current thinking was that if dog has double coat - Eskimo, Husky that type of dog where it is very difficult to clear a section of skin to allow proper application of treatment, that a chewable would be a safer bet with respect to heartworm. Of course this doesn't help with the flea treatment. Plan B would be to shave a spot on Eskie's neck every month - and then suffer through itching while fur regrew. We chose to go with chewable. Since topical had to be applied before bedtime, I would do my best to get a section of pink skin, and my guy has quite the double ruff of fur around neck, but then husband wouldn't be as ready as he said he was and then we would have to start again. He would get impatient as usual which would get Eskie antsy - so a nightmare. We did use Revolution though with no problems when we hard our short-haired pups.
Old June 5th, 2006, 12:46 PM
Performance Spaniels

Cider got revolution on June 1st. Haven't used it before. Don't know if I like it or not yet.
Old June 5th, 2006, 02:14 PM
Fish Guru - Formerly sneakypete79

I have used Revolution now for 4 years on my pets.
I previously used Advantage heres why I stopped:
When I moved in with my boyfriend, his parents had been
using Advantange on their cat and dog for years.
The cat, despite the treatments of advantage had a huge
flea colony on his back where he couldnt lick.
This was with monthly dosing of advantage!! Fleas in the hundreds!
The dog too, bathed him fleas came off in droves.
The problem with Advantage is, fleas become immune over several
generations to the pesticide in advantage. After a while it simply stops
working.

So Pros n Cons

Advantage - Isnt absorbed into body - Pro
Advantage - much cheaper than revolution - Pro
Advantage - fleas become Immune to the treatment - Con
Advantage - every time your dog gets wet, you have to repeat treatment, so no baths and no swimming during the month unless you can afford repeat treatments . BIG CON.
Advantage - Only kills fleas that come in direct physical contact with Advantage...Leaves all the rest in your home untouched - Con.

Revolution - absorbed by body - Con
Revolution - more expensive - Con
Revolution - Bath and Swim away! No Need to retreat! - Pro
Revolution - Fleas do not adapt and become immune to revolution -Pro
Revolution - Protects not just against fleas but against Heartworm and Ticks as well - PRO
Revolution - Not only kills the fleas on the animal, but the fleas carry it back to their hideouts, killing thousands of fleas around your house in one treatment - PRO.

Theres my experience.
As for the being absorbed into the body issue, while in some ways it is a con, there are many things environmentally that absorb into our and our pets bodies daily that are way harsher than Revolution - Pollution in air and water, toxic Dioxins from Mills and Factories everywhere in "beyond safe levels" throughout North America.
Cancerous Micro-waves from Cell phone towers, broadcasting towers, etc etc.
Power installations raise the rate of cancer by 25% in surrounding 3 mile radius.

All these things are more harmful to your and your pet than a Minute amount of Revolution absorbed into the body.
Ill stick with my Revolution.
Old June 6th, 2006, 05:37 AM
Schnoodle lover

Cool Re Revolution treatment pro and cons

Thanks alot for the advice i will take all of you comments and make a decission on this matter .As a tradeoff i am not to much worried about it being absorbed in to his body im sure if i follow the directions Benny will be just fine so again thanks for all the advice and the speedy replies as my little fur ball is going to the vet this week for second shots and micro chipping.
Old June 8th, 2006, 01:40 AM
Senior Contributor

Layla's on Revolution right now because she got mites from another dog at the park (fortunately the owner of the dog was nice enough to enform us when she found out, so that we could get our dogs checked out right away). I'm not sure if I like it or not. I don't think it is something I would use as a regular treatment for fleas, but since she is only getting two applications, I like it for this purpose.
Old June 8th, 2006, 06:00 PM

We use Revolution on the dog and cats. We like the fact that its topical, none of them are really good with taking pills and one of the cats actually throws it up when you aren't looking.

Revolution also helps kill any fleas that might have come into the house on you which is nice.

My dog has a double coat and its been working just fine for him. I should say that I pay attention when applying it and usually put it in two spots to provide the best absorption.
Old April 30th, 2014, 11:39 AM

Talking Revolution user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny Schnoodle View Post
Hi All I was wondering if anyone is using revolution heart worm flea and tick treatment .My dog was already done when i got him and im wondering if i should stay with it as it seems to work ok but what do i know! this is the first time i have used this product .Pros and cons I am looking for input thanks. Schnoodle lover
We used Revolution for our Golden Retriever last season and he didn't seem to have any side effects.