Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old January 21st, 2008, 10:13 PM
Senior Contributor

Peaches Update

Hello Everyone!

I was able to get Peaches seen at the vet today after suffering two fairly severe seizures last night. I chose a vet close by, and he seems to be a great choice - knows a lot about Peaches' condition and went out of his way to provide me with extra information, and even gave me a bit of a discount knowing I'm a student!

His thoughts after seeing the labwork previously done at the THS, are that Peaches likely is just epileptic and there are no underlying causes. That being said, he did come across something in the paperwork that I hadn't seen - it looks like Peaches was mainly an outdoor cat before he was surrendered to the THS so it was suggested that he be tested for some parasites that are known to cause seizures. The vet also thought we should re-do some of the lab work, since it was last done in August and with this recent increase in seizures, some of the results have likely changed. So he ran a panel of lab profiles, viral testing, parasites, and gave Peaches a Ivermectin injection.

He also gave me 2 months worth of Phenobarbital to start him on, but said it takes 2 -3 weeks to start affecting the cat so not to be suprised if Peaches has another seizure when he's on the meds. He also gave me Valium to give Peaches when he's having a seizure to calm him and help him come out of it easier.

I'll be taking him back in 3 weeks once the medication has taken effect to redo the lab work and see how his body is responding.

But the vet seems very positive that this can be controlled so I'm happy

Thanks to everyone that gave me advice on vets and Peaches' condition! I added a picture of Peaches super tired after his stressful day

-Megan
Attached Images

Old January 21st, 2008, 10:18 PM

Awwwwwwwwwwwwww. Cute Reminds me of our Pumpkin (last May) and our 8 month old Walter. I am glad Peaches is doing better. Sounds like you are getting a handle on things.

What parasites did the vet say cause seizures? I would like to know? Thanks.
Old January 21st, 2008, 10:36 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopymjm View Post

What parasites did the vet say cause seizures? I would like to know? Thanks.
Mainly those associated with tape worms. He also mentioned toxoplasmosis but said it's fairly rare and that we won't do testing for that unless lab results suggest it could be an issue.

There were a few others he mentioned that I forget...they're calling with the labwork tomorrow so I'll check!
Old January 21st, 2008, 11:56 PM
~Cat Servent~

Glad to hear it's all treatable... and what a sweetheart Peaches is... so handsome!

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” -Mahatma Gandhi

"We're the renegades, we're the people; With our own philosophies; We change the course of history; Everyday people like you and me"- R A T M
Old January 22nd, 2008, 12:18 AM

aww sweet Peaches

& lots of for good test results & many many seizure free days - glad it is treatable

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying

Vindication ~ For all those pets who became sick or lost their lives from tainted pet food
Old January 22nd, 2008, 12:08 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Awww poor, pooped out Peaches. Somebody let their epiletic cat outside unattended ?? Good thing Peaches is with you now.

Jasper, male Ragdoll ?? (approx 10 yrs)
Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 7 yrs)

Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old January 22nd, 2008, 12:21 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Good for you finding a good vet. Better for Peaches that you found one who will work with a student's budget!
It's great that he feels it's epilepsy that is causing the seizures. At least that's treatable.
Poor tuckered Peaches in the picture. Seizures take so much out of their little bodies. :sad: But a good long sleep sure seems to help. Keesha had one the other day (not severe) very shortly after I gave her a tiny bit of turkey bacon. No more of that for her!
Did you ask about getting the meds at a drug store once you have to start paying? Maybe if he is as good a vet as he sounds he won't charge you an exhorbitant amount though. for Peaches.
Old January 22nd, 2008, 12:34 PM
Remembering Lukka

Peaches I hope you get to the bottom of your troubles with this new vet that your mom chose. Good luck
Old January 22nd, 2008, 01:52 PM
-

Glad you found such a good vet and the seizures are treatable. Sending lots of good wishes for the rest of the lab results.
Old January 22nd, 2008, 03:02 PM
Senior Contributor

The vet just called and all of the bloodwork came back fine! There was a bit of an elevation in one of the liver levels but nothing that he is concerned about

He had his first dose of phenobarb this morning and seems fine! I'll be taking him back in in about a month or two to recheck the levels once the medication is in his system.

I did ask him about getting the medications at a pharmacy, but he said (and my dad confirmed) that it would be the same price there. He gave me two months worth and it's only $30 so it's definitley manageable!
Old January 22nd, 2008, 03:06 PM
-

WOO HOO for the lab results. And, what a relief for you.
Old January 22nd, 2008, 03:17 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Gotta love vets like that!!!!
Old January 22nd, 2008, 03:24 PM
Senior Contributor

I have a feeling that this vet does this a lot, based on their location since they're basically right on campus so I'm sure they get a lot of students in!

Another question: Are there any easy ways to get cats to take pills? lol
I'm able to get Peaches to swallow it but he's not a fan of being picked up yet so he was very squirmy when I gave him the first one this morning. I thought about hiding it in some wet food but it's a tiny pill, well half of a tiny pill so I'm afraid it'll get lost in there and he might not take it
Old January 22nd, 2008, 03:50 PM
proud to be a cat slave

You might want to try grounding it up and putting it in his food so that he eats it - a small amount of food so you can track it.

They also have new treats out - called Pill Poppers, or something ?? - that you can hide a pill in - my guy doesn't like treats, so it didn't work for you, but if Peaches likes them.. ?

Glad to hear he's on the mend, btw!

Jake - grey DSH (Aug '98) Alley - spazzy grey tabby (Aug '07)