Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Breed characteristics and traits > Breed bans - BSL - Pit Bull bans

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old October 6th, 2004, 04:41 PM
chico2's Avatar
chico2 chico2 is offline
Senior Contributor
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Oakville Ontario
Posts: 26,593
Angry Oakville BSL

I read in my local paper,The Oakville Beaver,that our council too is looking into banning pit-bulls.Of course they are saying they will look into other options first.
I live across the street from a large town-house complex,a lot of young people sharing and a lot of Pit-Bulls or crosses.
I personally know 3 pitties and they are wonderful,obedient,well trained dogs.
The owners had a visit from HS today...the young men take the dogs for long walks and play every day.But early morning and late at night,they let the dogs out no leash, one by one to run and do their business,while the owner is outside watching.Big Misstake!!! Never trust a dog(any dog)100%to come back if they see something to chase.
Apparently the next door neighbors cat was attacked,luckily he survived and it was not the pit-bulls that attacked,but their beautiful choclate Doberman.
In the townhouse their are 3 Pits and one Dobie.
The young men will be responsible for the vet-bills and are also charged with having dogs loose.Hopefully they have learned their lesson,they really love those dogs,I know and take very good care of them otherwise.
__________________
"The cruelest animal is the Human animal"
3 kitties,Rocky(r.i.p my boy),Chico,Vinnie
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old October 6th, 2004, 05:51 PM
heidiho's Avatar
heidiho heidiho is offline
Senior Contributor
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Maui,Hawaii
Posts: 4,348
So what about people that already own one??
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old October 6th, 2004, 09:11 PM
pitbulliest's Avatar
pitbulliest pitbulliest is offline
Love all creatures
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 557
Unless they decide to enforce the grandfather effect..then well, you'll have to get rid of your dogs..that's what will happen..

I don't understand how these municipalities can just say "oh well I think today sounds like a good day to ban pit bulls"..all of a sudden another city enforces BSL...just because they SAW yet another city doing it..my gosh its like a constant chain of idiocity...non stop moronicism!..HELLO?!

I swear, these people know nothing about these dogs...yet their constant answer is to BAN them..yeah just BAN THEM ALL..lets ban everything until we're all banned out...!!!!!!!!

ARGH *pulls hair out*
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old October 6th, 2004, 09:27 PM
chico2's Avatar
chico2 chico2 is offline
Senior Contributor
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Oakville Ontario
Posts: 26,593
Seeing the Windsors SPCA(HS)is overcrowded with pit-bulls dropped off by there owners since BSL became law now what????
I really have a hard time believing what is going on....it's just too cruel and inhumane.
It's going to trickle down to every town in Ontario,I've read everything I find about this,but still not really any answer,are all these unfortunate dogs going to be killed???
__________________
"The cruelest animal is the Human animal"
3 kitties,Rocky(r.i.p my boy),Chico,Vinnie
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old October 6th, 2004, 11:09 PM
Akeeter Akeeter is offline
banned user
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Ancaster, near Hamilton, Ont.
Posts: 381
Question I wonder if any Pro Pit Bull folks got their

opinions into the $400.00 a plate provincial Liberal schmooze last night?
I was hoping some dog people might be there & 'put a flea in somebodie's ear' about breed bans.

I really don't get it. They've had a anti-BSL submission from the Cdn Safety Council, who used to be Pro BSL, a submission from the CKC, & and the long term public health data from the 'States, who have had the longest history with BSL Should be telling them it won't work...So why isn't any of this getting thru to them? (IMHO, I still say it's Money, & Insurance Co.'s that are behind all this. That's exactly the way it happened in the U.S.) Or maybe pressure from the provincial government?

No, a municipality wouldn't ordinarily just decide "It's a good day to ban Pit Bulls." So something else is up here. Maybe the tab or re-newal time on the municipalitie's insurance for Park & Rec., Public Property etc.? A lot of things changed here (Hamilton region) after amalgamation. Activities were banned from parks, day camps couldn't do 'sleep over nights' anymore, all traced back to former towns being now under the City insurance company.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old October 7th, 2004, 09:00 AM
heidiho's Avatar
heidiho heidiho is offline
Senior Contributor
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Maui,Hawaii
Posts: 4,348
No way,so you would turn your dog in and what they put them down..??
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old October 7th, 2004, 09:11 AM
sammiec sammiec is offline
Senior Contributor
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 2,315
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinah
Nobody who owns a pitbull should pay any attention to BSL. It's so sad that so many people fall in line like dominoes when governments tell them to.
I am not aure what you mena by this comment. Anyone who owns a pit bull SHOULD pay attention to BSL! This crap will affect our beloved pets, what people are falling in line like dominos? Ther's nothing to "fall in line" for yet....

Quote:
Besides, how can any official decide what is or isn't a pitbull? If I had one, I'd simply say my dog was a boxer mix (or whatever).
An official can decide because they are given the power to. That about sums it up. Should they be given that power? I doubt it. But that's the goverment.

It's not so easy to lie about your dogs breed when it comes to stuff like this, if they're out to get you, that they will do. They will find the "experts" to testify if need be...
My dog was adopted as a "pit bull" my vet has her listed as a "pit bull". Who are we to say "Nope, I think you're wrong, let's call her a boxerX".
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old October 7th, 2004, 12:09 PM
Akeeter Akeeter is offline
banned user
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Ancaster, near Hamilton, Ont.
Posts: 381
Unhappy From what M. Bryant is saying 'You must Prove it Isn't a P.B.

(So much for being presumed innocent until proven guilty.I thought that was a given in our judicial system?)
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old October 7th, 2004, 12:24 PM
mastifflover's Avatar
mastifflover mastifflover is offline
Senior Contributor
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Toronto
Posts: 4,007
Well back at them prove it is a pit bull. Nobody would ever make me give up my dog that has done nothing wrong. But I bet if you said you will have to speak to my lawyer they would move on to the next person because I am sure that somewhrere in this law they are infringing on our rights. Is anybody on this site a lawyer or maybe has a friend or mate that is? These would be questions to pose to someone who deals with these issues. They are just thinking everybody is scared of our government. Luckily for us none of them usually get off their fat asses for anything except their cheques. If they had to acutally put up a fight with someone I bet a lot of them would back down pretty quick.
Dianah I dont understand what you are saying in one breath you are saying ignore BSL and in the next you say that pit owners are not doing enough please clarify your postion
__________________
Robin
A dog has so many friends because they wag their tails not their tongues.
R.I.P. Buddy 2002-2008 The best Mastiff ever.
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old October 7th, 2004, 12:26 PM
heidiho's Avatar
heidiho heidiho is offline
Senior Contributor
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Maui,Hawaii
Posts: 4,348
Can someone tell me,they would make you turn in your dog then what????
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old October 7th, 2004, 12:34 PM
sammiec sammiec is offline
Senior Contributor
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 2,315
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastifflover
Dianah I dont understand what you are saying in one breath you are saying ignore BSL and in the next you say that pit owners are not doing enough please clarify your postion
I second that. You're pretty quick to get up on the soap box and judge people, but you're hiding behind the fact that you don't own a pit bull. Put your money where your mouth is.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old October 7th, 2004, 12:41 PM
sammiec sammiec is offline
Senior Contributor
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 2,315
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinah
OK, what I mean is this. IF I owned a pitbull, I would ignore any BSL targetting pitbulls that gets passed. That means I would not surrender my dog, I would not muzzle him when walking him and I would not lie down and play dead if some "official" demanded I turn over my dog. If said "official" wanted to charge me, fine, I would vigorously fight such a discriminatory charge in court.

Regarding pitbull owners, with every other group from the homeless to you name it protesting loud and and being all over the media when they do so, I am VERY surprised and VERY disappointed not to see pitbull owners doing the same thing. I just cannot understand that, because if a BSL was being brought in targetting chows, I'd be on the news every night protesting that nonsense at Queen's Park.
I never said that I would give up my dog, nor put a muzzle on her, or anything that you're accusing us of. I wil NOT allow these people to have my dog. No ifs, ands, or butts about it. You seem to think that everyone is just going along with this with their tails between their legs... do you read any of the information that I had posted in that link? I doubt it.

Every group from the homeless to you name it has had rallies and protests, but how many of them do you remember? How many of them got POSITIVE media attention?? Not too many I don't think.... you're just going to stay up on that soap box and tell others what to do...
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old October 7th, 2004, 12:44 PM
heidiho's Avatar
heidiho heidiho is offline
Senior Contributor
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Maui,Hawaii
Posts: 4,348
HELLO!! So they are just gonna gather all the dogs and put them to sleep??????
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old October 7th, 2004, 12:48 PM
sammiec sammiec is offline
Senior Contributor
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 2,315
Quote:
Originally Posted by heidiho
HELLO!! So they are just gonna gather all the dogs and put them to sleep??????
There are many ways they can handle it Heidi. hey can put a clause to "grandfather" the existing pit bulls if they are tagged, microchipped, and have 1 million dollars of insurance covering them. They can call for a "deadline" for which the dogs must be removed from the city limits. Those are a couple of choices. I assume they will go with the grandfathering of the dogs. Once the dogs pass away you cannot "replace" them with a new one.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old October 7th, 2004, 01:00 PM
heidiho's Avatar
heidiho heidiho is offline
Senior Contributor
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Maui,Hawaii
Posts: 4,348
This is the craziest thing i have ever heard,i cant believe that could ever happen................
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old October 7th, 2004, 01:08 PM
Writing4Fun's Avatar
Writing4Fun Writing4Fun is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 2,421
Can you say "gun registry"? It will cost a fortune to enforce, it will be a logistical nightmare, and in the end they (the government) will have to admit they're wrong and repeal the whole mess. Unfortunately, there will also be countless dogs destroyed or families rehomed because of this idiocy. I don't agree with everything Dinah has said or the way she said it, but I do feel extremely frustrated and helpless, sitting idly by watching it all happen from the sidelines - and I don't even own a Pit Bull!

Dinah, you want to know why a protest isn't being organized? Because this is a protest about dogs. You may show up without your dog, and everyone on this board may do the same, but I can guarantee you that a handful of moronic Pit Bull owners (the same ones whose dogs are making headlines) will ignore requests and bring their dogs anyway. Then, with the massive media attention an event like this would surely bring, two or more of those moronic owners will lose control of their badly behaved Pitties and all hell will break loose, right in front of the massive media assembly. Does that answer your question?
__________________
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, because you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup. - Dilbert
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old October 7th, 2004, 01:14 PM
sammiec sammiec is offline
Senior Contributor
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 2,315
Not to mention, pit bulls have a tendency to be dog aggressive. Having a bunch of dogs in close quaters like this, ANYTHING can aspark a fight - two males that are normally quite well behaved might get into it because of the wind blowing! The slightest thing can upset them... it's a disaster waiting to happen, and I for one and not willing to put my pet in that position. Sorry if that's not good enough.

And W4f, you're completely right, I have brought up that point before. They will not be able to put out the money for this bylaw/ban/ registration... there's too much at stake.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old October 7th, 2004, 01:24 PM
Writing4Fun's Avatar
Writing4Fun Writing4Fun is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 2,421
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammiec
The slightest thing can upset them... it's a disaster waiting to happen...
Right, Sammie. That's what I meant (sorry). We can all leave our dogs at home for the protest, but all it would take is for two people to show up with their dogs, and the media would have their next front page headline.
__________________
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, because you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup. - Dilbert
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old October 7th, 2004, 01:25 PM
sammiec sammiec is offline
Senior Contributor
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 2,315
Quote:
Originally Posted by Writing4Fun
Right, Sammie. That's what I meant (sorry). We can all leave our dogs at home for the protest, but all it would take is for two people to show up with their dogs, and the media would have their next front page headline.
No problem! You're right, and that's a very good post!
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old October 7th, 2004, 01:36 PM
mastifflover's Avatar
mastifflover mastifflover is offline
Senior Contributor
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Toronto
Posts: 4,007
Writing4fun I have mentioned that as well gun registry didn't you see the line up of criminals waiting to register their guns? The same ones that own pit bulls will be in the front of that line too. Also the government has no money to enforce are feeble laws to protect the animals from abuse and neglect how will they come up with the money to enforce this I guess it will be coming out of Michael Bryants cheque because they wont get one red cent from me or I imagine any dog owners.
__________________
Robin
A dog has so many friends because they wag their tails not their tongues.
R.I.P. Buddy 2002-2008 The best Mastiff ever.
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old October 7th, 2004, 02:03 PM
Writing4Fun's Avatar
Writing4Fun Writing4Fun is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 2,421
Oops! I did it again. Sorry for plaigiarising other people's posts! I guess you made enough of an impact on me that I want to repeat it!

Don't worry. They'll find a way to come up with the money, because in their view, it's not to protect the animals but rather to protect the people. Watch what happens next time the driver's licence renewals are increased or income tax goes up. When the politicians tell everyone it's because the police forces need more money, now you'll know exactly why they need it!
__________________
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, because you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup. - Dilbert
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old October 7th, 2004, 02:55 PM
mastifflover's Avatar
mastifflover mastifflover is offline
Senior Contributor
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Toronto
Posts: 4,007
Oh it wasnt about plagerizing if something I wrote had an effect on someone that is a good thing and we are all here (almost all of us)for the same reason we love our pets and dont want irresponsible owners ruining it for us. But the government has made no mention on how they will pay for it and how they will pay the investigators to enforce it. Amazing the government doesn't think before they act. If they only put this much effort into housing the homeless
__________________
Robin
A dog has so many friends because they wag their tails not their tongues.
R.I.P. Buddy 2002-2008 The best Mastiff ever.
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Terms of Use

  • All Bulletin Board Posts are for personal/non-commercial use only.
  • Self-promotion and/or promotion in general is prohibited.
  • Debate is healthy but profane and deliberately rude posts will be deleted.
  • Posters not following the rules will be banned at the Admins' discretion.
  • Read the Full Forum Rules

Forum Details

  • Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
    vBulletin Optimisation by vB Optimise (Reduced on this page: MySQL 10.00%).
  • All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:06 AM.