Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old October 5th, 2004, 06:35 PM

my little pee-head!

Hello. I have a beautiful little shih-tzu who just turned one in September. He has been housetrained for months. In fact, he has not had an accident since June (when I was sick and didn't take him outside for too long--my fault). He is an awesome dog and has been a dream to train. Now, for some reason, he has started to pee on my floor. He just pees! And he peed on my couch on Saturday night. Mistakenly, I only used the crate when I was housetraining him and now he hates it. He only goes in it to chill out and play with his toys or chew his bone but he FREAKS OUT if I close the door I am not sure what to do, but this is what I have been doing lately:

- back to taking him outside every couple of hours
- when he pees outside, I tell him "good boy" and sometimes give him a treat
- reward him when he rings his bell to be let out (he's been pretty good at that until recently)

He stays with my neighbours, a retired couple, during the day when I am at work and he does NOT pee at their place It seems that he saves that behaviour for me!

Any advice?
Old October 5th, 2004, 09:39 PM

Another bell-ringer! Welcome to the club!

I would suggest you first take him to the vet to make sure there's nothing physically wrong. He might not be peeing at the neighbors' for a variety of reasons (they take him out more often, he's too "shy", etc...). If he's physically okay, then you're doing the right thing by going back to basics. I've heard of dogs going through fear stages (where they suddenly become irrationally afraid of something that would otherwise be perfectly normal to them). Is he maybe peeing submissively? Just a thought.
Old October 6th, 2004, 07:59 PM

Thanks

No, I don't think he is peeing submissively...he just walks away and pees. It's so shocking to me, after so many months of being seemingly completely housetrained. He often pees when he is excited...but he has not ever done that in the house until recently. For example, when I have him on his lead in our backyard and he sees his friend Butch in the neighbour's yard, he sometimes gets so excited that he pees....but recently he has just been spontaneously peeing in the house. I *have* gone back to basics and now I watch him like a hawk and take him out much more often so he has more opporunities for success. I just can't believe that he's doing it and I'm hoping and hoping that nothing is wrong with him physically or emotionally.
Old October 7th, 2004, 05:14 PM
Senior Contributor

I say a trip to the vet too. Have you gotten any new pets, or anything like that?
Old October 11th, 2004, 06:05 PM

No, I don't have any new pets. And he is doing it all the time now, unless I catch him. We went to th the vet and the vet confirmed that there are no physical problems. I took my dog to my sister's this weekend and he tried to pee repeatedly in her house. I am back to taking him outside all of the time now. I am convinced he is trying to tell me something (flakey, I know!) because he does not do this when he does to my neighbour's during the day. I am just so confused
Old October 22nd, 2004, 07:52 PM
Senior Contributor

Is your little fur kid fixed? I would also try a belly band on him. It helps with the house breaking. It goes around him and over the pee maker. Doesn't hurt him, just makes him a little uncomfortable. Kinds like a mini diaper. Good luck. Maybe he has seperation issues now? Maybe the little is trying to tell you he missed you. Who know what goes on in their little heads. My liitle Shih Tzu pees on my bed when she get mad at me. So I put up a baby gate to keep her out of there when I am not home.