Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Introduce yourself here - Say hello

Old November 20th, 2011, 07:28 PM

Hi from barbp

Hello all-I found this site last night while perusing the web for some antibiotic issues with my cats. Very impressed with site.

I am from Long Island, New York USA and have gotten involved with trap neuter and return programs since 1999. The big news currently and we hope it will continue, is the local government has decided it is cheaper to do TNR than to collect and kill the cats that live outdoors. And also law suits from folks whose pets were euthanized during such round-ups.

So I am now doing about 6 cats per week for folks that request my help in getting the cats they feed, trapped and transported to the shelter vet for surgery and the recuperated afterwards.

Be very interested to learn about other programs of TNR. Long Island (LI) does not have real bad (cold and deep snow) weather and not too many foxes etc in most areas so the cats are really at danger from humans and cars.
Old November 20th, 2011, 07:35 PM
Senior Contributor

Hi barbp, and welcome to pets.ca! You sound like an amazing person, helping so many kitties with a TNR program. Kudos to you! I'm a big supporter of TNR and have trapped a few cats over the past couple years. Most turned out to be friendly and adoptable once they were safely indoors, but there are a couple true ferals that I continue to feed from the feeding station I set up in my backyard (now neutered, of course). Looking forward to hearing more about your work....

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old November 21st, 2011, 08:24 AM
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Welcome to the board, barbp!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old November 21st, 2011, 05:44 PM
Kitty pimp

wow a township in the usa actualy enlightend can y'all talk to my city They seem to think if you dont feed em they will go away is illegal to feed strays here