Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old November 17th, 2011, 03:00 PM

Bad Manners

I have had my 1.5 year old black lab for just over 6 months (adopted from the SPCA). I did not take him to the dog park at first, because I was not sure how he would behave with other dogs. After about 2 months, I decided to take him. He was doing great and playing well with other dogs. However, over the past couple of weeks, I have noticed some problem behaviours, and I was wondering if anyone has suggestions for how to correct them. His behaviours seem normal, however they are amplified to the point that they are causing problems. He absolutely loves chasing other dogs. However, the other dogs do not always feel the same way about him chasing them. He is also very fast and can easily catch up to most dogs. As soon as he catches them, he puts his mouth on them (never bites down). He also has this deep growl and bark that have started to become a more common occurence as of late. So basically he will chase the other dog, and when he catches them he will growl and bark at them. If the other dog does not respond to his attempts to play, he barks at them. I do not want to return to the dog park until I have found a way to deal with this problem, because he makes some of the other dogs and owners nervous. I know that he is just trying to play, but he is not doing it appropriately. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old November 17th, 2011, 04:08 PM
Senior Contributor

Welcome FionaBeth. Thank you for rescuing your pup. I'm not going to try to offer you advice, I don't go to dog parks with my dog because she really doesn't do well in a group setting, but I'm sure someone will come along with advice for you. I'm sure there's a solution and patience will help you with it. Good luck, and we love pics.
Old November 17th, 2011, 05:20 PM

Fionabeth, I don't do dogparks either but a good way to start socializing your dog is to arrange a play session with a well behaved, stable older dog. Once your dog is fine with one, try two and so on. Keep it to small controled play groups until both of you feel confidant to go to the dog park. Also, once you do start going back, give your dog a really good walk before entering the park. This will help him work off some of his ya-yas and he might not be so frantic with the other dogs. Good luck!
Old November 17th, 2011, 05:29 PM
Senior Contributor

#1 thing to do is to master your recall.
Dog parks are not really ideal. Your dog is showing signs of dominence and also obnoxious behaviour which could escalate if another dog challenges.
Incidents happen in DPs. Just a fact. No matter how well disciplined a dog is, accidents can happen when owners do not have control over their dogs.
So - ensure that you dog is respecting you first and foremost. Work on leash training and recall. The dog should focus on you before you entrust amongst other dogs.
Old November 17th, 2011, 07:44 PM

Thank you very much for the advice. I really like the suggestion given for socializing him starting out with one dog, as well as the suggestion for giving him a walk before entering the dog park. I will also definitely spend more time working on his leash training and recall. Thanks!! I will be staying away from the dog park for (at least) awhile until I can get his manners in check.

Last edited by FionaBeth; November 17th, 2011 at 08:06 PM.