Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum

Old October 4th, 2004, 04:50 PM

Pink Floyd- Dark side of the moon

This is kind of random, but i thought i would ask anyway I was just on google looking up the meaning of "dark side of the moon" (i LOVE pink Floyd, and that is my Favourtie CD!!) and alot of people seem to have different opinions. Most people say that its meaning is about life, and others say its all connected to the Wizard of Oz and there are alot of other meanings mentioned. I personally think its about life, and death. Id love to here anyone elses opinions on The dark side of the moon's meaning, or on just individual songs on the CD!!
Old October 4th, 2004, 05:09 PM
Senior Contributor

as a boring old scientist and just and boring person in general i would like to point out the actual physical meaning of that term, ie being the darker side of the moon that is not reflecting light and the sun.

so maybe that is a reflection of a personality (maybe writer of the songs) with a dark side that is not reflecting light or happiness, sort of like 2 faces. yeah well i jsut thougth that one up so dont laugh ok
(i actually cant stand pink floyd, very boring to me and not very good music but still i love words and meanings so i had to answer you)

what are the wiz of oz references??
Old October 4th, 2004, 05:18 PM

you cant stand pink floyd hey, we all have our own opinions. heres a link to the site comparing Dark side of the moon, and The wizard of oz

http://www.everwonder.com/david/wizardofoz/
Old October 4th, 2004, 05:42 PM
Crusader

good stuff Meggie thanks for sharing! i always knew about the Wiz of Oz connection but was too lazy to find out.. but you made it easy and really interesting for me! thanks... i've always loved hidden easter egg's!

PS: you'd have to excuse my buddy Melanie LMAO.. she was brought up by wild kangaroos and koalas in the Aussie outback, with no shoes hehehe..

PSx2ont worry guys a little known fact about Melanie that you may not know of! she's really a University Scientist and she knows i'm kidding.. so dont get the wrong idea
Old October 4th, 2004, 05:59 PM
Senior Contributor

well i never liked floyd, i just always thought their miusic was overrated, but i come from a family of pink floyd lovers so they might have had something to do with it, hey it is not cool to like your parents music ok, so i probably just formed a dislike due to dads like if you can understand that, stupid teenager stuff

and i was not raised by roos or koalas, i was raised by a feral dingo and a tick infested bandicoot up in the mulga scrub thank you very much, sheesh get it right 'ya flamin drongo'
Old October 4th, 2004, 06:05 PM
Crusader

Quote:
Originally Posted by melanie
well i never liked floyd, i just always thought their miusic was overrated.

and i was not raised by roos or koalas, i was raised by a feral dingo and a tick infested bandicoot up in the mulga scrub thank you very much, sheesh get it right 'ya flamin drongo'
umm as for the music okay maybeeee you were brain washed lol..

atlease you got the drongo bit right LOL.. umm as for mulga scrub? what's that some kinda shampoo? and bandicoot?

all i can say to that is .. (said loud and slowly) DOOO YOUUUUU SPEAKKKKK ENGLISHHHHH
LOL

as for Pink Floyd i love it ;0 i have "THE WALL" dvd!
my fav song is Young Lust!
Old October 4th, 2004, 06:29 PM

You guys are cracking me up!

Knight, have I ever told you that I giggle every time I see your screen name? Do you watch the Simpsons? Ever see that episode where Bart and Millhouse replace the hymnals with sheet music for Ina Godda Davida? The priest gets up and says, "OK, our next hymn is 'In The Garden of Eden' by I. Ron Butterfly". So every time I see your screen name, I'm reading it as "I. Ron Knight"! Sorry for straying off-topic there for a bit...
Old October 4th, 2004, 06:38 PM
Senior Contributor

yes a simpsons reference, i loved that episode, the bit where the old lady playing organ goes off, just hilarious (now im singing it).

your a fool mr knight, mulga is a type of stringy scrubby tree/bush. there are vast amounts of land that contain nothing but sand and mulga trees with the odd drongo cruising through.

and a bandicoot is a small marsupial looks a bit like a fat possum, they are the natural host of tick in australia, there you go ya drongo in plain english to, so get that up ya. lol

and brain washed, i dont think so, i think it was just good taste developed at a young age .
Old October 4th, 2004, 08:57 PM

Oh, so if its not to like your parents music, i must be a really big loser, because my dad loves Pink Floyd too (and i also grew up listening to it)

And i just watched the Wizard of oz with the dark side of the moon, its kind of freaky how it all matches up
Old October 4th, 2004, 09:08 PM

OK, how lucky are you all that your parents like Pink Floyd?! My dad is into the Big Band and Swing kind of stuff (which is kinda cool), and Mom loves Tom Jones and Englebert Humperdink!

That site about Oz was really freaky - in a good way! I never knew that - had never even heard rumors. Thanks for that!
Old October 5th, 2004, 02:13 AM
Crusader

lol umm Writing4Fun sadly i missed that episode of Simpsons..but i look at the simpson's every day.... i also got the "Futurama" collection.. and i can see myself as Bender!

thanks for explaing those bit's melanie.. i'll be sure to remember it (yeah right) LOL...

We should start a Thread about what Kinda Music our mom's like!
my mom is one of the biggest "Queens" Fan..still..
She also likes Pink Floyd hey she did buy me the "Dark Side Of the Moon" cd a really LONGGG time ago!
Old October 5th, 2004, 05:35 AM

Music

I have listened to pink floyd as i like rock music my favourite i have to agree isis another brick in the wall reminds me of my school days i hated school!
My favourite song of all time is Guns and Roses sweet child of mine just because it has alot of memory of rebeled youth!!
The song which means alot to me is Always by bon jovi as we had that played for our wedding song i did want a rock song but decided we needed a slow dance!
Old October 5th, 2004, 09:24 AM
Senior Contributor

Hubby and I are 60-61yrs old for hubbies 60th BD he got the best present ever,a collection CD including the Wall,to him the best present he ever got
Queen is also right up there among his favourites!!
I love everything except RAP!!! Oh,the horror of that noise
Old October 5th, 2004, 09:38 AM

Hey, at least Rap requires some sort of rythm and talent (not that I'm a fan or anything). My 15-yr-old nephew listens to Punk and (shudder) Scream. Scream is just that ... a bunch of lunatics screaming at the audience. At least I can rest assured that none of these people will be making "music" in 5 years time, with all the damage they're doing to their vocal cords!

Mel, my parents didn't influence my unappreciation (not quite as strong as "hatred") of Floyd - that distinction goes to my three older brothers. Their favorite sport was using my and my sister's dolls to enact various Alice Cooper songs.
Old October 5th, 2004, 03:08 PM

lol at acting out alice coopers songs

My dad was a fan of alice cooper when he used to come on tely as a kid i would scream and hide lol!!
Old October 5th, 2004, 03:16 PM

Wrong show!

I almost had a coronary when he was on The Muppet Show, singing "Welcome To My Nightmare" with a bunch of monsters! I think it was a Hallowe'en episode.
Old October 8th, 2004, 03:45 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by meggie1425
This is kind of random, but i thought i would ask anyway I was just on google looking up the meaning of "dark side of the moon" (i LOVE pink Floyd, and that is my Favourtie CD!!) and alot of people seem to have different opinions. Most people say that its meaning is about life, and others say its all connected to the Wizard of Oz and there are alot of other meanings mentioned. I personally think its about life, and death. Id love to here anyone elses opinions on The dark side of the moon's meaning, or on just individual songs on the CD!!
I agree with you its about life. As an absolute Pink Floyd nut , Have all thier works on vynil and CD and seen them live a few times still wear the T shirts My all time fav track is comfortably numb from the wall and heyyyyyyy Listen to the album animals dogs on there is pretty awsome and gives a good musical insight