Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old October 29th, 2011, 12:03 PM

Home care for mange

Any advice or shared experience would be appreciated.
Short history,
I have a 3 1/2 month old female Shep/lab who recovered from Parvo after a week in the vet's. A week later she was diagnosed and treated for Pneumonia. We waited three weeks before getting her the frst round of vaccinations and heart worm medication. About a week after her shots she has been diagnosed with Mange. The vet took skin scrapings and confirmed it is Demodectic Mange. Thinking back, she seemed to always be scratching. I was concerned about fleas yet none were ever found. The vet says her immune system is weak from the parvo which has allowed the mange to start up. She was given the first shot (I don’t remember the drug’s name) and prescribed an antibiotic, Clavaseptin . I follow up with the vet this week to evaluate her situation and the medical course of action.
I have very little instructions on what to do until the next visit, I was advised to shampoo her “more than once a week, and rub the sores “ which appear to be blister like around her face and pimple like on the inside of her hind legs.
Does anyone know,
Can / should I bath every day, every other day?
Any natural paths I can take?
I was told that apple cider vinegar may help and doesn’t hurt. Kelp, garlic will aid in her rebuilding the immune system. The vet told me to stop administering Benadryl to her.
Please, I'm really bummed about this. Watching the little pup try to cope is difficult. Any adivce or suggestions would be great.
Thanks in advance.
Old October 29th, 2011, 04:52 PM

Maybe I'm not wording it properly or not asking the right questions... Is there no one out there that has dealt with mange? If there is, what did you do? I was told to bath the pup and rub the scabs/ blisters. Are they suppose to fall off? If so, what's next, does fluid / puss run? What do I do if it does? How often did you wash the dog? Are you suppose to wash the dog?
I vacuum all area's which the pup uses and empty the container daily. Is there any other house cleaning which I need to do?
Anyone?
Old October 29th, 2011, 04:56 PM

According to what I am reading, you just posted this question this morning! Do be patient!

here's a thread that has all sorts of ideas for you:
http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...reatments.html
Old October 29th, 2011, 09:47 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

What type of shampoo did your vet recommend, ohyasayswho? We adopted a rescue dog with demodex mange but it was caught early and never got very extensive. We treated the affected areas with Goodwinol ointment and gave her an omega-3/omega-6 mix supplement to boost her immune system. We also tried to keep her stress to a minimum since stress can have a negative effect on the immune system.

She only got a few scabs but there was never any pus. Just hairless areas that were slightly pink--and no itching.

You don't need to do any extra cleaning. This is an immune function disease, not a cleanliness issue. As I understand it, almost all dogs have the mites--they get them from their mothers--but only those dogs with compromised immune systems (usually puppies) ever develop mange from them. Once she recovers from it, she should be good for life--recurrences are very rare.

When does the vet want to do the next scraping?

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old October 29th, 2011, 10:36 PM

Maxalisa, thank you... there is some good information in that thread.

Hazelrunpack, I bought a shampoo with aloe and oatmeal in it at the vet's a few weeks ago when we checked for fleas called Vet-link. As for the stress, I completely agree which leads me to the bathing issue.Didn't take her long to figure out the bath tub held nothing good for her, it freaks her out quite a bit. Offering dog cookies help somewhat though.
Luna, the pup will be re-examined on Wednesday. I will ask the vet about the
Goodwinol ointment and research it more throughly.

I understand the need to strengthen her immune system....I have found quite a bit of infomation yet have not been able to sort it all out and decide which path to take. The vet suggested a Multi vitamin, she gets it twice a day. They suggested a dry food which is very expensive (3 times the cost, half the amount of what I feed her now- Fromm's fwiw). After Luna's two previous health concerns money is a little tight and would rather not buy the vet's food as yet.

In hindsight, I wish I knew that the Parvo would kick the hell out of her immune system, oh well, the past is done...trying to give and keep her comfortable, healthy and happy now.
Thanks for your experience and help.
Old October 30th, 2011, 08:28 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Honestly, I think I'd discontinue the baths. Frequent bathing will dry her skin and aloe and oatmeal are good for soothing itchy skin, but probably won't do a whole lot for mange.

Any good quality food will do--most vet foods have too much corn and filler in it. You might want to find a food with reduced or no grain, and I'd avoid anything that has corn in it to see if that helps with the itching. There may be a bit of a food intolerance going on since you say she's been a bit itchy from the get-go.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old October 31st, 2011, 11:24 AM

I really didn't want to bathe often anyways, it stressed her out. I was trying to follow the vet's suggestion however, it seemed unclear with little to no actual direction. So I came to this forum.
I researched some and found a home made solution which if nothing else may help with the itch. It also allows me to rub the scabs / pimples as directed. Lemon, witch hazel and apple cider vineger. I've dabbed it on last night and will do so today.

The diet is another question I may need ask about and look into though I have a concern that a diet change may be stressful in of itself. Her G.I. track just fought Parvo.

The vet offered a liquid solution which is typically given to cats to aid in rebuilding immune systems, something to think about. Luna does take a vitamin biotic power still as well as a muli-vitamin since last week.

I have had some difficulty finding out what an actual RAW diet is. I am curious for many reasons, one being that if I can prepeare one which is cost effective to a quality dry food I'd atleast try it. Anyone have a link which spells out ingedents, amounts and such?
Old October 31st, 2011, 03:12 PM
Senior Contributor

I have dealt with mange for several dogs I had in foster.
Never mind the baths, home remedies and home ideas for food.
See the vet and get the proper medication to deal with this issue.
Too many people believe in home remedies, and depending on the severity of mange, chances of it working is next to none and may actually make things worse.
Also, if you feel that there is no progress based on vet recommendations, consult with another vet. Screen your vets and the experiences that they have had with mange.
Good luck and speedy recovery for your pup.