Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old October 3rd, 2004, 09:19 PM
Senior Contributor

Cat - Dilemma

There's this kitten in my neighbourhood, always running free. He belongs to a woman across the street. I believe she has several foster kids, anyway it is a busy house.
So the first time I took the kitten back, after wandering around knocking on doors, I suggested she might want to get him neutered and the next day dropped off some info on the bond foundation (www.bondspayneuter.com). She didn't seem all that interested but I thought, what the h***, it's a great deal.
Well, he wandered in tonight and his eyes are so infected they are sunk into his little head and he can hardly open them. He is really suffering. Luckily, I had some leftover eye ointment from the vet and may have been able to give him some short-term relief.
Here's the deal. If I take him back again and even suggest a trip to the vet, I know that she will take it as criticism. And because she has so much going on and seems a bit laissez-faire to begin with, I'm not convinced this cat is going to get treated. They also just got a puppy, which is really too bad.
What to do? Take him to the vet, get the treatment, present it to her, then hope that she'll follow the schedule? Keep the cat? - I really don't want him, two is my tipping point.
I'm throwing myself on your collective wisdom here.
Old October 3rd, 2004, 09:27 PM
Senior Contributor

My personal opinion - a sick kitten who is left to wander the streets, intact and untreated with medication is abandoned, and I would keep him and adopt him out. He is not going to live very long anyway.
Old October 3rd, 2004, 09:28 PM
banned user

I'd wait and see. If she puts up flyers or comes knocking...
give her the kitten. If not keep it & find it a new home.
Old October 3rd, 2004, 09:32 PM

If you think it's an issue of animal cruelty you can report her, I guess (can you do it anonymously? If not, I don't know if you want to have that kind of animosity with your neighbour...) Keeping the cat doesn't seem that easy to do -- won't she know that you've taken her cat? I think you've already done your best with this situation and beyond reporting animal cruelty, your job there might be done. It's one thing for people to be blasting each other on line, but this is someone you live near to...

I might be unpopular with this opinion. I just don't know if you can accomplish much by harassing the owner (again, unless you report her), but I'm sure you will make an enemy, which could cause various unpleasant consequences.
Old October 3rd, 2004, 09:32 PM
banned user

There must be a sign up somewhere that only needy cats can read.....follow this road to Badger's :0)
Old October 3rd, 2004, 09:41 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
If you think it's an issue of animal cruelty you can report her
This might accomplish something in other parts of the world, but not in Montreal. The SPCA will NOT come unless the animal is confined. If it is, they may come and get it, but since it's sick it will be killed. If it's left on the street, it will die also.

I'm afraid the only help this kitten will get must come from Badger, who has certainly done more than her share to help cats.

Around here, cats running loose and off their property are considered to be strays, and anyone may trap or take them.
Old October 3rd, 2004, 11:11 PM
Senior Contributor

You're right, Moon, if he didn't have this infection I would just have taken him back. Up to now, I have felt no impulse to keep him or interfere in any way, other than passing along a bit of information. There are a number of cats around here who spend the day outside when the weather is fine. I know pretty much where they all live and they are all generally well fed and cared for (I guess some would disagree).

But this little guy is so miserable, something has to be done immediately. I'm not good at confrontation; if I took him back tonight, I would have to push her to do something and she may or may not acept my advice. In a way, keeping him is the coward's way out. Maybe after he has seen the vet, I will take him over and lie, say I had this medicine on hand and it should be given so many times a day, etc.

Or maybe I'll just keep him....
Old October 3rd, 2004, 11:19 PM

Badger, whatever you do, it's more than almost anyone else would! You've got a kind heart and I guess the cats must sense that and gravitate towards you! I'm sorry that reporting cruelty doesn't do much in Montreal -- I now recall reading a thread about that earlier. Anyway, that kitty is lucky to have met you!!!
Old October 3rd, 2004, 11:35 PM
banned user

Badger

Why is the kitten running all over the neighbourhood? Does
this woman own it or is it a stray she is just feeding?
Old October 3rd, 2004, 11:47 PM
Senior Contributor

No, I'm pretty sure she went out and got it as a small kitten. He's a soft grey tabby with medium to long hair and he's always brushed. She told me that she thought the cat had a right to run around outside, which I can hardly disagree with, since I let my own cats out, but never if I am away from home. If I adopted a kitten, however, I would probably keep it inside; they are so goofy...

I just think she's got her hands full. And now a puppy! It's not deliberate cruelty, which I think is the case in most pet situations gone wrong, just a failure to think things through, such as, do I have the energy for this, do I have the money, who is ultimately responsible for this animal? We seem to expect animals to take care of themselves. This illusion in its most abusive form is the abandonment of animals when people move; they ACTUALLY think the animal will be OK, especially cats, as if they will revert back to some blissful wild state. Ain't gonna happen!
Old October 4th, 2004, 12:05 AM
banned user

Seriously what a dilemma...

How about you keep the kitten for 3 days, in the kitty hotel (your bathroom) just in case it's rhino or something.
Treat it with the ointment you have & hopefully it will improve...then give it back. This should be long enough to scare her into keeping a closer eye on the little fluffball.

How old do you think the kitten is? This might make me change my mind...
Old October 4th, 2004, 01:09 AM
~Cat Servent~

Badger (oops), I really feel for you...I have a housefull right now that I know I shouldn't (for my health-asthma/allergies)... but when I saw Buddy had a similar situation to this poor kitten I just couldn't say no. It makes me so angry when people do not fully understand the responsibility of having a domesticated pet... and I feel so sad and helpless that I can't save them all. I am getting to a point (wheezing, shortness of breath) where I know that I can't keep these rescued kittens in my home much longer either, and although I really wanted to be assured that they found good homes, I may have to hand them off to Animal Assistance and PetSmart and just pray that they are adopted out to loving and responsible families. I know that I feel better, that by taking them in I have at least increased their odds of living long and happy lives.
As for this new kitten of yours, you'll just have to decide how much you can sacrifice, how much of yourself you have to give...because we have to keep some for ourselves. Maybe you could just keep it for a while and then find an adoption group to help you find it a home/ take care of vet visits And if you think that this animal has been neglected I would try to report it to someone....I am keeping a close eye on some neighbours here as well for similar dereliction of duties! Chances are that if this lady can't take care of a cat...that dog will not be much better off.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” -Mahatma Gandhi

"We're the renegades, we're the people; With our own philosophies; We change the course of history; Everyday people like you and me"- R A T M
Old October 4th, 2004, 01:19 AM
Senior Contributor

I really don't want to make trouble for this woman because I don't think the situation warrants it and in any case, as LR has already pointed out, the SPCA will only respond in extreme circumstances. But I do want this kitten - he is maybe 4-5 months old - treated. So I'll take him to the vet and start treatment (you should see his eyes - when you pry open his eyelids, it is just all red, in one eye I literally cannot find the eyeball, the surrounding tissue is so inflamed. How could she let it get so bad?). After that, we'll see. One minute I think she deserves another chance and the next I'm saying hell no...
Wait till tomorrow, always a good plan.
Old October 4th, 2004, 01:28 AM
banned user

Ok...changed my mind.

If the kitten is only 4-5 months old it shouldn't be running
around outside. And what I thought were a few crusties are
way worse than I thought. I wouldn't give it back Badger...
This is not just overwhelmed...but more like neglect.
If you have to pry it's eyes open...there is no way she could have missed it.
Old October 4th, 2004, 01:30 AM
Senior Contributor

Mmmm, just noticed you're in Montreal. Any cats? I'm shameless!
Just noticed you have twin kittens. Ok, you're off the hook.
Old October 4th, 2004, 01:34 AM
banned user

Badger I have 2 kittens (5 months) and in all honesty I'm
a bigger suck than you are & I had the same thought.

Check your private messages
Old October 4th, 2004, 11:55 AM
Vicky K

Cool

Man do i dislike humans some times! Our animals rely on us to take care of them and how anyone can ignore problems or even not notice their cat is suffering is beyond me!!!

You can pick up some polysporin for the cats eyes. That will heal any infection ( when i saved my cat from this horrible farm, his eyes were crusted shut cause his infection was so bad, and polysporin is a good for just about anything for animals from hot spot to eye infections)

P.s. If I were you I would go out and buy some poly and treat the cat, then tell your neighboor (in a polite fashion of course) what you did. Maybe, just maybe, she will get embarrased by her negligence and take better care, doubt it but worth a shot.
Old October 4th, 2004, 04:37 PM
Senior Contributor

Badger,in all honesty when it comes to the care or neglect of animals,I really do not care if the neighbor is not going to like me,believe me,to my husbands horror it's happened often.
The animals,in this case a little kitten,cannot fend for himself,should definetly not be running around outside.....and should be treated for his bad eyes.
I'd say go ahead,do what you can for the kitten,since the lady already has her hands full,she probably would be relieved if the kitten did not come back.
Anyways,your bathrooms is once again open for business,right
Old October 4th, 2004, 07:36 PM
DogLover

Smile

I am so glad I found this post. I am so happy to see people who love their animals so much...and others as well. As far as this matter, cats are the hardest animals to adopt because they breed so quickly. Where I live, there are stray cats EVERYWHERE! If that poor baby has an eye infection that and suffered through it this long, im sure she isn't going to take it to the vet. The best thing you could do for the kitty is try to get it healthy. Unfortunately, it sounds like you (or hopefully another animal lover) are going to be doing alot of the same as soon as the "puppy" isn't so cute anymore and she realizes it chews, needs to be fed and potty trained. It will too become an outside stray suffering from neglect and malnutrition. BEST OF LUCK!
Old October 11th, 2004, 08:31 PM

Perhaps you can just ask her if she really even wants the cat and then offer to keep it, even if you intend to give it to a friend who can take better care. Maybe it just got dumped on her front porch and she feels guilty about giving it up. By you asking her, it will allow her to be relieved of that responsibility if she so chooses, and also doesn't make you look like a nag.
Just do it carefully so, as mentioned before, you don't create any hostitlity between you.
Old October 12th, 2004, 10:46 AM
Senior Contributor

Oh my, I can't believe everything that I just read. It is so sad. Badger, I wouldn't give the kitten back. He / she has been neglected too much, and it would only happen again, and next time, he may end up losing his life. Bless your heart for taking care of kitty. I hope everything goes well, and you either keep him or find him a loving home. I just hope that the puppy does not experience the same kind of treatment as the kitty did. Keep us posted.
Old October 13th, 2004, 12:04 AM

I would keep the kitten myself, get it looked after and everyone will be happy
Old October 13th, 2004, 09:25 PM
Sammi

Keep the kitten, it's better off with you. If you have a full house (as most of us do), maybe your vet will take it on as a charity case/clinic cat? (We have 3 clinic cats right now looking for homes, just got it down from 5)

Keep an eye on that puppy!