Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Suggestions & Improvements

Old October 3rd, 2004, 05:28 PM

Forum for "I recommed.... "

How about a forum where people can rate or relate there experiences at various "pet places". (i.e lodging, groomers, parks etc...) This way people new to an area/visiting can check out the forum for recommended places and places to avoid.
Jess
Old October 4th, 2004, 03:25 PM
Administrator - Pet lover

This is something that we have considered in the past....but from experience we know that the section would simply fill up with people trying to 'recommend' their own services. There is no way to assure quality control for anything recommended.

Thanks for the input and please keep it coming.
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old October 5th, 2004, 07:49 AM
Senior Contributor

Stipulate that the section not be used for advertising! or self promotion......for example if I were a dog groomer......and someone posted "is there a dog grommer near me?" I could speak up and let them know .....but.....I would not be able to post Hey I'm a dog groomer anyone interested in my services etc etc.... I think it is the same as posting it in a general forum where people ask anyway you have to take your chances with any business........sorry for the example but .......we have girls here that belong to rescues or other groups that already promote themselves do we not?????
Old October 5th, 2004, 09:11 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

Unfortunately, and is from personal experience....

The posts would appear like they came from someone that visited XYZ...when in reality XYZ would have simply registered and posted the thread themselves. Maybe not all the threads would go like that but a good % would. Again no quality control.

I took my cats to a groomer (a shop that I used to trust) a year ago and their paws and nails came back bloody. OH did I throw a fit! What's to stop that groomer from registering and recommending their own services...or having their friends post great reviews. Loads of people do this on free sites.

We appreciate the feedback and suggestions and have opened several forums based on members' feedback, but I'm afraid this one is nixed for now.

Thanks
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old October 5th, 2004, 10:15 AM
Senior Contributor

yah....never thought of that .....point taken
Old October 5th, 2004, 02:15 PM

Maybe then a site "I do not recommend" Then ppl who own buisnesses would for sure not be posting their place there!!! But, I guess they could post other buisnesses in the area. Oh, well. It would just be nice to hear from ppl who have actually been to some of these Pet-related places. Even if someone posts about their own shop, ppl who have had negative experiences there could post a reply. At least you'd know where some of these places are, and what they do (not everything is listed in the phone book!!)
Anyway, sorry to hear it won't work out. But, that's okay.
Jess
Old October 5th, 2004, 05:56 PM
Senior Contributor

quote'Maybe then a site "I do not recommend" '

isnt that bordering on slander, and it would give lots of disgruntled ppl (for various good and bad reasons) an area where they can discredit an operation. that sort of area would make me very sad, i would consider that unfair to the various operations who may or may not have given good service.

food for thought
Old October 5th, 2004, 06:35 PM
Senior Contributor

I agree with Marko. Too messy, wherever there is commerce there is skullduggery. Which doesn't mean we can't recommend places/people we trust if we are asked. Right Marko?
Old October 5th, 2004, 10:03 PM

Sorry if you didn't catch my tone, I was trying to be funny! That's why I put the little smiley stick-out-the-tongue face ( ). I also went on to say it wasn't feasable as ppl could post competators in their field.
Slander though? I don't know. If you've had an un-pleasant experiance somewhere, I don't think there is a law against sharing your personal experience. Have you seen the car's on the HWY with signs saying Iwill never buy a ### again? or how about ppl posting about certain BYB's and Mill's on other threads?
I honestly was kidding about the "I don't recommend" site, but I don't necessarily agree, that posting if you got terrible treatment at a certain place is a bad thing. Kind of like a better buisness bureau for pet related products/services!! Making sure I take my pet (loved one) to a place that is competant and treats my pet with kindness is of upmost importance to me.