Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old October 9th, 2011, 06:52 PM
Unofficial Zookeeper

Colby's weight

First and foremost, vet is not worried about him. He's passed all his tests..and this is more just a "ME" thing. Colby is a long, lanky, long nosed, THIN dach. I realise not all dach are short, and chunky. (like the rest of my crew)...but when I can almost wrap my hand around his entire stomach..it bugs me. He stays on the go, and is high energy. He is also my seperation anxiety pup, so spends alot of time "barking, howling, yelling" when we are gone, or he is alone in his kennel at night (and yes we've tried alternatives, he has to be kenneled or he'll chew the house (usually my shoes), and he has to be in his own room because he will NOT settle down for at least 30 mins).
His appetite varies. Some days he wolfs anything edible down like its the best ever...some days he sticks his nose up at anything except a hotdog. (we've taken to hiding a few chunks of hotdog at the bottom of his food dish, and he'll EAT his way there. LOL>

But I know with all my "experts" on here...maybe someone can give me a "healthy" , "inexpensive" way to put just maybe a POUND or two on him.
I know we should still see the line of his ribs (have looked at healthy weight pics of dach till my eyes are crossed). (by that i mean be able to tell a disctint different between where the ribs start and end, and it not be a solid lump from neck to back end. (LOL)

but just for "my" comfort..I'd like to fatten him up. JUST A LITTLE>

home recipies?
and I dont want to over do it. Just maybe something we can feed him for a little while till his weight picks up. (he also recives a handfull of fattening k/d on top of his food for a treat).

thanks all!
Old October 9th, 2011, 07:23 PM
Senior Contributor
Tetris Champion, Cell-Out Champion

Hey RR

Some of the members here recommended this for my Nookie on a couple different occasions. Unfortunately, he can't have anything raw, so won't work for us, but a few of the people here have had great success with these in regards to putting a bit of weight on!

This is the link to the recipe, they're called satin balls:

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=53050

There are several different versions if you google "satin balls", but I can't say which is best because I haven't tried any of them

Hope it helps your little guy!

"Who can believe that there is no soul behind those luminous eyes!" ~ Theophile Gautier

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole" - Ok... whoever said this has never had a sick or special needs baby. They ARE our whole life!

R.I.P. my sweet, handsome Thorin. You are missed dearly Dec. 25, 1999 - Mar. 4, 2012
Old October 10th, 2011, 07:38 PM
Unofficial Zookeeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgeurts View Post
Hey RR

Some of the members here recommended this for my Nookie on a couple different occasions. Unfortunately, he can't have anything raw, so won't work for us, but a few of the people here have had great success with these in regards to putting a bit of weight on!

This is the link to the recipe, they're called satin balls:

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=53050

There are several different versions if you google "satin balls", but I can't say which is best because I haven't tried any of them

Hope it helps your little guy!

THANK YOU VERY MUCH! (is feeding raw hamburger a good idea thou...something about it seems so wrong (course I dang near BURN eveyrthing...lol).