Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old August 17th, 2011, 11:32 AM

Rescue Beagle & separation anxiety

A friend recently rescued a Beagle from the States. We don't know much about the background, the dog appears to be around 2 and spayed but so far, the Beagle appears friendly and happy.

The real problem is when my friend leaves the house and the dog is in a spacious laundry room (gated) the dog howls, urinates and knocks down the gate. She was told to crate the dog but the dog hurt it's nose by trying to get out and it is still healing.

Now, without a gate, the dog frequently urinates when they leave the house. Any recommendations or advice?

Thanks!
Old August 21st, 2011, 04:29 PM
Unofficial Zookeeper

Seperation anxiety is a very common problem. Unfortunatly its more or less managed , than it is solved. I have a dach with a mild case of it, he too is a rescue.
What we were told to do is, never make a big deal out of leaving "saying good bye to pup", going thru some big giant ritual when leaving", and never make a big deal when you come home either. Basically , put dog up a while before you leave, so she can see you walking around, and being "there" while she is in her "goodbye place"....and when you come home , IGNORE her for a little while as well.
This usually helps the dog with its "anxiety" , which is not a behavor problem as most people think. It actuall IS a mental issue that the dog really cannot help itself.
I found our urinating problem was solved by diapering pup only while gone. (be careful not to put on just as you are leaving, or this is also a SIGNAL to pup). we just put ours on about 20 mins or so before we leave.

There is also some pharamone plug in things that you can get that help "soothe" the pup while you are gone. Some can be expensive, but it beats having to rewalpaper your laundry room, or get a new door, or the VET bill from pup hurting itself.

Have your friend GOOGLE "canine seperation anxiety" . there are MANY non medication routes to try first.

Our dach has to be in a kennel in another room all night because left out he destroys things, and in it he howls , barks and whines all night.
He is learning slowly bedtime, and morning routines, so he is not quite as noisy or destructive. SO THERE IS HOPE!

and there is no way to know if she was "seperation anxiety ridden" before her rescue, or if being rescued triggered it.
(unless they contact the owner and ask i guess).
Often if its just triggered BY rescueing...it can quite down with routine and time.
If it was just born with it...its harder.

Thats about all i got.
good luck!
Old August 21st, 2011, 05:42 PM

Thanks Ruby

I will forward your info to her...shame really because the dog is just adorable!

Thanks very much!
Old August 21st, 2011, 09:15 PM
Unofficial Zookeeper

Yes it is a shame. As annoying as it is for us, it is very very stressful and hardER on the pups themselves. And I'm not a seperation anxiety expert. I've heard all sorts of solutions. Best thing your friend can do is GOOGLE. But be wary of any that claim if you send money , they will send you a solve all problem fixer to the problem.
Because there is no SOLVING it, it is managable. But its USUALLY a life long problem, and if it is just a momentary stress reaction to being recently uprooted and rescued...its still a mental thing. some people put thier pets on doggie valum for lack of a better word. I find just some technices of not making a big deal out of goodbyes and hellos, a routine, and things to keep pup busy in his "alone" place....helps a great deal.
Good luck...I'm sure your friend will find lots of "healthy" alternatives to drugs for cute pup..and she'll settle in in no time.
Ps: not saying anyone that has to medicate thier animal is wrong. Just saying there are so many alternatives to try first. Thats all I mean.
Old August 21st, 2011, 09:38 PM

The dog is obviously becoming stressed due to new surroundings and being left alone. Some dogs simply need time to get into the routine which may take 2-3 months. Some dogs find it helpful to have a bit more space when left alone. This gal NEEDS to be exercised and emptied out of energy and toiletries before being left alone.
As renegaderuby said there is no set answer it will vary dog to dog. My doxie is similar we tried leaving him in kennels and he became traumatized by being left in a cage. Before we got him at the SPCA he was in a petstore and spent a lot of his life in a cage, likely very frustrated. Once we moved to a new apartment with no carpet be just made the couch safe and closed the room doors and left him loose. He made a few mistakes at first being anxious about a new environment and remembering the anxiety he felt by being kenneled previously but after 4 months he seems much better.

Tell them to try exercising her, making sure she is toileted and give her something to occupy herself with and see if that helps.

Tags
beagles, rescue, urination