Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old August 12th, 2011, 09:32 PM

Seizures and Stress

We adopted our 4 yr old Golden from a rescue group, and he came to us with a history of seizures. He is on Phenobarbital and Potassium Bromide since February. His seizures started in 2009. We do not have a feel for the frequency of his seizures prior to being surrendered to the rescue group. He has 5 epic Grand Mall seizures in the first 3 weeks we had him, with 4 of them in one weekend. His medication was adjusted, and he went from April 25 to Aug 9 with no seizures. He has had 2 this week. His seizures occur between 3 and 4 AM and he lets out a blood curdling high pitched, and very loud shriek at the time the seizures start. The last under a minute, and afterwards he is temporarily blind and paces about, so we put him in his crate to keep him safe and secure.

This is such a heartbreaking sight when the seizures occur, and I am fairly stressed out this week by the sudden re-emergence of the seizures, combined with the lack of sleep for the past 3 nights. We had his blood drawn today to check his Phenobarbital and KBr levels so the vet can determine what adjustments need to be done with his medications.

I love my dog dearly, but I am also very fearful of another long night of seeing him go into a seizure. I could just sit down and cry. Our dog is so sweet and loves everyone, but this week he has not been his usual self. While his appetite is not lacking, he is sleeping more and has been a bit wobbly on his feet.

I imagine these are normal emotions for anyone who cares for a dog who is prone to seizures, but I absolutely do not know who to turn to. I just want my happy little guy back, and at times I feel that my stress is contributing to his seizures. And my other dog, who is healthy as a horse is now having loose stools and acting very clingy; I think he is worried about his brother, since the vet cannot find anything wrong with him.

Thanks for letting me "vent". Seizures are evil. Our household feels as though is has been turned upside down.