Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old August 10th, 2011, 10:23 AM

dog nail grooming

Just got my Bichon from the groomers, and realized that they must have forgotten to trim his nails. Now, I really don't want to take him back for a few reasons a) the groomers we really like is 50 KM away, b) I really don't want to offend them by being nit-picky, they are a really good place to go and c) Mon-Fri 8-5 business which means I need to take time off of work to get this part done.

So, I want to take a shot at them myself. But I heard that this is delicate process.

Advice?
Old August 10th, 2011, 03:03 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

The main thing is to trim up to, but not into, the quick. If your dog's nails are white, you're in luck because you'll be able to see the quick easier. If you can work from above and lift the foot like someone shoeing a horse, that will give you a good view, too.

What are you going to use to trim the nails? Guillotine-type tool...scissors clipper...dremel tool...?

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old August 10th, 2011, 08:49 PM
You can call me DOG!

I bought one of those Pedi Paws but ended up going back to the good ole fashion Guillotine type.

The regular type snippers are much faster and even though they're louder and somewhat startling, they do the job much quicker and I find I'm more able to see what I'm doing rather than spending 5-10 minutes per nail with a Pedi Paw dremel.

If his nails are white - bonus! Like Hazel said above, start just at the tip if you're uncertain until you get the hang of it. Make sure you keep a dabble of cornstarch or quik medicate powder on hand just in case you accidentally clip the quick.

Rest in Peace Bailey: 12/10/95-1/9/09 (Golden Retriever)
Rest in Peace Kitty: 7/1/2000 - 10/7/2013
Gryphon (sounds like Griffin): 10/14/2004 (English Springer Spaniel)
Bella: 3/09/2005 LHD Cat adopted by/from Child
Mollie: 6/2/2009 (English Setter)