Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

Old October 1st, 2004, 03:31 PM

I have heard this before as well, but Tally likes Pedigree and she has had no health problems since I put her on it, so I am going to keep her on it.
Old October 1st, 2004, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammiec
*giggle @ LavR*

I have switched my girl to Wellness, Lamb and Rice. She loves it but farts upa storm!!! Is there really a way to get away from the gas?!?! Except for those diapers that I saw on here a long time ago, the ones with the filter LOL! That's funny!
Too funny! One of our dogs was on Wellness Fish & Sweet Potatoe for a while. He could clear a room in an instant!
Old October 1st, 2004, 07:19 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Tally likes Pedigree and she has had no health problems since I put her on it, so I am going to keep her on it.
Tally is 12 weeks old, right? So you have no idea how she will do on it. I think she's also a Westie - a breed notorious for skin problems. Eating garbage sure won't help that.

You may like Big Macs too, but a steady diet of them would do little for your health.

Last edited by Ford; February 7th, 2008 at 12:35 PM.
Old October 2nd, 2004, 06:14 AM

I am actually a vegetarian, and I don't eat Big Macs, I eat health food.
Tally enjoys her food and I think taste is importnant - her weight is fine and her check ups are good.
As for any skin problems, she is regularly groomed and checked.
I think Pedigree is a fine food and I am going to keep feeding her it.
Old October 2nd, 2004, 06:24 AM
Senior Contributor

Well, so long as Tally likes her food. Here's to her long term health.

Just out of curiosity, why are you a vegetarian?
Old October 2nd, 2004, 11:06 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
I eat health food.
And your puppy gets junk food. Okay, but why do you ask advice of older, more knowledgeable and more experienced people, who provide proof of what they are telling you, then say you have no intention of listening? You are merely wasting our time.
Old October 2nd, 2004, 11:57 AM

LuckyRescue, I am not going to start a fight with you.
I merely asked information about Hill's, I had no intention of switching Tally onto another food. She prefers Pedigree so I am going to keep her on it.
PS: I am a vegetarian because eating meat and fish makes me feel sick, and since cutting meat out I feel and look much healthier. If anybody else wants any more info, www.famousveggie.com has a great message board.
Old October 2nd, 2004, 12:02 PM
Senior Contributor

Putting Tally on a better quality food will make her look and feel much better too.
Old October 2nd, 2004, 12:17 PM
Senior Contributor

Asking questions is not trying to "start a fight".

When you make statements like this:

Quote:
I think Pedigree is a fine food
you really should be able to back it up. What is good about it? Why do you think everyone is telling you it's not good? The point of this board is to help pets live healthier lives and get better care, which is why we are advising you.

The fact that your puppy likes it does not mean it's fine.

Dogs like many things that are not good for them. This does not mean they are fine.
Old October 2nd, 2004, 01:06 PM

I am going to talk with my vet about the best food possible for Tally.
It is probable that I will keep her on Pedigree though.
Thank you for all your advice.
Old October 2nd, 2004, 01:55 PM
Senior Contributor

Has any one heard anything about Chicken soup for the pet lovers soul brand? We went to a pet shop to look at different foods today. I didn't see any by products or yellow corn. Is this a good brand?
Old October 2nd, 2004, 02:05 PM

Lots of folks on this board swear by it. I've never tried it myself - a little too rich for my blood.
Old October 2nd, 2004, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyRescue
What is good about it? Why do you think everyone is telling you it's not good?
Well you know the dog on TV dances for it... it must be good right?!

Sorry - in a silly mood and just couldn't resist
Old October 2nd, 2004, 08:25 PM
Senior Contributor

Don't think I have seen that commercial. It sounds humorous!!
Old October 2nd, 2004, 08:59 PM

I think that's actually for Kibbles 'n Bits. Yeah, it's a hoot!
Old October 3rd, 2004, 08:42 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilith_rizel
Has any one heard anything about Chicken soup for the pet lovers soul brand? We went to a pet shop to look at different foods today. I didn't see any by products or yellow corn. Is this a good brand?
It has waayyy to much stuff in it for my girls. It is all good stuff, but there is just so much. If a dog developed allergies while eating it, it could take months to narrow down the culprit.
Old October 3rd, 2004, 09:33 AM
Senior Contributor

Lilith...CSFCLS is great for my cats,they are not overweight and they like it.I also feed them wet food as their main meals morn/night,the dry food is there 24/7.
Old October 3rd, 2004, 10:29 AM

Have you checked Eukaneuba Lamb and Rice....mine loves it, and her pooes are regular...
Old October 3rd, 2004, 10:42 AM
Senior Contributor

There is way more to life then regular poos. Eukanuba and Iams are both made by Proctor and Gamble and are tested on labratory dogs and cats.
Old October 3rd, 2004, 10:44 AM

What? I didn't know that....I was told that it was a good feed for them....I guess that something like that they forget to mention.
Old October 3rd, 2004, 10:53 AM
Senior Contributor

Canidae is a much better food. You want to look for something with very little corn or soy and no meat by products. Meat meals are ok, just not by products. And don't get anything with generic meats. That could be anything at all including euthanized pets. Chicken Soup for the Dog Lovers Soul is a very good food, but I think it has too many different things in it for my girls.

You will find that with a better quality food, your dog will look better, feel better and poo less.

Oh, and just so you know, Chase ate Pedigree for a long time. She got fat, had no energy and pooped like a champ!
Old October 3rd, 2004, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by layla
Have you checked Eukaneuba Lamb and Rice....mine loves it, and her pooes are regular...
That is made by the same company as Iams and it also full of fillers. When I was doing my research when changing to a "good" dog food I came to the conclusion that if you've never seen an ad for it outside of a pet store - it has a better chance of it being a quality food. Seems quality foods sell themselves and many of those companies do not advertise much or at all.

Look at the ingredients on the side of the bag, corn or any type of corn or brewers rice (seem to be the worst and most often used fillers) should not be in the top 5 ingredients... be sure to notice if corn and cornmeal are not #6&7... that's a cleaver ploy to try and hide how much corn is really in there. A really good dog food will not have either of those ingredients in the food at all. The problem with corn is that dogs can't digest it and therefore get no benefit from it.... he!! humans can't even digest the stuff (you know what I mean ) The problem with brewers rice is that it is already used, in the brewing process, so all or most of the good stuff is drained out of it all ready.

You want to look for things you would eat... actual meat - not "meat meal" and real veggies and grains like potatoes, carots and brown rice. I noticed that the lower end products from the good dog food brands, like solid gold, performatrin, etc all had fillers like corn or corn meal, but the Holistic, Ultra - upper end products from those companies were full of great ingredients.

My thoughts on this was if I'm going to spend twice as much for dog food (I was using a desent but not great food) I was going to spend that extra $5 a bag and get the best. I decided on Performatrin Ultra, which was a great choice for my dog. I thought she looked and acted healthy before but after 2 months on the new food her coat is much better, her weight is great and she has much more energy - she's an 8 yr old dog and I thought her lowering energy level was just her age - but she is back to being as playful and full of energy as when she was 3-4 yrs younger. I'm extreamly happy with that food and I'm a total advicate for feeding high quality foods to our pets - I really didn't know it would make that much difference.

My guess is if you are feeding Eukaneuba you would actually save money to feed a natural all human grade food... as Eukaneuba is very pricey and not much better than many economy feeds.
Old October 3rd, 2004, 11:26 AM
banned user

Seems as though Candy's mind is already made up. But for the rest of you reading this: I just recently bought a bag of Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul, and both of my dogs love it, they DO poop much less, they are more satisfied by eating less of it (so the price really does balance out), and the list of ingredients are impressive. My dogs are in excellent health.
I am lucky, in that I don't have to worry about singling out a food allergy amidst so many different ingredients. So this brand is really working well for them.
Old October 3rd, 2004, 03:42 PM
Senior Contributor

I highly recommend it(CSFCLS) for cats and dogs,but you won't see it on TV,no cat will jump five stories up to get it(commercial)
Old October 3rd, 2004, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico2
I highly recommend it(CSFCLS) for cats and dogs,but you won't see it on TV,no cat will jump five stories up to get it(commercial)
.. well it must not be that good then

That's why DBF doesn't get to shop for pet food - bad enough he buys the stuff with the best ad for us
Old October 3rd, 2004, 07:41 PM

I would like to remind everyone that Candykane is in the U.K and her Pedigree might be a better quality than the North American stuff. Melanie in Australia swears by it too.
Old October 5th, 2004, 06:11 PM
Senior Contributor

Thanks for the information on the Chicken Soup pet food. I think my husband and I will try our puppy on it. It is the best brand for the best price at the pet store we live by. And we like the idea that he won't get over weight and will eat less.
Old October 5th, 2004, 08:42 PM

I thought "meal" was okay (not as good as actual meat), but "by-products" were bad?

Gotta tell you. Phoebe's been on Nutro Natural Choice for a couple of weeks now. She's lying next to my bed right now, sleeping - and farting up a storm! Holy Crow! Talk about room clearing abilities! That's the last bag of Nutro I'm buying!
Old October 6th, 2004, 12:58 AM
banned user

Lilith

Good luck with the Chicken Soup- I bet it will be a smash hit!
Old October 6th, 2004, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinah
Chicken meal, etc. is just chicken (etc.) with the water processed out of it.
I meant to refer to the misc meat by products (mystery meat you often see on low quality foods) - sorry - I didn't use the right wording. - thanks for correcting that

Edited to add - if your dog has allergies to a type of meat (say pork fro example) you would want to stay away from meat meat - as you don't know what type of meat they mean - could be pork, chicken, beef, lamb - it's likely whatever was cheapest at the time of production...