Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old June 23rd, 2011, 11:18 PM
Senior Contributor
Tetris Champion, Cell-Out Champion

Can anyone in the Edmonton area reccomend a Sib rescue?

There's a horrible ad on Kijiji, once again
I spoke with the girl offering her dog. She's very young and seems to be very attached to her dog, but her father is making her kennel the poor thing constantly and has told her she needs to find her another home. The Husky is a beautiful female, 1 yr old and not spayed
She did say she wasn't spayed because she was told to wait until the dog was older, so at least it isn't for the "wrong" reason.

The girl has agreed to give me until tomorrow afternoon to place her. I would take her myself until a home could be found, but we're leaving for the states on Saturday morning.
This is the ad with pictures of this beautiful girl:

http://edmonton.kijiji.ca/c-pets-dog...AdIdZ292922691

She did agree to put a price on her once I told her about puppy mills.

"Who can believe that there is no soul behind those luminous eyes!" ~ Theophile Gautier

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole" - Ok... whoever said this has never had a sick or special needs baby. They ARE our whole life!

R.I.P. my sweet, handsome Thorin. You are missed dearly Dec. 25, 1999 - Mar. 4, 2012
Old June 23rd, 2011, 11:34 PM
Pro Poop Scooper!

If you message Kitona who sometime posts here, she is associated with a Sibe rescue, she's in Calgary but she has lots of people to call on!! I think the rescue is called H.E.A.R.T.S.
Old June 23rd, 2011, 11:42 PM
Senior Contributor

Thanks pattymac! I did leave a msg for H.A.R.T. in Edmonton, but I'll msg Kitona as well. I would be more than happy to take the beauty to Calgary.

"Who can believe that there is no soul behind those luminous eyes!" ~ Theophile Gautier

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole" - Ok... whoever said this has never had a sick or special needs baby. They ARE our whole life!

R.I.P. my sweet, handsome Thorin. You are missed dearly Dec. 25, 1999 - Mar. 4, 2012
Old June 23rd, 2011, 11:49 PM
Pro Poop Scooper!

I sent a message to her on Facebook as well. She is gorgeous!! Poor puppers!
Old June 23rd, 2011, 11:55 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattymac View Post
I sent a message to her on Facebook as well. She is gorgeous!! Poor puppers!
Thank you so much! And yes, she is definitely gorgeous! I'm so worried some puppy mill is going to snap her up. She's obviously purebred.

Old June 24th, 2011, 12:13 AM

Have you tried the breed club? They are involved in rescuing Sibes as well:

Facebook: Siberian Husky Club of Canada Alberta Saskatchewan Region

The Siberian Husky Assistance & Rescue Program: http://www.shccrescue.com/

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying

Vindication ~ For all those pets who became sick or lost their lives from tainted pet food
Old June 24th, 2011, 12:31 AM
Senior Contributor

Thnx growler!! I'll try msg'ing them now!

Old June 24th, 2011, 12:35 AM
Senior Contributor

I did contact the Kennel Club Rescue of Edmonton, they are the ones who helped me with my neighbors Bulldog, but the lady who is in charge is going out of town. She said she'd contact a Sibe breeder she knows to see if she can foster. She will call me tomorrow if she can help.

Old June 24th, 2011, 12:39 AM

One of them can get this girl into a safe environment soon.

Thanks for all you've done to help Rgeurts

Vindication ~ For all those pets who became sick or lost their lives from tainted pet food
Old June 24th, 2011, 12:40 AM
Senior Contributor

I sure hope so! I hate seeing those ads
I should stay off Kijiji hehe

Old June 24th, 2011, 07:57 AM

Hi guys, I'll take her if no-one in the Edmonton area can. Poor kid! Please email me at [removed]

Last edited by growler~GateKeeper; June 24th, 2011 at 11:36 PM. Reason: no personal emails, pls pm thnks :)
Old June 24th, 2011, 08:20 AM
Senior Contributor

Kitonathank's hopefully it will work out for this beauty
and Thank's Robyn for caring so very much!
Old June 24th, 2011, 08:37 AM

Sigh. There are just so many......

I should not have gone to bed so early last night! I miss all the late-night action. But, yeah, if we can keep her out of the hands of millers, that would be a very good thing. Damn these breeders who sell to just anyone and don't take the dogs back when poo happens.
Old June 24th, 2011, 08:43 AM
Senior Contributor

OMG yes,the thought of millers makes my skin crawlshe can be rscued..
Old June 24th, 2011, 08:45 AM
Senior Contributor

Thank you so much, Kitona!! I'm on my way to the dentist this morning, then have to do some packing etc (leaving for 2 weeks tomorrow morning), then I'll give the girl a call
I'm waiting to hear back from the Kennel Club Rescue. If they can't take her, I'll let you know!

I'll email you with my contact info

Old June 24th, 2011, 08:54 AM

Ah, you're up! I didn't want to call you too early. I'll wait for your email.
Old June 24th, 2011, 05:37 PM
Senior Contributor

Oh,and please let us know what is happening with this beauty
Old June 24th, 2011, 08:22 PM
Senior Contributor

Well, I found her a wonderful home just outside of Edmonton. Unfortunately, the girl won't answer her phone or return my calls. I have left her a couple of messages, but haven't heard back. I'm afraid she may have already given her away and just doesn't want to talk now

I left my cell number so if she just got busy and couldn't answer me, maybe she will call me tomorrow. We will be on our way to the states, but at least I have contact info for the people that want her. I really hope if she did give her to someone that she at least screened them a bit

Old June 24th, 2011, 08:24 PM
Senior Contributor

Kitona, thank you SO much for your willingness to help! I enjoyed our conversation this morning... You have a beautiful heart. Maybe someday we can meet up and have coffee

Old June 25th, 2011, 11:08 AM
Senior Contributor

Robyn,Ithere is a good outcome for her
Old June 25th, 2011, 11:30 AM

Me too, Chico, me too. I wish there was a way to force all breeders to take back what they produce and sell. Then so many dogs would not end up in dire straights, in pounds, rescues or sold off to puppymills.
Old June 25th, 2011, 12:56 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Were you able to contact the girl again, Rgeurts? You're such an for trying to help her out!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old June 25th, 2011, 02:18 PM

Unfortunately, the girl never responded to two phone and 1 email messages. So I figure she's either angry, ashamed or sold the dog for $. Or all of the above.
Old June 25th, 2011, 02:49 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Bummer. I hope she did right by the dog.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old July 6th, 2011, 02:36 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
Were you able to contact the girl again, Rgeurts? You're such an for trying to help her out!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitona View Post
Unfortunately, the girl never responded to two phone and 1 email messages. So I figure she's either angry, ashamed or sold the dog for $. Or all of the above.
Quote:
Bummer. I hope she did right by the dog.
Before I left I had spoken with the home that really wanted her and had given her the girls email (it was listed in the Kijiji ad) and said to just email her as if she were responding to the ad, and not mention anything that we had spoken about. It was a lady and her husband who have a sled dog team that they are rebuilding as their current dogs are getting too old to pull anymore. I did ask her some questions like what they do with the dogs that are getting too old. She said they have a large property with special fenced yards for the "retirees". They keep them as family pets and let them live out their lives in comfort. They also take in retired sled dogs that are slated for euthanasia. None of their dogs are tethered and all of them are part of the family. The home came highly recommended by the lady who runs the Edmonton Kennel Club Rescue (the same lady who helped me find a home for my neighbors little Bulldog, Moose).

I am SO happy to say that when I got home, there was a message on my voicemail from the lady with the sled dog team. She did get ahold of the girl and now has Lakota!! They are giving her a week to settle in to her new home and then she will be spayed and start her sled training
No puppy mills for this beauty!!

Old July 6th, 2011, 04:41 PM
Senior Contributor

Aww Robyn,that's great news,thank's!!!
Old July 6th, 2011, 05:46 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Fantastic job, Robyn! I'm so happy to hear the news!!

Old July 6th, 2011, 05:52 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico2 View Post
Aww Robyn,that's great news,thank's!!!
I'm just so happy that it worked out well!! I know the couple that have her will take very good care of her, and love her

Quote:
Fantastic job, Robyn! I'm so happy to hear the news!!
Hazel, I was ecstatic to get the message!! But I didn't do anything except pass on the email addy. I'm just happy they got ahold of the girl

Anita from the rescue foundation said the couple that took her are very good friends (and neighbors) of hers for many years, and will give her a loving, fun home. The sledding is a hobby, not commercial or for financial gain, so I think Lakota will enjoy her new life

Old July 6th, 2011, 08:17 PM

Oh Robyn, that's such fantastic news! Good on ya. She was on my mind for the last couple of weeks and I'm just so relieved now! If you ever have the chance to meet the wonderful people that have her, please thank them for me. Happy healthy spayed dog - 1, puppymillers - 0, this time.
Old July 7th, 2011, 12:23 AM

Wonderful news