Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum

Old September 27th, 2004, 01:23 PM
Senior Contributor

Manitoulin Island

What a neat place.......Hubby and I went there to a friends cabin for the past week what a delight it is an 8 hour drive but on the way we caught the ferry called "the Chi-Chi-maun" (sp?) it took 2 hours of the drive and was amazing, I have never been on such a large boat before, I felt like a big kid.

The land is very flat there, the kettle rock is very interesting, and there were deer around every corner we turned and bunnies everywhere. I was in heaven, one with nature.

I think my favorite time was spent just after sunrise exploring the beaches of lake Huron with my buddy MOLSON, a dog another couple brought, for 2 hours every morning we scoured the beaches for pretty rocks and driftwood one of my favorite passtimes for sure (and Moley's as well).

Night time brought beautiful stars and the aurora borealis (sp?) Northern lights...and of course the many ****tails and cooking everything on the BBQ was also a delight........roast beef, potatoes and even yorshire pudding it amazing what you can do with a BBQ.....lol well that's about it.....it was no bahamas but .......................
I LOVE ONTARIO
Old September 27th, 2004, 03:29 PM
Crusader

I plan on going on a ROAD TRIP.. and that seems like a wonderfull place to check out!! off the beaten track!!
Thanks for sharing Iggette
Attached Images

Old September 27th, 2004, 03:55 PM
Senior Contributor

Iggette, I know what you mean!! I grew up in that area, 2 hours from Tobermory. I spent many summers up there, it's absolutely gorgeous! Glad you had such a great time!
Old September 27th, 2004, 06:03 PM
Senior Contributor

i am sick with jealously, you saw the arora borealis, my god, do you realise how lucky you are, i would have to travel pretty far to get a look at that, and it is something i will see before i die, i must. it is one of the most amazing things in the world, lucky you your special
Old September 27th, 2004, 07:21 PM
no, I am not a chick!

Manitoulin isn't very far from where my parents are. I've been out there numerous time's. Did you know that its the largest fresh water island in the world? people around here say that we have a deer problem, the island's nuts with them..
Old September 28th, 2004, 01:21 AM
~Cat Servent~

OMG....the CHI-CHI!!!! I LOVED the CHI-CHI, and I couldn't stop saying CHI-CHI!!!!!!!!!! (It made me giggle!) Me and the Hubby took our belated honeymoon there last summer, well in Tobermory, we took the Chi-Chi cruise and the boat out to Flowerpot Island. We took the late cruise though so did not get off at Manitoulin. I loved it up there and Hubby was so happy to show me around, he is from Kincardine and used to dive at Toby with a group from Port Elgin. I have the coolest pic of him standing on a rock table in about 2 feet of water just before it drops off to like 70 feet! I'll put them here if I can!

Oh and did you guys sit outside and have any gulls follow the boat? Chase had one that was following us almost the whole way, so we went to the back and Chase threw it a few pieces of bread. The darn thing was catching it in the air and never even slowing down to eat it! We fed it like the whole bun and then turned around to applause! There were a bunch of kids and adults watching the 'show'!!! It was so cool!
Attached Images

Old September 29th, 2004, 09:05 AM
Senior Contributor

iRONKNiGHT.............Yup thats the boat......No problem love sharing and it would be a great place to go I have been invited back and will definitly do so ....the only drag was the long drive.....I would love to be there at least a week to fully enjoy what the Island has to offer.

sammiec......Lucky you were you on the island? 'cause we drove about 2 hours from when we were let off the ferry, on little Lake Huron......we were also about a 5 minute drive from a place we visited called Misery Bay.....My friends brother bought the land when he was 16 years old believe it or not and knew the man that donated the cottage there

melanie.......Yes I consider myself very lucky I have only seen it 3 times and it was the most beautiful thing in the world (or so I think....lol) As I was staring at the sky I just couldn't stop being in awe

Kona Dawg.....Your parents are lucky to live there I sure wouldn't mind if my kids would follow me ......but I think they would miss the city life......or at least my son would.......And the Deer......well it just amazed me I see deer on our property every other evening from afar but this was totally different they were just every where one morning after sunrise after Molson (the dog) had left a deer came right up to the cabin and crossed the driveway right behind our car....How beautiful it was to see that close

krdahmer........Chi Chi Maun Chi Chi maun.....I know what you mean we were joking about the name all week.....a girl friend of mine is nicknamed "Cheech" and some of us called her Chi Chi for short.....one guy always says "hey mon" so when he saw her he would say "hi CHI CHI Mon".......well we couldn't stop laughing at the connection of the 2 apparently it stands for "big canoe" so he said to her brother (who was with us......"you meen I was calling your sister a "big canoe?".........lol....it was hilarious ...And yes we had a seagull follow us all the way it was fun to watch......I wasn't thinking I should have fed them as well.....but we had the beef rib dinner and it was so good that I ate it al......lol We never saw flowerpot Island but I would love to go again to see all the sites.......I love your pic of the sunset must have been very romantic.....you must have done the dinner tour.....our food was awesome and very tastey.
Old September 29th, 2004, 09:10 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggette
sammiec......Lucky you were you on the island? 'cause we drove about 2 hours from when we were let off the ferry on little Lake Huron
I grew up in a small town up that way, not on the island, but the "main land" LOL. South of Tobermory..I have been to FlowerPot Island many times and on the glass bottom boat... I have a friend that has a cottage in Tobermory so I have spent many summer days up there. I just love it.
Old September 29th, 2004, 09:14 AM
Senior Contributor

yes the GLASSBOTTOM BOAT........hubby wants to take that tour.....do you see much ?
Old September 29th, 2004, 09:35 AM
Senior Contributor

Meh, there's a couple of ship that has sunk in the "harbour" over the years, and some they have created on purpose, for diving. It's very interesting, but slow...
Old September 29th, 2004, 12:08 PM
~Cat Servent~

Oh...speaking of that glass bottom boat tour....anyone remember seeing this?
Attached Images

Old September 29th, 2004, 12:17 PM
Senior Contributor

Is that the boat that sunk last year?
Old September 29th, 2004, 12:25 PM
~Cat Servent~

LOL...no Its the iron one in that little bay on the glassbottom tour.
The scanner did it no justice, the colours are so vivid in the actual pic.
Old September 29th, 2004, 12:27 PM
Senior Contributor

LOL, haha! It is a very nice picture!
Old September 30th, 2004, 04:13 PM
Senior Contributor

wow the water looks awesom in that pic, also another thing I noticed waiting for the ferry, I used to go to the bluffs or docks at downtown Toronto and the comparison in the water freeked me out......up north it was so clean, you could see right to the bottom, and the blues in the water.....well your picture shows that
Old September 30th, 2004, 08:42 PM
~Cat Servent~

Oh yeah....that water...wow!
I was used to camping at Long Point and swimming in Lake Erie (I'd never even think of setting foot in Ontario!) until I was introduced to the cool clear water of Port Elgin and Lake Huron!!! What a difference! I was actually brave enough to swim out to where I could no longer touch the bottom...because I could still see it.
Ever since watching Jaws when I was eight, I have been so timid in water where I can't see beneath me! I love to swim and used to be pretty good...but at the Lake I was a hyperventilating screeching loser every time a peice of seaweed touched my leg! It's so nice to see it BEFORE it slithers past ya!!!
Old September 30th, 2004, 09:07 PM

Talking Catching the "Fairy"

I love Manitoulin too. My first memory of going there when I was about 6 and my brother 5. We had to wake up very early at the hotel to get the ferry. My mom came in and woke us up saying "It's time to catch the ferry" My little bro started trying to grab something in the air, and said "I caught the fairy, can I go back to bed?" (Seriously... we still tease him about the fairy he caught!!! )
Old October 1st, 2004, 08:27 AM
Senior Contributor

That is so cute.... I would have gone for a swim but the lake was qiute chilly ...only 2 of the guys braved it the rest of us just enjoyed the scenery and the fact that we were the only ones on this huge beach, it was like we had the world to ourselves, joking about being on Gilligans Island
Old April 7th, 2005, 05:34 PM
Senior Contributor

My mother owns some land on Manitoulan, none of us have ever seen it so it was reallly great to read these posts. Ive been thinking about that land alot lately though. It might be a good place for a pit bull retreat! Ive got to get my dog out of the city so he can run! Its just forest though, not even a cabin u there yet!