Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old May 22nd, 2005, 07:21 AM

Help for Gigi,recently diagnosed with Diabetes

Can anyone help with Gigi's Problems?She is our lovely little rescue dog(about 8yrs,a Lowchen)She came to us to join our brood of 10 at the time 4 dogs and 6 cats,about 7 yrs ago.Her owner was living witha guy who gave her beatings and she was afraid he'd kill her.When she joined us,she would cower in the corner but she soon learned to trust us and in return she gives us her love and devotion.I've had pets all my life,dogs,cats,horses etc she is just the most wonderful dog I have ever met.From her poor start came a number of health problems: first she had a virus that caused internal bleeding and she almost died.She made a good recovery but then we discovered a heart murmur (she has cardomax daily).Then she had a uterine infection,the vet thought it could be the start of pyometria,so she had her a hysterectomy.The vet decided to keep her ovaries(here is Spain they are convinced it is healthier for long term health).Next two years ago,she had bladder stones,so many and so large that it meant another "op".
Careful control and regular tests have kept more at bay,but we noticed she wasn't her perky little self a couple of months ago.So back to the vet,more tests showed a liver problem,an infection he said,so we had ten days of Vit B.More tests showed further problems and a high glucose reading,eventually he decided it was diabetes(M).It's been hard to regulate and she is still not really stabilised.I am worried about various signals,but my vet says I worry too much,and take too much notice of what I read on the internet.I am worried about her ovaries,I asked for an ultrasound,it showed one ovary enlarged but he said he thought it unwise to operate.Doesn't progesterone interfere with insulin?Could this hormone problem be the cause of the diabetes?She has a very itchy skin,scaly and dry,but no hair loss as far as I can tell.She also has very little appetite,which seems odd if she's diabetic?Also she just won't eat the right food for her condition,home made or otherwise.I have a constant battle every morning to try to get her to eat something,in the end I usually have to inject first,then she does eventually eat a little something,the wrong things,but the vet says she HAS to eat something,so give her anything.She will sometimes have a little egg,some low fat ham or wholemeal bread thinly spread with butter.(I have tried anything and everything!)even making my own bicuits to special recipes for her problems.In the evening she will sometimes eat a little raw beef,very occasionally aliitle pasta,or a few almonds,but won't eat any fruit,vegetables,pulses,cooked meat or chicken etc.I am at my wits end.
The only thing she will have is a small bowl of skimmed milk at night.Usually!
I feel the scratching is significant,it's always under her front arms and I wonder if she is in pain?I asked for a Cushings test,which came back negative(but I have heard that it is unreliable if the diabetes isn't stable?).
The insulin dose has ranged from a start of .02ml once daily,up to .05ml twice daily.Since last Tuesday,she is on .03ml in the morning and .02ml in the evening,but she's still not hungry in the morning at all?
Can anyone help? I feel certain there is a hormone imbalance,she gets very hot at night and lays on the bathroom tile floor.I also feel she has pain sometimes.Could the enlarged ovary be the problem,or are all these problems to do with the diabetes?Any ideas,Please?

Last edited by tinado; May 22nd, 2005 at 07:31 AM. Reason: New title