Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old April 18th, 2011, 11:28 PM
Senior Contributor

Broken or dislocated tail

One of my shelties has either broken or dislocated the rather fine tip of her tail, about an inch from the end. My usual vet is away, another I go to said they don't touch them unless it's bad enough to warrant docking the dog, but just curious to know if anyone has has this happen and whether your vet tried anything, like taping it maybe? My girl is fine, no pain, and she's 13, so I am not looking to straighten it because she's a show dog, I'm content to leave it be. Just curious is all.
Old April 18th, 2011, 11:41 PM
chronically insane.

You can leave broken tails alone most of the time, but you can sometimes have the vet pop the bone back into place. I accidentally broke my cats tail before rather close to the base.. it's a long story and I was I think 14 at the time.. just mildly HORRIFYING... but my vet popped it into place and about a month later he was fine. He's never really had any problems since, his tail is still a TAD bit ... not really crooked but not as straight as it once was. He is a russian blue mix so very thin build & short coat so you could really see his tail didn't look right when I broke it.

As for today I think I accidentally broke another one of my cats tails Long story short, cat decided he wanted to bust out the door as I was closing it and I closed his tail in the door pretty dang hard...... hopefully it will teach him to stop running away

~ RIP Timmy ~ May 2009 - November 6th 2009
Old April 18th, 2011, 11:48 PM
Senior Contributor

Ouch, poor cat. At least Silk's seems to have set, and being down at the tip I don't think it's as serious anyway. It's always 'something that could happen again' though, so best to get other people's views on it.
Old April 18th, 2011, 11:57 PM
chronically insane.

Yeah my vet told me that unless the tail is so broken that it hangs in the way of potty functions it's nothing to worry about.

My feral Momma cat (who I miss quite dearly) had her tail about 3/4 of the way down completely bent into a 90 degree animal. No idea what happened to her.. she was about 10-12 when she passed.. I only moved to my house about 6 years ago and caught her shortly after and got her fixed and whatnot and her tail was already like that

Figures the only picture I could find you can't see her tail

~ RIP Timmy ~ May 2009 - November 6th 2009
Old April 19th, 2011, 12:16 AM
Senior Contributor

Hahaha! That'd be right, not finding one with a tail. She was a perfectly marked cat, Border Collie markings. Bet she was glad you came into her life. They just don't live long enough, do they?
Old April 19th, 2011, 07:58 AM
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

We usually just treat for pain, GF. If the tip is badly enough broken, it may actually dock itself naturally, or you can have it removed as the tail tip heals. When Ember broke his a couple of years ago about 3 inches from the tip, the vet did splint and tape it because it hurt so much but it isn't always possible to do that depending on the location of the break.

Is she in a lot of pain from it, poor dear?

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old April 19th, 2011, 09:48 AM
Senior Contributor

No, Hazel, I think it has healed. When I groom the tails I don't touch the tips for exactly this reason, that they're fragile on some of them, so she broke it and it's healed. I just sort of dimly recollected a friend having an Italian Greyhound's tail taped a long time ago and assumed it was for this. Shelties , believe it or not, can be incredibly stoic, and hide hurts like this. I've had a pup rip a hole in itself on wire and only let out a small yip, and another skid on hard ground, take a toe nail off completely, and act as if nothing happened. A couple of my cattle dogs didn't handle pain that well.
Old April 19th, 2011, 09:49 AM
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Oh, I thought it had just happened. For what it's worth, even though Ember's break was splinted, it still healed crooked. It's very hard to set a tail.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old April 19th, 2011, 10:02 AM
Senior Contributor

No, I just discovered it, Hazel. As I say, she's 13, so cosmetics don't come into it nowadays. I just discovered that my vet is away for a week, then tonight realised I haven't enough thyroid tablets for Dundee till he gets back. Hmmm, annoying that is. I hope another vet might dispense them without a consultation fee. She knows his history.
Old April 26th, 2011, 01:19 AM
Senior Contributor

Sounds like the same thing as must have happened to Lightning. I don't ever remember him getting his tail caught in the door or anything but it must have happened. Sometimes there's a bit of a melee going in and out when the whole pack rushes the door. I never saw any sign of pain from him but one day (who knows how long after it happened), my daughter was petting him and ran her hand down his tail and said it had a bump. I took a look and sure enough, a few inches from the there is a bump and a crook in the tail. The tip of his tail curves anyhow and it's never carried straight so I never noticed. Upon closer examination, it can be bent to one side at about a 90degree angle without causing him any pain or discomfort, and can be straightened but can not flex or bend in the other direction at all. Doesn't bother him at all.

If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion!

http://www.racingrescues.com
http://www.goodbyegoose.com
Old April 26th, 2011, 02:31 AM
Senior Contributor

With a long coated dog it could be as simple as one dog standing on the other one's tail as it goes to take off too I imagine, Gail. Her tail tip is so fine, it wouldn't have taken much to damage it. Anyway, it's another distinguishing feature if our dogs get lost, right? Silk is minus a claw and has a broken tail. Just glad the latter didn't happen during her showing days.