Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > On topic - Pet chat, opinions, feelings and rants

Old April 13th, 2011, 06:02 AM

what about bugs insects?

i was just wondering.... is there any humanitarian groups for insects or bugs? or is there people who choose not to kill them or use poison or other things to get rid of bugs or insects because they believe in being humane with all beings?

i mean, we cant say that insects or bugs dont feel pain..... can we?

im kinda torn, i mean, where do you draw the line? i dont step on bugs (purposly) and even if i do i usually dont take it personally, its more of an impersonal thing, but is that ok?

whats the difference between a frog and a bee? does a bee not deserve what a lion or a dog or a cat deserve? what about spiders? cockroaches?

is it really ok to use bug poison? or poison for flies? cockroaches? ants?

ok im not that torn, but you get the point.
"For those whom Islam has embraced, the greatest witness to God's unremitting, pursuing, sustaining, and guiding love is the Qu'ran. Like a vast magnificent ocean, it lures you deeper and deeper into its dazzling waves until you are swept into it. But instead of drowning in a sea of darkness, as described above, you find yourself immersed in an ocean of divine light and mercy." - Dr.Jeffrey Lang
Old April 13th, 2011, 06:13 AM
Senior Contributor

very interesting question Steve, I'll tell you how I am........I live in an older home, I get hundreds of ladybugs and have purposely bought a dust buster (hand held vacume) suck em up every morning and then dump them in the field beside me, insects don't bother me except for SPIDERS!!!!!! *LOL* but again, I put a glass over them, slide a paper under it to trap them then toss it all outside *L* glass and all. I do the same with bee's and wasps, 3 times a year when the spider eggs hatch , april, July and october, I'll wash down our house daily for 5 days, it gets rid of the eggs, now maybe that is killing them? I don't know...we have tons of birds that eat the spider eggs. So maybe I'm feeding the birds? Mosquito's don't bite me....hubs says my blood is as rotten as the rest of me so I normally don't swat them. Now do I do it because I like bugs, cause they hurt also? who knows...I just don't like squishing anything *L* I guess it doesn't really answer too much for you Steve, just my ways.

funny story, I DO own a flyswatter, it was a wedding "favor" for an outdoor wedding, anyways, I had a friend down for the weekend, terrified of wasps so I gave it to her to use while we sat outside, man did she swing that swatter!!! never hit a damn thing except the deck when she'd lose her grip on it and it would go flying *LOL* what a site, we now have at our home what we call the *****(her name) dance when we see wasps.
Old April 13th, 2011, 07:10 AM
-

Is this a pseudo-philosophical question about the hierarchy of life forms or a request for resources?

There are many groups world-wide concerned with the preservation of insects and their habitats. In fact, just the other day I posted a video about bee colony collapse disorder and what you, or I could do to counter this devastating and pervasive disorder.
Old April 13th, 2011, 07:58 AM
-

Or have you been reading the news again SSS?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environmen...-worlds-rights

The ombuds job would certainly make moderating a bulletin board look like child's play comparatively speaking...
Old April 13th, 2011, 09:03 AM
Senior Contributor

meh...it flies at me..it dies
it lands on me....it dies
it eats my flowers...it dies....

There ain't no cure for stupid ...... but we should make sure we laugh and point it out to everyone else
Old April 13th, 2011, 09:09 AM
-

So that's what happened to your previous three husbands...
Old April 13th, 2011, 09:35 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mummummum View Post
*LOL* do they make husband spray? ManOff?

back on topic , the reason I don't spray the house or yard is because when my late dog was sick, we stopped all chemical usage to help her liver, inside and outside the house
Old April 13th, 2011, 09:48 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melinda View Post
*LOL* do they make husband spray? ManOff?

back on topic , the reason I don't spray the house or yard is because when my late dog was sick, we stopped all chemical usage to help her liver, inside and outside the house
It's a "clapper" gizmo ...
Old April 13th, 2011, 10:10 AM
Senior Contributor

you're bad! I think I like you
Old April 13th, 2011, 10:14 AM
Senior Contributor

lol they have not located the bodies ...yet....

There ain't no cure for stupid ...... but we should make sure we laugh and point it out to everyone else
Old April 13th, 2011, 10:28 AM
Blue eyed funny farm

Considering Ontario is the banning capitol ( in my eyes) I am still floored that it is allowed to spray your yards with pesticides.
I am all for preservation, and I respect that the grossest of insects have a purpose no matter how annoying.
Ie Black Flies... As pointless as they seem they do serve a purpose.
I dont use sprays, I own a fogger that I got last year for mosquitos and used it once then felt so terrible for unleasing the poisions from it and put it away.
I have 2 of those mosquito vac's or magnets or what ever that run off propane. I'm telling you it was the best $800 I ever spent and am looking to get a couple more this year to keep some of the skeeters off the horses as well.
No matter how many skeeters those things kill, it still fills up daily.
Old April 13th, 2011, 10:31 AM
Senior Contributor

we have a colony of bats that live in our yard, inside the treehouse roof and they take care of a lot of our skeeters, its like watching a ballet every night.
Old April 13th, 2011, 10:34 AM
Blue eyed funny farm

We put up bat houses here when we first moved here because that worked wonders at our other place but not one bat has been spotted here. Perhaps because we are in such a wooded area???
I was rural before but more fields around, here there is plenty of bush.
Hopefully some will move in this year to save me another $400 on another skeetervac/magnet ( Icant remember which one we have lol)
Old April 13th, 2011, 10:55 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by erykah1310 View Post
Considering Ontario is the banning capitol ( in my eyes) I am still floored that it is allowed to spray your yards with pesticides.

http://www.ene.gov.on.ca/stdprodcons...d01_079826.pdf

Ontario’s cosmetic pesticides ban took effect April 22, 2009. While it means that many
herbicides, fungicides and insecticides can no longer be sold or used for cosmetic purposes on
lawns and gardens, you can still have a beautiful lawn and garden using natural methods and
greener alternatives.

If you are still using herbicides, fungicides, or insecticides on your lawn in Ontario then you have come by them illegally as they have not been sold on store shelves since 2009. This act essentially put a few very popular lawn maintenance companies out of business. There are some greener methods available but nothing deemed dangerous for the environment. They are about as effective as throwing a cup of hot water on your lawn.

Oh, and this ban - I agree with.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old April 13th, 2011, 11:00 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaykeija View Post
meh...it flies at me..it dies
it lands on me....it dies
it eats my flowers...it dies....
Quote:
Originally Posted by mummummum View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaykeija View Post
lol they have not located the bodies ...yet....
Quote:
you're bad! I think I like you
OMG you guys are hilarious but it was too funny not to laugh.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old April 13th, 2011, 11:19 AM
Senior Contributor

as for the ban, people still have stock from when the stores brought in extra in 2008/2009, they advertised "stock up".....and it flew off the shelves, I know some people that have enough to keep their lawns weed free for the next 5 yrs still. and of course the #1 item on most shopping lists when they hop across the USA/Canada border (10 minutes away) is weed spray...
Old April 13th, 2011, 11:25 AM
Blue eyed funny farm

Its companies that are spraying it though? Weed Man and them, you see the little bonhomme with the "NO" line through it telling you not to walk on the lawn because of pesticide use. When I would have to walk across these lawns on a daily basis you can't even breathe as the smell of what ever they sprayed chokes you out. I have no idea what they are spraying with but there is a pretty stern warning on the little paper signs about pets and people ect.
Old April 13th, 2011, 11:26 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Quote:
as for the ban, people still have stock from when the stores brought in extra in 2008/2009, they advertised "stock up".....and it flew off the shelves, I know some people that have enough to keep their lawns weed free for the next 5 yrs still. and of course the #1 item on most shopping lists when they hop across the USA/Canada border (10 minutes away) is weed spray...

Which, in my humble opinion, is another way of flaunting laws. I wonder if folks knew the fines they faced if caught if they'd still do it. Of course they would. Gotta' have those green, weed free lawns. Doesn't matter what they do to the environment.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old April 13th, 2011, 11:36 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Its companies that are spraying it though? Weed Man and them, you see the little bonhomme with the "NO" line through it telling you not to walk on the lawn because of pesticide use. When I would have to walk across these lawns on a daily basis you can't even breathe as the smell of what ever they sprayed chokes you out. I have no idea what they are spraying with but there is a pretty stern warning on the little paper signs about pets and people ect.

they told me it was an all natural spray that has a chemical reaction when it hits the "sap" of certain plants, but a friend that works there also told me it doesn't work but it makes people feel better when they spray *L* some are soooo gullible, mine is full of weeds, but......a rabbit eats the clover and the groundhogs eat the dandilions *L* now if only someone would eat the thistles...
Old April 13th, 2011, 11:37 AM
Senior Contributor

Pesticides are banned here. More for the sake of ridding the earth, air and water of chemicals than for preserving plant or animal life but it's a start. Mind you, they're only banned for the average citizen. Municipalties still spray for mosquitoes in fear of West Nile and other agencies also can use pesticides that you and I cannot.

I like the blackfly comment. Do you like blueberries? Do you like trout fishing? Thank the blackfly for it's contribution to pollination and feeding fish. 'Course, I'm one of the lucky ones the pesky little things don't like much.
Old April 13th, 2011, 11:38 AM
Senior Contributor

ha i kill weeds the old fashioned way....i cook the little buggers by pouring boiling water on them. keeps my lawn full of dead holes for a while, but no weeds or thistles...

Old April 13th, 2011, 12:02 PM
-

Quote:
Walk through Rosedale (a chi-chi nabe in Toronto) and you'll find DOZENS and DOZENS of people who have somehow obtained exemptions.

There are so many alternatives to grass lawns...why have them anyway?
Old April 13th, 2011, 01:50 PM
Senior Contributor

I have an exemption because of my daycare and because our yard has poison parsnip , poison oak and poison ivy (comes from the fields next to us) but we don't take advantage of it, I just pull out the vines as they grow and the poison parsnip is dug out with my handy dandy step on weeder *L*.
Old April 14th, 2011, 07:19 AM

melinda, we've been there!

around the time i had sew-sew-steve, we had a minimum of 17 dead flies daily! we were one of the first residents the neighborhood at the time. but i agree, its always funny to laugh at a friends futile attempts to kill a fly lol.

i appreciate everyones input on the subject, but why is there bans on chemical agents ? for INSECTS? or for HUMANS and ANIMALS? i think its the latter.
we didnt create ourselfs, so how on what grounds are we better then insects?

and to answer your question mummummum, this a pseudo-philosophical question about the hierarchy of life forms . i guess i just didnt realise it until you brought it up!
"For those whom Islam has embraced, the greatest witness to God's unremitting, pursuing, sustaining, and guiding love is the Qu'ran. Like a vast magnificent ocean, it lures you deeper and deeper into its dazzling waves until you are swept into it. But instead of drowning in a sea of darkness, as described above, you find yourself immersed in an ocean of divine light and mercy." - Dr.Jeffrey Lang
Old April 15th, 2011, 05:56 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sew-sew-steve View Post
...why is there bans on chemical agents ? for INSECTS? or for HUMANS and ANIMALS? i think its the latter.
we didnt create ourselfs, so how on what grounds are we better then insects?

and to answer your question mummummum, this a pseudo-philosophical question about the hierarchy of life forms . i guess i just didnt realise it until you brought it up!
S'arighty then ... errrrmmm...I was actually waiting for you to begin. Nothing like pseudo-philosophy to kickstart the ol' pre-frontal cortex.

Sooooo, sew-sew...Is the above your stated position? Perhaps you would like to elaborate a little. And if I may, a little clarification on your statement:
"we didnt create ourselfs, so how on what grounds are we better then insects"
would not go amiss. Further, is this a pure creationist perspective, intelligent design....?
Old April 15th, 2011, 06:03 PM
Senior Contributor

Having lived where cockroaches are very common. I'm sorry those those things are disgusting lol. I do not advocate cockroach life. It can do whatever the heck it wants outside, but the moment it decides to climb out through the sewers and into my washroom, is the moment I scream bloody murder and have all the men come out with the slippers Give me the heebie jeebies.

"No, Bunduk, Nooooooooooooooooooooooo!"
Old April 15th, 2011, 07:21 PM
Senior Contributor
Typing Test Champion, Curveball Champion, Mahjong Champion, Zookeeper Champion

I find most insects facinating with a few exceptions. Cockroaches would be something I would not tolerate and ants in the house are another. Termites would also be exterminated if they decided to enter my humble abode. However although I react terribly to spider bites, I saved one that had somehow gotten into a bowl in the sink yesterday, I find watching ants outside facinating. Even have a couple of large nests of red ants in different places in the garden every year and I leave them be. I don't kill mosquitos with foggers or what not, but I do put mosquito dunks in my lotus pots so they don't act as a breeding ground.
Most insects truly are remarkable to watch. Hornets, wasps, bees, beetles. All are facinating. The pond has it's own remarkable host of insects and they do are so much fun to watch.
People are so quick to kill what they fear or what they feel is harming their plants instead of learning about the bugs and finding natural control solutions IMO.

clm
Old April 15th, 2011, 09:32 PM

When i lived in israel, the size of the cockroaches there is absolutely terrifying... some were almost 2 inches long and could fly... others were 2 inches long and liked to hide in your shoes.. so when you went to put your foot in, you heard a 'crunch' and there were white 'guts' all over the shoe and your foot/sock... its beyond gross...

“Dogs believe they are human. Cats believe they are God.”

"The average dog is a nicer person than the average person."
Old April 15th, 2011, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onster View Post
Having lived where cockroaches are very common. I'm sorry those those things are disgusting lol. I do not advocate cockroach life. It can do whatever the heck it wants outside, but the moment it decides to climb out through the sewers and into my washroom, is the moment I scream bloody murder and have all the men come out with the slippers Give me the heebie jeebies.
you probably had similar cockroaches to us... did you have the huge brown ones and the flying red ones?? makes me shudder remembering those things...

“Dogs believe they are human. Cats believe they are God.”

"The average dog is a nicer person than the average person."
Old April 15th, 2011, 09:45 PM
Senior Contributor

I would kind of like to get one of these Madagascar Hissing Cockroachs. You can wear them as jewellery..