Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum

Old September 24th, 2004, 02:53 PM

Question Whats the best way to meet new friends

Just immigrated as ssome might know left all my family and friends in england now am a little bored dont have a car and havent comprehended driving on the other side of road. We went to the local immigrant centre not really for people who spoke english. I went to a toddler group down the road but only 2 people turned up theese were child minders ( day care) had grown up children and runing a business.

My husband works long hours with the long commute to work.
any ideas please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old September 24th, 2004, 02:59 PM
Crusader

What city are you now in? US or Canada? what kinda friends would you like to meet? is it friends with pet's that meet in the park?
Old September 24th, 2004, 03:12 PM

friends

dont have a pet yet just generally to meet friends to talk and have a break from the kids !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I live in Cambridge ontario canada
Old September 24th, 2004, 03:20 PM
And Zoodle's Mom!

jackieb,

If there is a community(recreation) center nearby, get a program book and sign up for an activity that you can participate in with your child. You'll meet new people and possibly make a friend

Where I live (population 12,000) we have a community center that has a pool, ice rink, squash courts, gym etc. They have programs for moms and tots as well as daycare services. Even if your child is in daycare for a few hours, it will give you a chance to have recreation time of your own and get out to meet people. It's probably easier to meet people with your child because everyone like to talk about children!

Parks with playgrounds are also a good place to meet people. It will also benefit your child to play with other children!

Hope this helps you out!!
Old September 24th, 2004, 03:25 PM
And Zoodle's Mom!

I just saw you live in Cambridge! There's probably a million places to go there(exaggerating a little). If you live in a subdivision just walking around with your children you could probably meet neighbours. Hopefully people are friendly where you live. I used to go to school in Kitchener and lived with a lady, her husband and son. Most people on her street were very nice and they all hung out together with their kids.
Old September 24th, 2004, 03:36 PM
Senior Contributor

It is important to find yourself some activities before the winter - it is long! Try some winter sports - don't sit inside!
Old September 24th, 2004, 03:42 PM
Senior member - formerly Lezzerpezzer

Welcome to Canada!

Hi there and welcome to Canada! You may wish to try the local public library to see what events are available, (usually for free!) for both you and your children. You will likely find a real variety of interesting programs and classes that you can participate in and will meet a vast array of people there. Check out their website at: http://www.library.cambridge.on.ca/main.cfm and see what's there.
Old September 24th, 2004, 03:46 PM

Thankyou

Yes i have been to the library they had courses unfortunately i have 3 children one 13 months one 2 and 8 mths and one 4 and a half so the courses were all different age groups and i have noone to llook after the others but will investiget the recreation centre we live in a village called hespler so they isnt as much to do . I am trying the parks thankyou all.
Old September 24th, 2004, 03:51 PM
Senior Contributor

Also,if you are not shy(don't be)go and knock on your neighbors door,although it seems most moms are working,introduce yourself and find out where different activities are.
You'd be surprised how many people will talk to you if you start,I talk to any stranger,much to my hubbies consternation
I know the feeling of being lonely and new to the country,I was there once and I got more home-sick every day
Most people will help you,you just have to take the first step.
Old September 24th, 2004, 04:30 PM
looking for mastiff

check out this website -- it is all about services in Cambridge -- click on all the categories as their ogranization has me scratching my head http://www.cambridgeweb.net/social/neighbourhood.html
Old September 24th, 2004, 05:33 PM
Senior Contributor

and try and be a bit bold, if you see someone at the park with kids, and they liik nice and normal introduce yourself, what is the worst they will do, tell you to go away, so what, no skin off your nose. do you ahve a commiunity center, go and check out any support groups thety have for young mums, and such. good luck, dont worry, you will meet new friends in no time.
Old September 25th, 2004, 05:59 AM

Thankyou all

I will sort myself out stop feeling home sick and get out there!!! lol
thanks for your tips much appreciated
Old September 25th, 2004, 08:55 AM
Senior Contributor

Stick around and let us know how you do. Hmmm. How about a nice rescue dog to keep you company?
Old September 30th, 2004, 09:17 AM

making friends

I am looking to get a dog but making a corrrect deicision and reasearching a bit first. I have spoke to a few people in parks now and went to the toddler group again a few more people this week! Our shipment of goods is comming today only taking 6 weeks to get here! The boys will be pleased to see there toys and i shall be relived to stop wearing the same clothes that we brought with us in suticases the boys have nearly warn out now with the use boys aye!

thankyou all again for your support
a little less home sick now
jackie
Old October 14th, 2004, 10:58 PM
Pitbull Protector!

Jackie.....

I also immigrated to Canada (still in the process of waiting for my landing papers) Im also in Cambridge Ontario...who knows we could be neighbors....Im in hespler just like you.

I married my husband whom is a canadian citizen thats why im here now.... I also find it hard to meet/talk to people because im so shy to begin with and also because im not from around here....I lived in Michigan for the first 25 years of my life....im a little homesick myself....I have 1 child a boy who will be 5 in only 6 short days......i bet our kids go to the same school LOL what a riot this is.....
Old October 15th, 2004, 04:59 AM

hi neighbour

I m fortunately not shy but still find it difficult have no car and am restricted. I have styarted going to a toddler group they are nice here all friendly its in St Andrews Church i know of a few if you drive i do but not on the right lol! PM me and i can give you any information you could need i have sent you a pm. If you see a english person with aa heavy southern accent i llived in bedfordshire and have a strong accent its me oh and the 3 boys should be a give away lol!! Maybe we could arrange to meet up at some point.