Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old March 8th, 2011, 02:20 AM

Pancreatitis? Cancer? Something else?

Hi, I have an eleven year old Rottweiler who was diagnosed with pancreatitis in late August, and there have been some problems since. However, I am not really getting any answers, and I am very frustrated, and afraid for Athena - I love her very much.

In August she began to suddenly vomit a lot, have diarrhea, excessive drooling, and wouldn't get up. There was tarry blood in her stool. It was on my birthday.

I took her to the vet who did blood work, and he said she had pancreatitis, but also that she was anemic, and her white blood cell count was high. We gave her antibiotics, and put her on a diet of MediCal Gastro (a low fat canned food from the vet) for a month, and everything seemed fine.

At least until the end of January when my roommate threw out an old brick of cheese into the garbage! This still makes me so mad. Anyway, I came home to find that she had eaten it. About 5 days later, she seemed lethargic and wouldn't really eat, so we put her back on the Gastro formula. Since then she has been losing weight. She started doing fine again, so I started slowly switching her back onto a mix of the Gastro and her kibble (Orijen Reduced Fat) and she seemed better than ever. Her energy was high, her eyes clear, she was playful, wouldn't let me take her for only short walks and most of the time I had to jog to keep up with her. But then on Saturday my girlfriend said she seemed "wobbly" going up the stairs, and she wouldn't eat any food until later that night or go for a walk. After that, she seemed normal again, but she had diarrhea once, followed by normal bowel movements, and then once again two days later, followed by normal bowel movements.

It was Saturday when I noticed this, and her vet was closed until Monday (today). I took her in for blood work today, and should have the results tomorrow. She has been losing a LOT of weight on this diet they have her on. She weighs only 61 pounds! She is normally about 75 pounds or so. You can see her spine and her ribs, but she is still very energetic, bright eyed, and happy.

However, a few things are bothering me, and I am very confused.

Number one, the vet said it might be cancer. He sighted her bloodwork from the summer. Why didn't he say that then? If I hadn't brought her in again, he wouldn't have said anything at all!

Two, when I told him about the "wobbliness" that caused us to take her to the vet in the first place, he said it was probably arthritis, even though I told him she wouldn't eat that day! This all seems so confusing and bizarre to me that I think I am going to go crazy. Is this normal?!?

Three, I don't know what I should be feeding her. She is way too skinny. We got more of the Gastro, but I am going to feed her a mixture of it, her low fat kibble, and boiled chicken breast to help get weight back. Is this a good idea? To be honest, we simply can no longer afford to keep her on only the Gastro. We have been selling our things to help pay for it, but it costs over 300 dollars a month, and though I would give anything to make her better, we just don't have the money. Also, I am not getting any answers.

I am probably rambling, and if so, I apologize. I love her so much, and I just want to know what is going on, get some help, and get her well again. But like I said, aside from the weight loss, she seems great.

What are your thoughts on this all? Anything you might be able to offer will be hugely appreciated.
Old March 8th, 2011, 10:17 AM
Senior Contributor

Sabin, I am so sorry that you and Athena are going through this. I do not have any advise for you except maybe get a second opinion. for you both. Sure would like to see some pictures of your furbaby. patti
Old March 8th, 2011, 10:25 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

I hope somebody can offer you some advise soon .

I would like to comment that I feed my cats a homemade raw diet and it is much, much cheaper to feed a quality homemade diet, than any quality food and certainly cheaper than any vet food.

Jasper, male Ragdoll ?? (approx 10 yrs)
Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 7 yrs)

Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old March 20th, 2011, 03:52 PM

I would get a second opinion. I am going through the same thing over the last few weeks (see me thread). The first Vet I spoke with, after seeing the blood work told me my dog was going to die and there's nothing I can do about it.

I got a second opinion and was told otherwise. Perhaps if you do go into the vet ask them for some home made recipes unique to your dogs problem. Apparently they have recipes readily available from their Prescription Food suppliers.

I was just checking online today for my dog if she doesn't start eating her canned food and there are LOTS of pocket-friendly home made recipes. I would consult with your Vet first though.

Try to stay positive and I'm sure everything will work out!
Old March 24th, 2011, 01:16 AM

What are the blood values that are out of range?