Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old February 27th, 2011, 10:56 PM

crating and separation anxiety

does any one have any good websites for crate training and separation anxiety. Based on what my roommate said this is what Penny seems to have. I know how to do crate training but im not sure i could put it in to words well enough for someone else to follow.
Old February 28th, 2011, 04:00 PM

Here are some tips that we use at the rescue. The important thing is to not make it a big deal about coming and going. good luck
Attached Images
File Type: pdf sepax.pdf (15.8 KB, 86 views)
Han Solo - Male Flashy Fawn Boxer - DOB Oct. 2004 (RESCUE)
Chewie - Male White Boxer - DOB Aug. 2007 (RESCUE)
Geordi - Male Fawn Boxer - DOB 2009

The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated. - Mohandas Gandhi -

~Until there are none, rescue one ~

www.wbbr.ca
Old February 28th, 2011, 04:07 PM
-
Asteroids Champion, Starship Legend Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Bounce Back Champion, Breakout Champion

Hm totallyhip said the main sentence,,don't make it a big deal,,they can put her in there for meals while she's home so she wont associate the crate with them leaving,,leave the door open and toss a toy in just let her go in and get it,,don't even aknowledge it..didn't read the pdf cause didn't have time to download it,,i'm sure totallyhip has given you excellent info tho.
Old February 28th, 2011, 10:24 PM

Oh yes, for sure agree with Aslan. Don't let her associate the crate with them leaving. Put her in there to eat, or just chill out.
Han Solo - Male Flashy Fawn Boxer - DOB Oct. 2004 (RESCUE)
Chewie - Male White Boxer - DOB Aug. 2007 (RESCUE)
Geordi - Male Fawn Boxer - DOB 2009

The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated. - Mohandas Gandhi -

~Until there are none, rescue one ~

www.wbbr.ca
Old February 28th, 2011, 11:02 PM

thanks! ill pass the link on to her
Old March 3rd, 2011, 06:59 PM

I didn't read what was in the link so sorry if any of this is redundant. Both of my dogs have had separation anxiety (newly adopted pup is starting to get over it, I've had my older boy for a while so he's mentally healthy and well adjusted now).

As mentioned, just leave the crate door open all the time, and view the crate as their "room" or their safe place. It is not used as punishment, and it is not used just for when the dog is home alone. Most importantly, coming and going must be quiet, calm, and stress free! So, when you come home and doggie is whining and carrying on in the crate, they don't come out until nice and calm. When dog is jumping and all excited to greet after you come home, turn your back and ignore until she is calm.

My neighbour's dogs have separation anxiety and they can carry on all day long howling and being ridiculous, which makes it very hard for me to get work done. And then they come home and talk to the dogs in the high voice or the excited voice and give them attention when they're jumping all over, thereby rewarding that behaviour and increasing anxiety/excitement about mom and dad coming home.

Start by leaving for short periods of time and extend them. Try crating while you're in the shower, etc. Also, don't let Penny be your "velcro dog" when you're home-don't let her follow you constantly, and encourage her to lay on her own (in her crate, on a dog bed, etc) while you're sitting or doing something, and when you want to cuddle, play, etc, then call her to you. Good luck!
Old March 4th, 2011, 01:37 PM

I'm free-balling it here, but as I recall from the Handbook of Applied Behavior and Training, they note a decrease in SA when the dog is left in a familiar and well trafficked place (ie. don't banish the dog), a properly sized crate is of course essential. And - on this one my memory is less certain - but a soft toy seemed to better than a hard chew toy.